Oil catch can and Jeep warranty

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Can/does putting on an oil catch can void the Jeep manufacturer warranty? If so, why? I like the idea and the science behind it and Im interested in getting one, but it is a new Jeep (2021 JLU80) and I don't want to give the dealership any ammunition in refusing any possible future repair. Please advise.
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
It won’t unless they dealer can show that it caused the warranty problem (Magnusen Moss act). Why are you thinking you need a catch can? Getting a lot of blow by or ?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It won’t unless they dealer can show that it caused the warranty problem (Magnusen Moss act). Why are you thinking you need a catch can? Getting a lot of blow by or ?
This right here is way too much of a blanket statement. Most Dealerships and FCA for that matter will do everything in their power to deny a warranty claim if possible. Just look around this forum, all the proof you need is in the posts. Some guy was literally denied a warranty claim on a leaking rear main seal because the transmission was covered in MUD, and guess what .... FCA sided with the dealership. They can come up with the most ridiculous reasons that literally make no sense to void a warranty. I always get a good kick out of individuals that tell you to lawyer up in these situations....

Yes, adding a catch can may very well get warranty work denied if something goes wrong with your engine. Nothing would be voided though, you could always take it off, go to another dealership and they will fix your issue.

OP
OP
mgarciaknight

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
The JLU only has 3000 miles on it now so really no sign of it. However, I have a 2010 Liberty with the 3.7L with 230,000 miles on it and at around 100K noticed lots of carbon build up and some sludge everywhere in the internals. Cleaned it up very nicely and a friend suggested adding an oil catch can, and now it is bone dry and super clean. I empty out the can every three/four months and get a few oz/ml of oil trapped. So I want to prevent or help the JLU engine for the future. I keep my Jeeps for a long time. And I thought that would be a useful great idea. But someone suggested it may void the new Jeep warranty and wanted a different point of view and/or opinions, maybe with some experiences and facts. It seems counterproductive that helping the engine would void the warranty.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Yes, adding a catch can may very well get warranty work denied if something goes wrong with your engine. Nothing would be voided though, you could always take it off, go to another dealership and they will fix your issue.
Probably not. If a warranty repair is denied because of a catch can at one dealer they will most likely have entered that information into the computer system as to the reason why. If the owner then goes to another dealer it's all right there for them to read why it was previously denied .

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Probably not. If a warranty repair is denied because of a catch can at one dealer they will most likely have entered that information into the computer system as to the reason why. If the owner then goes to another dealer it's all right there for them to read why it was previously denied .
I would be inclined to agree with you but members on here, including myself, have been "denied" warranty work and went to other dealerships to get the same work performed without a hassle.

I'm pretty sure FCA doesn't follow the same policies as other vehicle manufacturers. For Example, most vehicle manufacturers will absolutely not let you do your own maintenance regardless of receipts shown.

In the end I have no idea how the hell it works, all I know is nothing is consistent when it comes to FCA....

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm pretty sure FCA doesn't follow the same policies as other vehicle manufacturers. For Example, most vehicle manufacturers will absolutely not let you do your own maintenance regardless of receipts shown.
I have done my own oil changes for 40 years and never had a warranty issue with any manufacturer. The only ones I let the dealer do were my 2 BMWs as they covered it under the new car warranty :).

I've never heard of any dealer refusing warranty work solely because the owner did their own oil changes. Keep the receipts and mileage and you should be fine.

The FTC says it's illegal for a dealer to deny warranty coverage just because you had someone other than them, or yourself, do the routine maintenance work. Now if you did shoddy work and forgot to replace the oil drain plug, well then that's on you. :)
Sponsored