Sponsored

Oil change at dealer. 5 vs 6 quarts. Not a repeat thread. LOOK!

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Taking the opportunity to revive this old thread, as this happened to me yesterday.

Got my first oil change.. used jeep wave at the dealer near my house vs. the one I purchased from even though they have great reviews (first mistake). I don't think i'll bother using the other two after this.

I dropped it off Sunday night, as I had to work early. I went Monday after work to get it and two things immediately stuck out:

1. 6 quarts of 0w20
2. 4 tire rotation

I did not ask for a tire rotation at this point, and the fact that they didn't rotate all 5 was frustrating. I don't have the fifth on to just rot in the sun. They are going to rotate the fifth one in on the weekend.

I went out and checked the dip stick, went right back in and told them what was the issue. Thankfully they DID listen to me and drain a quart out after showing them the manual and the dipstick, but it resulted in me spending an extra hour and a half after work waiting. I could have done all of this in a fraction of the time, but thought "hey I have a few free oil changes, what the hell!".

I was chatting with another wrangler owner waiting almost two hours for his appointment and I warned him of the same thing.

How is this still happening 4 years after the release of the JL?

It depends on the dealership, I have had just the opposite experience from April 2018 to now, each oil change had the correct amount and tire rotations as requested. I even purchased the Mopar oil change package 3 oil changes for $150 (twice). My dealer requires no appointment for this, I arrive at 7:00 and I'm on my way back home before 8:00. I enjoy working on my vehicles, but for the price and convince its a good deal, plus for some reason Advance Auto in my area stop accepting used oil so harder to dispose of the old oil...
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
It depends on the dealership, I have had just the opposite experience from April 2018 to now, each oil change had the correct amount and tire rotations as requested. I even purchased the Mopar oil change package 3 oil changes for $150 (twice). My dealer requires no appointment for this, I arrive at 7:00 and I'm on my way back home before 8:00. I enjoy working on my vehicles, but for the price and convince its a good deal, plus for some reason Advance Auto in my area stop accepting used oil so harder to dispose of the old oil...
You might check on this....I think the EPA requires that anyone selling motor oil has to take used oil for recycling. Not 100% on that but I have heard or read that more than once.

Jihx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
After thinking this over a bit I decided I will try it again, just not there. I will take it to the dealer I ordered it from as they seemed to be the only ones with their heads on straight trying to order tuscadero pink.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
After thinking this over a bit I decided I will try it again, just not there. I will take it to the dealer I ordered it from as they seemed to be the only ones with their heads on straight trying to order tuscadero pink.
Good luck, we're rooting for you!

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
You might check on this....I think the EPA requires that anyone selling motor oil has to take used oil for recycling. Not 100% on that but I have heard or read that more than once.
How about Amazon? Just about everybody that I know, purchases their oil from them.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
How about Amazon? Just about everybody that I know, purchases their oil from them.
It would have to be brick and mortar, obviously. But at least in my AO, all Autozone, Advance Auto, Napa, O'Reilly, and Walmart Auto Centers take used oil with no fuss.
Maybe he ran into a rogue manager, or an ignorant/lazy employee.

A fun thing to do would be to properly bottle up your used oil, label it appropriately, and send it back to Amazon.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I used to be a RVP for Advance Auto Parts and had 400 stores on the West Coast. Only reason they would/should stop taking oil is if their recycle container was full. You may want to check back at some point.

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Instead of proclaiming exactly how much a tech should add, just handle it like any other car since the beginning of time. Request it be filled according to the dipstick, and NOT overfilled.

Drain it, fill it with what should be a touch low (4.5 or 4.75 or 5 if you are feeling frisky!) , run it, shut it off, let it sit a minute, check it. Add as needed, hash marks represent 1QT. Not rocket science.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Instead of proclaiming exactly how much a tech should add, just handle it like any other car since the beginning of time. Request it be filled according to the dipstick, and NOT overfilled.

Drain it, fill it with what should be a touch low (4.5 or 4.75 or 5 if you are feeling frisky!) , run it, shut it off, let it sit a minute, check it. Add as needed, hash marks represent 1QT. Not rocket science.
I just use entire 5qt jug, always exactly at the top hash marks, and yeah, definitely not rocket science. The JL V6 is by far the easiest DIY oil change I've ever done, and in 45 years I've probably done over 200 on my own vehicles and another hundred when I worked in a shop.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I used to be a RVP for Advance Auto Parts and had 400 stores on the West Coast. Only reason they would/should stop taking oil is if their recycle container was full. You may want to check back at some point.
Thanks, I will check back and try another store....

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
So took the Jeep in today for the 2nd of the 3 Mopar oil changes, went to my normal dealer for the Express lane oil change, and I was told they are no longer providing that service due to lack of employees and that you now have to make an appointment (wow for an oil change), so I declined and went back home, then drove to another dealership and no problem I was in and out in 50 minutes, checked the level and it was spot on (despite invoice stating 6 quarts) SA said the system does that by default. My new 2022 Rubicon just hit the KZ status and estimated to be shipped on 7-15 and delivered on 8-2 so I won't get to use my 3rd oil change. the SA said its registered to the vehicle and cannot be transferred......

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My 2018 3.6 with 5 qts puts me at the top of the mark on the dipstick.
My 2021 3.6ET with 5 qts puts me at the bottom mark of the dipstick.
When I bring my 2018 to the dealership they put in 5 qts.
When I bring the 2021 to the dealership they put in 6 qts. :headbang:

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
Taking the opportunity to revive this old thread, as this happened to me yesterday.

Got my first oil change.. used jeep wave at the dealer near my house vs. the one I purchased from even though they have great reviews (first mistake). I don't think i'll bother using the other two after this.

I dropped it off Sunday night, as I had to work early. I went Monday after work to get it and two things immediately stuck out:

1. 6 quarts of 0w20
2. 4 tire rotation

I did not ask for a tire rotation at this point, and the fact that they didn't rotate all 5 was frustrating. I don't have the fifth on to just rot in the sun. They are going to rotate the fifth one in on the weekend.

I went out and checked the dip stick, went right back in and told them what was the issue. Thankfully they DID listen to me and drain a quart out after showing them the manual and the dipstick, but it resulted in me spending an extra hour and a half after work waiting. I could have done all of this in a fraction of the time, but thought "hey I have a few free oil changes, what the hell!".

I was chatting with another wrangler owner waiting almost two hours for his appointment and I warned him of the same thing.

How is this still happening 4 years after the release of the JL?
this happened to me except 2 added return trips, one to check it (cause they thought i was the idiot) and another to drain oil. didnt even comp the oil change cost. Have done my own since.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My 2018 3.6 with 5 qts puts me at the top of the mark on the dipstick.
My 2021 3.6ET with 5 qts puts me at the bottom mark of the dipstick.
When I bring my 2018 to the dealership they put in 5 qts.
When I bring the 2021 to the dealership they put in 6 qts. :headbang:
You should check your dipsticks and see if they're the same length, inquiring minds want to know :)
Sponsored