First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
FCA says to follow the oil life meter, so I did. Factory oil stayed in till 10,144 miles, about 80 miles past 0% if I remember correctly. I'll be doing this for every oil change going forward.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil Analysis Results After 10k+ Miles With Factory Fill Oil 1596251405036
Sponsored

Last edited:

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Is the "so try 12,000" a recommendation to take the next change to 12,000 miles?

BearcatMLA

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep 3.0L diesel granite crystal metallic
How much was this service and how quick did you receive the report?

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
How much was this service and how quick did you receive the report?
I paid $60 for the tests I had done, here is a link
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests/tests-price-list/

It took about 2 weeks, to get the results. They called and verified what tests I wanted and kinda walked me through how to get the information I was looking for, like the soot. I was surprised that the additives were still good at 10k miles, and the recommendation of trying 12k miles. I think I'll stick with FCA's advice on following the "oil life meter" until oil samples start coming back bad.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Motoristx

So, you plan to do a $60.00 panel of tests, every time you do an oil change.....

:lipssealed:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
No thanks! 5k mile changes for me.
Counter intuitive, but technically you can see more wear in a sample when changing the oil early (when compared to averages). At least that's what I've read on BITOG. Not to say that it is bad for your engine, because we are talking about very very small amounts here. As in barely perceptible, and it will take many oil changes and a fair amount of consistency to get good data.

I'm struggling with the decision on if I should run UOA's right now. If a person doesn't try to extend their OCI's, they are more or less doing it out of curiosity. Which is fine. Trying to stay within warranty boundaries is where stuff gets tricky. It will be easy for any manufacturer to deny a claim and then make you tell them why your extended OCI's didn't cause the problem.

It's all a roll of the dice.

Thanks for doing this and sharing with us @Motoristx

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Motoristx

So, you plan to do a $60.00 panel of tests, every time you do an oil change.....

:lipssealed:
I’ll probably do the standard test and the soot test, which comes to $40, from now on... Sure it adds to the cost of maintenance, but I’d like to have it documented, to share with everyone. For 2 reasons actually...

I’ve read a lot that people delete the EGR for longevity, to prevent soot from accumulating in the oil, which drastically increases wear. I don’t really want to go that route, as the EPA has gone after people and companies that remove the emissions, and we have vehicle inspections in my area. These oil analysis will tell me if it’s a problem in my engine, and I’d like to share that with everyone interested.

Also, I bought mine from SouthFork Jeep, in the Houston area, and they offer a lifetime power-train warranty included on the vehicles they sell. If I did start to have any problems with premature wear or failure, I’d have everything documented.

runjhike

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
That's 2.4 times as many oil changes than their recommended 12k interval.

At $40 per test, the break even point is around $28.50/oil change.
I learned many years ago that oil changes are cheap insurance. On a car the savings isn’t that big of a deal, however, with 9 qts of synthetic and a $90 oil filter that’s not the case with the 3.0. But still, in the big scheme of things, extra oil changes aren’t going to bankrupt me and given the history of the modern diesel’s emissions issues I still think it’s worth it. I will say getting periodic oil samples with soot testing is definitely a good thing! But even with sampling, a 12k interval is long time to hope nothing has contaminated the oil, like internal metals and soot.

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I’ll never understand people who dogmatically subscribe to arbitrary OCIs, well under the manufacturer recommended OCI when blackstone and other UOA providers can supply objective testing to tailor OCIs to specific engines...for a lot less money than doubling the rate of oil changes.

runjhike

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor
I’ll never understand people who dogmatically subscribe to arbitrary OCIs, well under the manufacturer recommended OCI when blackstone and other UOA providers can supply objective testing to tailor OCIs to specific engines...for a lot less money than doubling the rate of oil changes.
You do you buddy. Nothing arbitrary about it. A 12k interval gives you zero chance to catch a problem before damage is done.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Do yourself a favor and never let FCA see that report. I've seen at least one EcoDiesel owner (of a Ram 1500) who needed engine work under warranty and was denied because his personal oil records showed that he exceeded the maximum 10,000 mile limit once.

The owners manuals all state to never under any circumstances exceed 10,000 miles on an oil change. This seems to insinuate that 7,500 to 8,000 miles is probably ideal.

My oil change monitor gets to 0% around 8,000ish miles.

My oil analysis looked very similar to yours when I did it at 4,200 miles. High metals from break-in, but fantastic TBN number. The factory fill is good stuff.

1stOilChange.jpg

OP
OP
Motoristx

Motoristx

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
that’s right, I’m just following the Oil Life Meter. Mine hit 0% Just after 10k. It’s 80% highway miles... maybe that’s why it lasted longer for me.
Sponsored