Sponsored

Oil capacity of JL Rubicon

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Maybe that's why our ATs aren't "serviceable", these Dolts would put the oil in the wrong hole :(
Sponsored

4x4Funlover

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
I was standing outside the roll up door at my local stealership today and had to correct the tech when shouted out to his buddy(maybe trainer) to Add 6qt. I just said, "only 5qts" and the other guy looks down the side of the jeep and says "this is a JL it only gets 5 dude". so at least some of them are starting to get it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
People are creatures of habit. All of us. 8 or 9 years and about 9.8 milion gen 1 Pentastars have burned 6 quarts into their heads. It takes a little time to undo that and force them to think a little. I guarantee there are JL owners who previously owned JKs chaning their own oil that are putting 6 quarts in these things, too. Go back a little further and you'll see the JK's from 07 to 11 with the 3.8 also took 6 quarts. Fortunately, though, with the 3.8, if you add too much oil, it will burn off a quart very quickly and get it back to where it should be! :LOL:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
People are creatures of habit. All of us. 8 or 9 years and about 9.8 milion gen 1 Pentastars have burned 6 quarts into their heads. It takes a little time to undo that and force them to think a little. I guarantee there are JL owners who previously owned JKs chaning their own oil that are putting 6 quarts in these things, too. Go back a little further and you'll see the JK's from 07 to 11 with the 3.8 also took 6 quarts. Fortunately, though, with the 3.8, if you add too much oil, it will burn off a quart very quickly and get it back to where it should be! :LOL:
@DanW

It goes further back than that! The YJ and TJ’s 4.0 took six quarts, as did the carbureted 4.2 in the YJ. The last jeep engine to take five quarts of oil was the CJ’s 304 and 360 back in the AMC days.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
It’s pretty sad you have to resort to this in order to tell the dealer service department how to do their job. Maybe Jeep should recall all oil caps on JLs and replace with ones that have how much oil goes in.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Attaching anything to the dipstick is pointless, they’re obviously not using the dipstick. if they were using the dipstick you wouldn’t need to tell them they put in to much oil the dipstick would tell them it has too much oil.
The problem, nobody is using the dipstick.

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Attaching anything to the dipstick is pointless, they’re obviously not using the dipstick. if they were using the dipstick you wouldn’t need to tell them they put in to much oil the dipstick would tell them it has too much oil.
The problem, nobody is using the dipstick.
1. One of the first dealerships that put in 6 quarts, I showed how high up on the wire above the knurled markings it was. They said that was normal. Wrong. I showed them in the JL manual, 5 quarts, not 6.

2. The dog tag attached to the dipstick is super obvious when you open up the hood. It sticks out. Shiny like a fishing lure. The first time I brought it in for an oil change after I added the dog tag, they commented about it. They told me that the 5 quarts on the dog tag was wrong and that it was 6 quarts. lol Then I showed them in the JL manual that it is 5. They apologized and said they would of put in 6 if it wasn't for the tag. It at least sparked the conversation.

3. It would be a good idea to also put something on the oil cap, but something that doesn't get in the way of removing the cap or doesn't require drilling into it. I saw that picture where someone wrote 5 quarts on it. I wonder what they used to write that with and if will be still on it after a few months of heat. I'd think a yellow sharpie would wear off due to the heat in the engine compartment. And I think a label on the cap would also wear off. Wording baked into the mfg of the oil cap would be the best.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Is that 5.0 Qts with, or without a new oil filter?

Friday, I went and had my oil changed, and they claimed to have added 5.5 Qts, together with a new oil filter.

I went and check my oil later, after it set for a while, and the engine was cold, and it showed the level to be where the tip attaches to the cable. Of course, once the engine is started and oil fills the oil filter, that level will go down.

I watched the lub guy at the dealer, and after filling, he went and started up the engine for a few moments in order to fill the oil filter, shut it off, and then check the oil level.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon

Friday, I went and had my oil changed, and they claimed to have added 5.5 Qts, together with a new oil filter.

I went and check my oil later, after it set for a while, and the engine was cold, and it showed the level to be where the tip attaches to the cable. Of course, once the engine is started and oil fills the oil filter, that level will go down.

I watched the lub guy at the dealer, and after filling, he went and started up the engine for a few moments in order to fill the oil filter, shut it off, and then check the oil level.
AB15349B-6731-476F-8628-8E3A8B7F2687.jpeg

14982977-95D6-48B8-A2B0-159457E1FBBE.jpeg

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

It's five quarts... just five quarts. As in, empty the old oil from the jeep, put the drain plug back in, and then put five quarts of oil in. If you want to prime the filter before putting the filter in the jeep, do so using oil from your five quart jug.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

Take your manual, open it to the page where it says “5 quarts with filter” and show it to your dealer. Ask your service advisor to explain to you why the company that made the vehicle would be wrong and why the dealer is right. When the service advisor is done spewing crap, ask him to get FCA on the line. Put the FCA rep on speaker and ask FCA to tell the service advisor the correct amount of oil.

Then, when all of that is done, find a different dealer.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Take your manual, open it to the page where it says “5 quarts with filter” and show it to your dealer. Ask your service advisor to explain to you why the company that made the vehicle would be wrong and why the dealer is right. When the service advisor is done spewing crap, ask him to get FCA on the line. Put the FCA rep on speaker and ask FCA to tell the service advisor the correct amount of oil.

Then, when all of that is done, find a different dealer.
Changing your own oil is easier than easy, why oh why would you let this insanity continue???
Just take 15 minutes out of your schedule and put all this to rest, and you will also have the benefit knowing that nothing was f'd up along the way :)
At least that's my take on this whole debacle.

Instarand

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I did my 2nd oil change and specified to have 5 quarts put in not 6 like the previous time they did it. Came back and ask the guy if they used 5 because the sheet said 6 quarts and he told me the JL actually uses 5.5 so they have to put 6 on the worksheet. I checked the dipstick and it's slightly over the full mark. I let it go

The first time it was well over the mark and had them fix it.

So yeah dealers wont get this right til the next gen comes out :lipssealed:
Where are you located? The same thing happened to me today. I got my first oil change and noticed the paperwork said 6 quarts. So I inquired and the manager came back and said something along the lines of, “I spoke with the tech, he said he used 5.5 as indicated in the computer but has to put 6 on the paper since it was more than 5...”

I checked the oil when I got home. I turned the engine off and waited 5 minutes per the manual. The oil level reads at the very top of the “safe zone.” It’s basically touching the top dot.

It’s the wild Wild West out there!!
Sponsored