First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The JL capacity is 5 quarts for both the 3.6 and the 2.0T.

The JKs engine oil capacity is 6 quarts, which is why you'll hear some people say to use 6 quarts, they're just used to 6 qts. for the last 11 years.

3.6 needs API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil that meets FCA Material Standard MS-6395.

2.0T needs API Certified SAE 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil that meets FCA Material Standard MS-13340.

Instead of changing the oil every 3,000 miles, think about changing the filter every 3,000 miles and the oil every 6,000 miles.
With today's standards, if you use a good quality oil, you should easily be able to go 6,000 miles or more, it is the filter that I would be more concerned about. Most automotive filters do not have a lot of filter paper in them and can easily be used up within 3,000 miles, depending on driving environment.

Doing a little oil sampling/testing during your oil change will tell you how dirty your oil really is. It is fairly inexpensive and you only need to do a couple samples until you find the "sweet spot" for change intervals.

Many of the larger auto parts chains have oil sampling kits available.
Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
100% right @SecondTJ... :like:

I was thinking people's mindsets with the 4 door Jeeps. Most still have no clue about the differences between the JK and JL.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
If anyone actually finds metal shavings in their oil or filter, even after the initial few hundred miles, you have a problem.
You will absolutely find metal shavings in your oil during the first oil change. It’s not like you’re going to find frosted flake sized metal shavings, but you will see them at the bottom of your catch container when you have finished draining your oil.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You will absolutely find metal shavings in your oil during the first oil change. It’s not like you’re going to find frosted flake sized metal shavings, but you will see them at the bottom of your catch container when you have finished draining your oil.
That's strange then. On each of my last three new vehicles that I've owned that were easy enough for me to change the oil myself, I haven't found any visible metal shavings in my drained oil at the first oil change. If they were there, they had to be microscopic or were captured by the oil filter. Absolutely no sign of anything that someone should be concerned about well beyond the specified break-in period. These are not your father's or grandfather's engines anymore. Modern machining processes and tighter tolerances have all but eliminated what you seem to be concerned about. I'd strongly suggest that everyone use a high quality extended performance oil filter designed for synthetic oils.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
That's strange then. On each of my last three new vehicles that I've owned that were easy enough for me to change the oil myself, I haven't found any visible metal shavings in my drained oil at the first oil change. If they were there, they had to be microscopic or were captured by the oil filter. Absolutely no sign of anything that someone should be concerned about well beyond the specified break-in period. These are not your father's or grandfather's engines anymore. Modern machining processes and tighter tolerances have all but eliminated what you seem to be concerned about. I'd strongly suggest that everyone use a high quality extended performance oil filter designed for synthetic oils.
If you saw something glittering in your oil, those are oil shavings. But to your point, with the engineering of today’s motors along with quality oil, early oil changes are probably not as necessary as they were in the past. However, it’s cheap insurance.

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
... I haven't found any visible metal shavings in my drained oil at the first oil change. ...
The point being that you won't know until you look, and many people feel that looking early and knowing is better than waiting and crossing fingers.

Similarly, you could also just cross your fingers and hope that QA and pre-delivery inspections were done properly when you purchase a new vehicle, or you could check fluid levels, tire pressure, etc. yourself, and know.

Peace of mind isn't always free.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The point being that you won't know until you look, and many people feel that looking early and knowing is better than waiting and crossing fingers.

Similarly, you could also just cross your fingers and hope that QA and pre-delivery inspections were done properly when you purchase a new vehicle, or you could check fluid levels, tire pressure, etc. yourself, and know.

Peace of mind isn't always free.
I agree that you won't know until you look. My point is that you don't need to look prior to the first recommended oil change interval. Changing your new Wrangler's oil early is not necessary.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I did my 2nd oil change and specified to have 5 quarts put in not 6 like the previous time they did it. Came back and ask the guy if they used 5 because the sheet said 6 quarts and he told me the JL actually uses 5.5 so they have to put 6 on the worksheet. I checked the dipstick and it's slightly over the full mark. I let it go

The first time it was well over the mark and had them fix it.

So yeah dealers wont get this right til the next gen comes out :lipssealed:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I did my 2nd oil change and specified to have 5 quarts put in not 6 like the previous time they did it. Came back and ask the guy if they used 5 because the sheet said 6 quarts and he told me the JL actually uses 5.5 so they have to put 6 on the worksheet. I checked the dipstick and it's slightly over the full mark. I let it go

The first time it was well over the mark and had them fix it.

So yeah dealers wont get this right til the next gen comes out :lipssealed:

It is Not debatable..... the 3.6L on a JL gets exactly 5 quarts of oil.

Another clueless Service Department that says FU, we do as we please....we don't listen to the vehicle owner and or FCA.

A Service Department to be avoided.. one of many.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I’ve done my own oil changes for the last 20 years because of this BS. Anytime I buy a brand new car, it gets an oil change to M1 with a wix filter at 1k. After that I go by what the vehicles computer says (used to go by 5k mikes on cars before they’d tell you when)

Last edited:

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
All these botched oil change threads could be stopped immediately if only jeep was smart enough to design some type of a device that would allow the owner or person doing the service to know the oil level in the engine. Some type of a simple mechanical device that would allow any person with any Intelligence to use this thing, we could paint the end a bright yellow so everyone would see it . I don’t know let’s call it a “dipstick” For this discussion. This simple device could be used by anybody to know the oil level in your engine and then they would immediately know if it was over or under full. Pretty clever idea ha ha well I guess we could only dream maybe someday jeep I’ll come up with this advanced technology. For now we just have to rely on the computers and whatever gets put in the motor gets put in the motor and we just have to hope it’s right.
Also another suggestion for Jeep how about a little book or manual that might educate us on our new vehicles that has the oil capacity and how to check the oil. Let’s call that a “owners manual”.
Yes , there’s a lot of common sense here so try to digest it slowly.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Buy your own oil in 5 qt. jugs
/thread

Bloody Nova

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Civic SI sedan
Occupation
Retired
Im at the dealership right now and wouldn't except the vehicle.. they put in 6 quarts . I explained thats to much oil. The oil level was on the wire. I told the service manager thats to much oil. He actually told me, thats only because the oil hadn't gotten up into the filter housing yet. And thats after the tech drove the jeep back up to the front and i went outside with the tech to check the level. I wouldn't except the vehicle until it's corrected. So they're fixing it now.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Im at the dealership right now and wouldn't except the vehicle.. they put in 6 quarts . I explained thats to much oil. The oil level was on the wire. I told the service manager thats to much oil. He actually told me, thats only because the oil hadn't gotten up into the filter housing yet. And thats after the tech drove the jeep back up to the front and i went outside with the tech to check the level. I wouldn't except the vehicle until it's corrected. So they're fixing it now.
I’m disgusted with JEEP for allowing this to continue, TWO YEARS after the introduction of this new engine.

Frankly, in my opinion, if a dealership can’t get this right, they likely can’t get anything else right either.
Sponsored