Sponsored

Oil change at dealer. 5 vs 6 quarts. Not a repeat thread. LOOK!

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Had dealer change oil today. I have very good relationship with them. I told the sales manager 5 quarts only. He personally took it back to instruct the tech.

He comes and gets me 30 min later. We check dipstick together and it was smack in the middle of the 'safe zone'. This was with 5 quarts. The tech did say it takes 6 quarts. He looked it up in the Amsoil book. Me and the manager again confirmed 5 quarts in owners manual. So maybe this is why dealers are putting in 6 quarts, because it is listed incorrect in the Amsoil book? Also, why would 5 quarts only put it in the middle of the safe zone? Shouldn't 5 quarts put it at the top of the safe zone? He is going to ask the Fiat rep why 5 quarts only puts it in the middle of the safe zone.

Oh, we also verified the gun used was dispersing the correct amount of oil. Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Middle is correct.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Amsoil has always listed 5 quarts for 3.6L JLs.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Had dealer change oil today. I have very good relationship with them. I told the sales manager 5 quarts only. He personally took it back to instruct the tech.

He comes and gets me 30 min later. We check dipstick together and it was smack in the middle of the 'safe zone'. This was with 5 quarts. The tech did say it takes 6 quarts. He looked it up in the Amsoil book. Me and the manager again confirmed 5 quarts in owners manual. So maybe this is why dealers are putting in 6 quarts, because it is listed incorrect in the Amsoil book? Also, why would 5 quarts only put it in the middle of the safe zone? Shouldn't 5 quarts put it at the top of the safe zone? He is going to ask the Fiat rep why 5 quarts only puts it in the middle of the safe zone.

Oh, we also verified the gun used was dispersing the correct amount of oil. Anyone have any ideas?
Yet another reason I hate other people doing my oil changes.
I've got 36k miles on mine and EVERY TIME it is right at the top of the hash mark where it should be. On a level surface I DRAIN the oil from the oil pan, DO NOT suck the oil out through the dipstick like many service departments do. I replace the filter and then add one entire jug (5 qts) of Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. Run the Jeep for about a minute and then wait a few minutes for it to settle.
It will put it right dead on at the top of the hash mark.
NOW... I have noticed once and awhile that when I check it right after changing it won't even be on the dipstick, then I recheck and it is. Yes, I am making sure the dipstick is all the way in. It's an odd occurrence but at the end of the day it is always at the top of the hash mark where it belongs. I will periodically check it as well and it's always there.
These guys that are telling you mid hash mark is normal are wrong; you are under filled when it is like that.

The JK takes 6 qts and I believe this is because it has a different oil pan. 6 qts WILL overfill a JL, there are repeat posts on that.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for confirming this. So 5 quarts puts it smack dab in the middle of the safe zone.
No it doesn't, 5 qts will put it right at the top of the hash marks.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There have been so many people out there where the dealers are putting in 6 qts that they are getting tags to put near the oil fill. For $7 I got one made for the extremely rare occasion where someone else will do my oil change.

upload_2019-8-19_14-16-4.png

And yes... there have been people with a tag on like this and the dealership STILL puts 6 qts. in.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No it's not.
Ah ha, you are correct. (But I wouldn’t sweat a reading in the middle, as that is still in the safe zone.)

3E62BD15-94CF-4A80-8699-368C6DB6A84D.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ah ha, you are correct.

3E62BD15-94CF-4A80-8699-368C6DB6A84D.jpeg
It may say keep it in the safe zone but the FACT is 5qts will put you right at the top of the hash mark... where it belongs. I've been wrenching on cars for 30 years and EVERY time I do an oil change it's put right at the full notch. That's the safest place to be since if you develop a small leak or burn some oil you have more of a buffer to stay in the safe zone.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have to ask... does the tag go clackity-clackity bouncing around in there?
Lol..... I’m sure it does, however, with sewing machine noise coming from the engine, wind noise, various squeaks and rattles that comes standard on all Jeeps, to be honest with you, I can’t actually hear it. And if the jet engine happens to turn on, aka cooling fan, then there’s no hearing anything else, lol.......:)
Sponsored