Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the UPR installed for about 25K miles now and have been very happy with it. I dump it every 2K as it does pass quite a bit of oil through it and it will fill long before an oil change at 5K. The oil in the can contains much more carbon in it versus what comes out of the sump. Plenty of arguments for/against, but I would rather prevent the oil from being re-introduced via the intake and subsequently burned.
True, what dumps from the catch can is pretty nasty looking.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know... what mine empties is much darker than what's on the dipstick shortly after changing the oil.. of course you're sampling upper crankcase on the dipstick but it's a huge difference 2k after an oil change.

I know fluid 'color' means nothing but it's of note.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
does this sit directly on top of the oil filter and have to be removed when you change the filter ?
Yes. The dealer still does mine and hasn’t balked about it (not to mention they’ll bump my engine warranty out to 100K miles if they do the oil/filter change).

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I only bought one to reduce the oil I was burning when off-roading when the front end is sticking up high in the air. I wouldn’t buy one otherwise

The smoke I used to put out on some of those obstacles was ridiculous

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I only bought one to reduce the oil I was burning when off-roading when the front end is sticking up high in the air. I wouldn’t buy one otherwise

The smoke I used to put out on some of those obstacles was ridiculous
And this is their only true purpose.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Just change the engine oil more frequently and you would not need an oil catch can.
More frequently than what? I change mine at 5K. Should I reduce to 3K? 😒

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
I cannot explain it better than this:
Well there's 17 minutes of my life I'll never get back. All he said was that engine R&D people "designed" the engine to burn off the oil blowback because it's not prudent to release it into the atmosphere - but honestly what other option do they have? Just because the engine is "capable" of burning it off, doesn't mean it should. As he mentioned, there's been no scientific testing performed to show the results.

There's no "confirmation bias" here. I researched thoroughly and came to the conclusion that generally, burning oil is not a good thing. There's no scenario I can see where that would be a good thing for the engine over several years, or that having an oil catch can would be BAD for your engine over several years.

So at best: it helps keep the engine cleaner over time. At worst: it's a minor unnecessary expense and a few extra minutes of labor to drain it during an oil change. To me there's only an upside, but to each their own. This whole forum is filled with people who do unnecessary things to their vehicles, so this should fit right in.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Just installed one last night. Seems like these pentastars in wrangler / gladiator engine bays (heat dissipation) can use all the help they can get between cooler air intake temperatures and not having to burn blow-by. I get low rpm rattle occasionally. If the catch can helps, great, if not, it won't hurt. I do know that i've never had an engine make a racket at low rpm before, so there's got to be something that will help. $200 to just eliminate that factor from the equation and move on to trying other things works for me :like:

E74F99F8-C7E6-46E3-A5AE-055AD993C3FD.jpeg

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
At worst: it's a minor unnecessary expense and a few extra minutes of labor to drain it during an oil change.
Depending on where you live, it would also prevent you from passing an emissions test.
Sponsored