Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Is there some time threshold that I could meet that would make an oil change warranted before my indicator gets to 0% or I hit 10k miles? I've owned my Jeep since February of this year but with everything going on right now in the wolrd I only have about 1,900 miles on it. At this rate it could be over a year before I need my first oil change. Just doesn't seem right to wait that long.
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I’ll never understand people who dogmatically subscribe to arbitrary OCIs, well under the manufacturer recommended OCI when blackstone and other UOA providers can supply objective testing to tailor OCIs to specific engines...for a lot less money than doubling the rate of oil changes.
....and a lot less environmental impact..... excess oil changes mean excess waste, even with synthetic and recycling 100% a lot of energy goes into that process.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Is there some time threshold that I could meet that would make an oil change warranted before my indicator gets to 0% or I hit 10k miles? I've owned my Jeep since February of this year but with everything going on right now in the wolrd I only have about 1,900 miles on it. At this rate it could be over a year before I need my first oil change. Just doesn't seem right to wait that long.
I think the standard recommendation is to change oil annually, but if you have quality oil in it (this is supposedly the case), and a decent filter (the oem filter is nothing special, but I wouldn't think it will break down) you should be fine going a year and a half. However, I don't think I could stop myself from changing the oil and filter at the 2 year mark whether or not I hit the 10k mileage threshold.

I think if the oil life monitor showed 50% after a year I would pick a convenient date on the calendar and change it then every year.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Sorry,but I'm old school, I hug my jeep,not trees. When the new synthetic oil came out,they forgot about seals in the engine, so good bye ford van.
I changed the oil at 2,007 miles, with synthetic oil (they fix it) and my oil change sticker says 5007 miles,that had a date of 7-7-20, have not made the 3,000 mark so it will stay.
When I bought a used car,the first thing was an oil change and then another at 1,000 after that.
I did my own oil change,bought oil on sale, so it didn't cost a lot.
I had 12 oils changes with my jeep,now 11, all synthetic oil and my dealer does then.
My GMC AT4 3.0 Duramax got it's free oil change at 2000.
Oil is like blood,the cleaner,the better,just ask your doctor!

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
I think the standard recommendation is to change oil annually, but if you have quality oil in it (this is supposedly the case), and a decent filter (the oem filter is nothing special, but I wouldn't think it will break down) you should be fine going a year and a half. However, I don't think I could stop myself from changing the oil and filter at the 2 year mark whether or not I hit the 10k mileage threshold.

I think if the oil life monitor showed 50% after a year I would pick a convenient date on the calendar and change it then every year.
It would also be recommended to check the oil level periodically (maybe every other month after a drive) and specifically look for signs of moisture accumulating in the oil. Lift the cap and check underneath for creamy oil, and on the oil dipstick for creamy oil. Some areas that have a high amount of humidity could allow moisture to accumulate in the oil if its not run very often and doesn't allow the oil to heat up to full operating temperatures on the regular.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It would also be recommended to check the oil level periodically (maybe every other month after a drive) and specifically look for signs of moisture accumulating in the oil. Lift the cap and check underneath for creamy oil, and on the oil dipstick for creamy oil. Some areas that have a high amount of humidity could allow moisture to accumulate in the oil if its not run very often and doesn't allow the oil to heat up to full operating temperatures on the regular.
Yes, this is common sense maintenance. If it's white and frothy you got a problem. If it's black as tar you got a problem.

Besides that follow the oil life sensor. I target to do an oil change when it gets under 20%. At that point the oil that comes out is still looking good.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Sorry,but I'm old school, I hug my jeep,not trees. When the new synthetic oil came out,they forgot about seals in the engine, so good bye ford van.
I changed the oil at 2,007 miles, with synthetic oil (they fix it) and my oil change sticker says 5007 miles,that had a date of 7-7-20, have not made the 3,000 mark so it will stay.
When I bought a used car,the first thing was an oil change and then another at 1,000 after that.
I did my own oil change,bought oil on sale, so it didn't cost a lot.
I had 12 oils changes with my jeep,now 11, all synthetic oil and my dealer does then.
My GMC AT4 3.0 Duramax got it's free oil change at 2000.
Oil is like blood,the cleaner,the better,just ask your doctor!
Would you do a blood transfusion without running some tests on your blood first, based largely on the experience of another person who needed a transfusion for a completely different condition? Using an arbitrary oil change interval without bothering to get a vastly cheaper used oil analysis to justify it isn’t much different.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Per the manual;
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil Analysis Results After 10k+ Miles With Factory Fill Oil 0B539FEC-58EE-4571-9E2E-3801BC9FBF74

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Per the manual;
Jeep Wrangler JL Oil Analysis Results After 10k+ Miles With Factory Fill Oil 0B539FEC-58EE-4571-9E2E-3801BC9FBF74
10,000 / 350 = 28.6
Almost 30 MPH average doesn't seem like a stretch for someone who spends a majority of time in town.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Would you do a blood transfusion without running some tests on your blood first, based largely on the experience of another person who needed a transfusion for a completely different condition? Using an arbitrary oil change interval without bothering to get a vastly cheaper used oil analysis to justify it isn’t much different.
Particulates and colesteral are good things to keep out of oil and blood!

Last edited:

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It took about 2 weeks, to get the results. They called and verified what tests I wanted and kinda walked me through how to get the information I was looking for, like the soot. I was surprised that the additives were still good at 10k miles, and the recommendation of trying 12k miles. I think I'll stick with FCA's advice on following the "oil life meter" until oil samples start coming back bad.
A couple of things to note:

1. Blackstone's methodology for testing soot is subjective and if you are basing the oil life on that you are going to need to find a different lab.

2. TBN rarely, if ever drops, below the minimum level required for service in a diesel. Soot and other contaminants like fuel dilution normally make the oil no longer serviceable long before TBN does.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Per the manual;
0B539FEC-58EE-4571-9E2E-3801BC9FBF74.jpeg

This this this this this.

I don't know where the "10,000 mile interval" idea started, but your goal is NOT to go 10,000 miles. 10,000 miles is the absolute maximum and the point where your warranty finds itself in jeopardy.

Ideally, you should be looking at the 8,000ish mile range to see your oil life monitor hit 0%. If not, I'd suggest going ahead and changing it anyhow.

I did my first change at a little past 4,000 miles and already had significant metal content in the oil from break-in.