Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares and everybody else, my son has a 2018 JL Rubicon and it’s got a few bells and whistles but he had his first oil change and he sent me a pic of the service ticket and the very first thing I noticed was it said 6 quarts of 0w-20 and I advised him to check the dipstick and if the level was up on the wire it’s overfilled and it’s up on the wire so I told him to go back to the dealer and he did and he told them it was over filled to which they replied “ we have been told to put 6 qts in” and this was the service manager where he purchased the Jeep.

He lives out of state so @JeepCares along with everyone else what can been done to have this corrected, I live to far away to drive up there to help him and they basically told him 6 qts was fine and that’s what they put in all JL’s and that was the Service Manager that told him this so @JeepCares can you possibly pm me and I can give you his information as he’s not a mamber here.

He even took the manual and showed them the capacity and they said they have been instructed to put 6 qts in so is this something new or is this BS....
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Sounds like the Service Manager is clueless, imagine how the rest of the service bay is running? Tell him to run from that place (and drain out a quart ASAP).
Not sure the oil capacity of the 2.0 4cyl, I'm referring to the V6.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
It’s 5 quarts. This is a systematic issue that FCA has yet to figure out. Scares me to think they can’t correct a simple issue like this. Have your son return to the dealer and show them the manual. He should push them to correct the issue. Just because they do every JL that way doesn’t mean it is the correct way.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What is it with these dopey dealer techs that they don't check it after they fill it? My local oil cahnge shop does it. I do it, even after putitng 5 quarts in and I know 100% for sure it takes 5 quarts.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
This is why I change my own oil. Forget the free Jeep Wave ones - you get what you pay for.

Sponsored

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
It does take a little time for the 5 to register to the full point on the stick but it will.. 6 would overfill it by a lot. Verified after doing my first at 1K miles myself.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Dealers across the country have been doing this, my dealer did this too. Scratch it off to habit of putting 6qts in JKs and other pre ESS Pentastars.

After bringing it up to my service adviser he checked and showed me FCA document with Big WARNING on top reminding that JL takes 5qts of oil not 6.

Seems like that service manager is just too ignorant to look it up...

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’ve had my jeep about a month. I did look at the oil when I got it because they told me they had just changed it (jeep had 4K miles when I bought it). I saw a post today about overfilling the oil so I just went and double checked. Yep, they put 6 in it. My guess is these jeeps get overfilled (both at the dealer and probably most other places) more often than not. Guess I need to drain a quart out.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It does take a little time for the 5 to register to the full point on the stick but it will.. 6 would overfill it by a lot. Verified after doing my first at 1K miles myself.
Why change the oil at 1,000 miles? I'm guessing you feel the engine tears thru its metal components like a Cuisanart. Here's what Consumer Reports (I know they hate Jeeps but this is for all vehicles) says:
Some swear by the “every 3,000 miles or every 3 months” rule, but advances in engines and oil have made that guidance obsolete. Many automakers have oil-change intervals at 7,500 or even 10,000 miles and 6 or 12 months for time.

“Your owner’s manual has more detailed information about your car than any mechanic does,” Ibbotson says. “Don’t get talked into too-often oil changes. Follow the manual and your car’s engine should stay well-lubricated and perform well.”

Over the course of two years and 30,000 miles, assuming that your oil change costs $40 a pop, you could save $240 if you get it changed every 7,500 miles vs. every 3,000 miles.

It’s not just about miles: If you don’t drive your car a lot, your oil still needs to be kept fresh. Even if you drive fewer miles each year than your automaker suggests changing the oil (say, 6,000 miles, with suggested oil-change intervals at 7,500 miles), you should still be getting that oil changed twice a year.

Why? Oil becomes less effective as it ages, and by not getting the engine warm enough, excess moisture that forms in the engine will not be removed, which can lead to shorter engine life.

AAA says same thing:
Depending on vehicle age, type of oil and driving conditions, oil change intervals will vary. It used to be normal to change the oil every 3,000 miles, but with modern lubricants most engines today have recommended oil change intervals of 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Moreover, if your car's engine requires full-synthetic motor oil, it might go as far as 15,000 miles between services! You cannot judge engine oil condition by color, so follow the factory maintenance schedule for oil changes.

California is trying to get its residents to quit changing oil every 3,000 miles because it wastes billions of quarts of oil. And knowing CA if people don't stop frequent changing they will put a $50 tax on each quart of oil.

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I’ve had my jeep about a month. I did look at the oil when I got it because they told me they had just changed it (jeep had 4K miles when I bought it). I saw a post today about overfilling the oil so I just went and double checked. Yep, they put 6 in it. My guess is these jeeps get overfilled (both at the dealer and probably most other places) more often than not. Guess I need to drain a quart out.
I figure I’ve put 3000 miles on this thing with 6 quarts, what’s another day going to hurt? But OCD cuts in and next thing you know I’m on the floor with a catch pan, oil measuring cup and some towels. The oil was still warm, not hot. I used a 1/2” wrench (yes, it is an english not metric head) and loosened the bolt. I spun it out until I heard the end of the threads click, then put my catch can (a 1 pint graduated oil measuring cup) and pulled the plug out. It shoots out pretty fast. Once I filled the cup up once, I put my index finger over the hole , dumped the oil in another container, then filled it again, plugging the drain hole with my finger. I did a quick finger out, drain plug in maneuver (with all the expected oil splatter) and then screwed the plug bolt in. I waited a few minutes, then went back up top and checked the dipstick. The oil was at the right level now. I went back and tightened the plug to 20 foot-pounds (I looked the torque up on the Mopar specs page. The OP for this thread said to tighten the bolt a quarter turn past when it stops. That cant be right, that would be way more than 20 foot pounds.

Anyway, I ran the motor, looked for leaks. Now I can sleep tight. I’ll never let anyone change the oil in this again.

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Why change the oil at 1,000 miles? I'm guessing you feel the engine tears thru its metal components like a Cuisanart. Here's what Consumer Reports (I know they hate Jeeps but this is for all vehicles) says:
Some swear by the “every 3,000 miles or every 3 months” rule, but advances in engines and oil have made that guidance obsolete. Many automakers have oil-change intervals at 7,500 or even 10,000 miles and 6 or 12 months for time.

“Your owner’s manual has more detailed information about your car than any mechanic does,” Ibbotson says. “Don’t get talked into too-often oil changes. Follow the manual and your car’s engine should stay well-lubricated and perform well.”

Over the course of two years and 30,000 miles, assuming that your oil change costs $40 a pop, you could save $240 if you get it changed every 7,500 miles vs. every 3,000 miles.

It’s not just about miles: If you don’t drive your car a lot, your oil still needs to be kept fresh. Even if you drive fewer miles each year than your automaker suggests changing the oil (say, 6,000 miles, with suggested oil-change intervals at 7,500 miles), you should still be getting that oil changed twice a year.

Why? Oil becomes less effective as it ages, and by not getting the engine warm enough, excess moisture that forms in the engine will not be removed, which can lead to shorter engine life.

AAA says same thing:
Depending on vehicle age, type of oil and driving conditions, oil change intervals will vary. It used to be normal to change the oil every 3,000 miles, but with modern lubricants most engines today have recommended oil change intervals of 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Moreover, if your car's engine requires full-synthetic motor oil, it might go as far as 15,000 miles between services! You cannot judge engine oil condition by color, so follow the factory maintenance schedule for oil changes.

California is trying to get its residents to quit changing oil every 3,000 miles because it wastes billions of quarts of oil. And knowing CA if people don't stop frequent changing they will put a $50 tax on each quart of oil.

1K was the 1st oil change and it is my way of knowing what is in my vehicle and how I choose to take care of it. You can take care of your vehicle how you choose to listen to all that noise. Not a problem for me. I won't get into a debate why I do it but let's just say I'm not speaking from a keyboard and magazine article. It's simple for me.. Do what suits you best.

Last edited:

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
Changing out the break in oil really early is not an uncommon thing in the card world. Maybe it's my time in the sports car world, but you get most of the engine break in wear in the 1st few hundred miles and want to get any metal flakes out quick.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Changing out the break in oil really early is not an uncommon thing in the card world. Maybe it's my time in the sports car world, but you get most of the engine break in wear in the 1st few hundred miles and want to get any metal flakes out quick.
If anyone actually finds metal shavings in their oil or filter, even after the initial few hundred miles, you have a problem.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I plan to change my "break-in" oil around 1k.

But eventually I'll likely be around 10k OCI's like all my other vehicles, and I will base this on an OA from Blackstone

Anyone spouting anything about OCI's without a lab analysis to back your claims is literally shooting in the dark
Sponsored