Oil Catch Can and Blow-by

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Wait, I keep 5W30 in the jeep in the summer, it even says 5W30 on the cap. 2.0T Etorque.

I *might* put a thinner grade in the winter, unless the warranty people are watching.
no kidding, I had no idea the 2.0 takes 5w-30. That's food for thought. Pentastar here, and trying to get rid of low speed pre ignition
Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Any evidence that oil consumption is up on engines using 0w-20? In my experience, it’s never the oil’s fault. Poor PCV design is most oil consumption that is considered “normal”.
i don't care about oil consumption specifically. I'd be fine with using the same amount as long as it doesn't end up in the combustion chamber.

I want to eliminate low speed pre ignition in my pentastar, and -think- it's because too much oil is ending up mixing with fuel in the combustion chamber due to the oil being thinner

every tech article i read about LSPI seems to talk about oil the most and what oil companies are trying to do to reduce LSPI with oil formulations. Why would they be doing that? I think that's a hint that they know high-compression engines running 20-weight oil for fuel economy purposes are having more oil in the combustion chamber, causing knock.

But it's just an idea i wanted to float to the guys who know more about this stuff

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
i don't care about oil consumption specifically. I'd be fine with using the same amount as long as it doesn't end up in the combustion chamber.

I want to eliminate low speed pre ignition in my pentastar, and -think- it's because too much oil is ending up mixing with fuel in the combustion chamber due to the oil being thinner

every tech article i read about LSPI seems to talk about oil the most and what oil companies are trying to do to reduce LSPI with oil formulations. Why would they be doing that? I think that's a hint that they know high-compression engines running 20-weight oil for fuel economy purposes are having more oil in the combustion chamber, causing knock.

But it's just an idea i wanted to float to the guys who know more about this stuff
Are you having an oil consumption problem?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just keep in mind that nasty oil you drain from the catch cans is the exact same oil that is circulating in the rest of the engine.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Just keep in mind that nasty oil you drain from the catch cans is the exact same oil that is circulating in the rest of the engine.
Not really, the oil in the catch can has all the contaminates that have boiled out of the oil (water, unburned hydrocarbons, blow-by etc.)
Gregj

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Not really, the oil in the catch can has all the contaminates that have boiled out of the oil (water, unburned hydrocarbons, blow-by etc.)
Gregj
Yeah personally I'd rather have those contaminants in a catch can than reburned through my intake and exhaust system causing loss of catalytic converter life, carbon buildup, etc.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Is there any consensus on which catch can is "best"? I have a 2.0T Non-Etorque

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any consensus on which catch can is "best"? I have a 2.0T Non-Etorque
They all perform the same function. I knew I would be emptying mine often so that was something I took into consideration. The mishimoto has a drain line with petcock under the front driver side. Takes seconds to empty it.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
They all perform the same function. I knew I would be emptying mine often so that was something I took into consideration. The mishimoto has a drain line with petcock under the front driver side. Takes seconds to empty it.
Im leaning towards the Mishimoto but I don't believe there's a drain line with the 2.0 kit, it reads towards the bottom of their site that they don't recommend the use of a drain kit with this catch can.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Gregj
The cans are only catching a small portion of the oil that is circulating under the valve covers, what about the rest of the oil, why would it be any cleaner than what the can catches?

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The cans are only catching a small portion of the oil that is circulating under the valve covers, what about the rest of the oil, why would it be any cleaner than what the can catches?
I am neither for or against catch cans but I think you misunderstand their location, they are plumbed into the PVC hose and separate out the oil vapor in the crank vapors that are entering the manifold, ie the “blow-by”. They are not catching any of the oil circulating under the valve cover. The oil circulating under the valve cover goes through the filter.
Gregj

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im leaning towards the Mishimoto but I don't believe there's a drain line with the 2.0 kit, it reads towards the bottom of their site that they don't recommend the use of a drain kit with this catch can.
Interesting.. it's not even in the same location as the 3.6l. There must be something blocking the driver side down to fenderwell.. hmmm.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I am neither for or against catch cans but I think you misunderstand their location, they are plumbed into the PVC hose and separate out the oil vapor in the crank vapors that are entering the manifold, ie the “blow-by”. They are not catching any of the oil circulating under the valve cover. The oil circulating under the valve cover goes through the filter.
Gregj
Same air/oil mist that is in the crankcase is under the valve covers. The pcv hose comes off the valve cover. The oily mist is literally sucked right out from under the valve cover.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Same air/oil mist that is in the crankcase is under the valve covers. The pcv hose comes off the valve cover. The oily mist is literally sucked right out from under the valve cover.
Exactly.. the same oily mist combined with fuel dilution and combustion gases. It's a nasty mix that used to vent to atmosphere, now it's reburned.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right, I think he was under the impression that the catch can was somehow integrated into the valve cover instead of in the PVC hose.
Sponsored