Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Truggy, Tube Buggy on 43s, 4Runner, JLU XR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon
I am using the JLT Performance catch can. I am at a touch over 4000 miles and mine was full a couple weeks ago because I forgot to check it at oil change. So it definately works. I have had it on since new. I also have the JLT CAI.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil catch can for 2021 3.6 etorque img_2021-04-22_19-20-33

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Not sure about the e-torque part, but my UPR is fantastic. The real test is to run a catch can for a while and then take the "clean line" off of the intake manifold and check for oil. I had oil every time with the mishimoto. I have none with the UPR. Highly recommend the UPR. Very well designed and effective catch can

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure about the e-torque part, but my UPR is fantastic. The real test is to run a catch can for a while and then take the "clean line" off of the intake manifold and check for oil. I had oil every time with the mishimoto. I have none with the UPR. Highly recommend the UPR. Very well designed and effective catch can
Looked at instructions and engine bay and looks like it will still mount in same location.. So I ordered.

Sponsored

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI. The UPR fits with Etorque no problem. Seems high quality and easy to install.

e-torque-catch_can.jpg

Cllowe

First Name
christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door jl
Not to sound ignorant but what exactly is the benefit of this?

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Your PCV is essentially a breather for the crank case that gets rerouted to the intake for combustion. It's more of an emission thing since they don't let it breath into the atmosphere anymore. The catch can basically helps trap most if not all the contaminates(oil) in the vapor before it gets ingested by the intake tract. There are great debates here about whether to purchase one or not. I ran one in my 3.6 and also have one in my 6.4. My thoughts are this: I am aware that they are multi port injected motors and having one is not necessary because the intake valves get washed by fuel before combustion, however why not try to keep your intake valves cleaner over time? I don't worry about the other argument about fuel/octane dilution due to the oil vaper being added to the combustion cycle. Now if you have a direct injected motor then it would be more advantageous to have one.

If you have the money to spare, and don't mind draining it every so often why not. You'll be surprised how much you collect. I am sure others will chime in. I don't mind the added chore of having one. The guys at UPR are awesome and they make a great product. Definitely worth the money.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As stated in the post above it helps trap oil from going into the intake and killing octane and generally making a mess of the intake and runners with oil and carbon deposits.. The oil sort of cokes on to the hot surfaces unless fuel is directly washing it off.

But there is another reason on a Jeep..

If you watch videos of JL and JKs (at least with the 3.6) get on really steep angles.. You will often see a literal smoke show start taking place out of the exhaust.. The reason is the when the Jeep gets at that angle the PCV is directly sucking oil into the intake from the back of the valve cover where oil is collecting from gravity (it has to be really steep for this to happen).. While it will still run like this until the oil clears it will greatly decrease the life of the catalytic converters. Not to mention all the sludge coked on to the intake runners etc. The catch can should catch most of that oil.

As far as the octane argument goes.. Here is how it sort of works in theory.. I tuned high HP street cars years ago and definitely saw this take place.. As you drive around the PCV is constantly coating the intake and runners with oil that clings to the surfaces with tension.. the motor is slowly burning off the solid parts of the oil as it leaks off the surfaces.. Once you open up the throttle blade and velocities go up to max (even NA but even more so boosted). All that oil ends up contaminating the fuel/air mixture being burned in each cylinder and your effective octane drops dramatically.. Leading to detonation and loss of power or worse if running very high cylinder pressures.. The motor has knock detection so it will pull timing typically until it clears, but you lost a lot of efficiency in the process. This is very prevalent on motors that mostly run at low output.. but suddenly go to WOT for passing etc. There is usually one or two cylinders that end up with most of the oil based on design of the intake and flow characteristics.

Most mfgs have gotten better with the PCV design overall (especially with Direct injection). Pulling the air via the valley cover vs the valve cover and usually there is a set of baffles that help trap the oil internally and drain it back down as non aerated oil.. but it seems the penstar has very little of this and pulls directly off the valve cover.. There may be a small baffle. but that is not usually the best design. Since the penstar is still port injected... I guess they just don't see it as an issue and it is probably not for most users.
Sponsored

Last edited: