Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Howdy!

Just curious if any of you are using an oil catch can in the 3.6L and if you’re catching much blow-by? And if so, what can are you using …a Name Brand, cheap one from Amazo* (they ain’t getting no free advertising from me), a homemade beer can?

Regards,
Jason
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Howdy!

Just curious if any of you are using an oil catch can in the 3.6L and if you’re catching much blow-by? And if so, what can are you using …a Name Brand, cheap one from Amazo* (they ain’t getting no free advertising from me), a homemade beer can?

Regards,
Jason
I use a UPR one and empty mine every 2K on the road. Could probably empty less frequently but it’s easier for me to remember at that interval. Never measured how much comes out but it’s significant enough to me. I’ll also change out before and after wheeling trips.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I use a UPR one and empty mine every 2K on the road. Could probably empty less frequently but it’s easier for me to remember at that interval. Never measured how much comes out but it’s significant enough to me. I’ll also change out before and after wheeling trips.
does this sit directly on top of the oil filter and have to be removed when you change the filter ?

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I run the Mishimoto catch can and think it is worth the extra coin for the quality and ability to do a remote drain without having to remove the can.
I also have the Mishimoto and I agree with this. Been meaning to check mine, but don't want to take all the stuff off to get to it.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Catch cans are only marginally helpful on direct injection engines.
The 3.6 has traditional fuel injection, so carbon buildup is not an issue.
Just adding another point of failure IMO, but to each their own.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
does this sit directly on top of the oil filter and have to be removed when you change the filter ?
You plumb it on the PCV so that oil, water, unburnt fuel, and I believe even dirt doesn’t go back into the intake manifold thereby helping to keep carbon buildup at a minimum. The stuff that an oil catch can catches can look like crap (quite literally). Very simple to install and empty. Some have a nipple on the bottom with a lever to easily release the contents. On my Yukon I have a screw off one that I simply remove and empty into used oil container.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
You plumb it on the PCV so that oil, water, unburnt fuel, and I believe even dirt doesn’t go back into the intake manifold thereby helping to keep carbon buildup at a minimum. The stuff that an oil catch can catches can look like crap (quite literally). Very simple to install and empty. Some have a nipple on the bottom with a lever to easily release the contents. On my Yukon I have a screw off one that I simply remove and empty into used oil container.
👍
the install location of the UPR can is what i'm questioning here. the location based on website photos seems... interesting.

5032-235__50379.1547761203.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Catch cans are only marginally helpful on direct injection engines.
The 3.6 has traditional fuel injection, so carbon buildup is not an issue.
Just adding another point of failure IMO, but to each their own.
…I just reread your post and realized our engines may have port injection. Definitely new to the Pentastar engine and there is a little learning curve 😉

I do agree with you, but still will install a can for kicks and grins.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
👍
the install location of the UPR can is what i'm questioning here. the location based on website photos seems... interesting.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil Catch Can and Blow-by 5032-235__50379.1547761203
It is directly above oil filter. So every time you change filter, it will remind you to empty the can as well.

The overall plumbing length is similar to factory PCV pipes. Can't say that to Mishimoto, not that it matters.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Mishimoto catch can. It was easy to install and it's really easy to drain. I have no complaints at all. The pic below is after ~4000 miles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil Catch Can and Blow-by 20210709_170143

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil Catch Can and Blow-by 20210709_170143
Did you read the instructions?
That's about the same my 3.6 pushes through the catch can every 4k.. crazy..

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the UPR installed for about 25K miles now and have been very happy with it. I dump it every 2K as it does pass quite a bit of oil through it and it will fill long before an oil change at 5K. The oil in the can contains much more carbon in it versus what comes out of the sump. Plenty of arguments for/against, but I would rather prevent the oil from being re-introduced via the intake and subsequently burned.
Sponsored