First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Diesel
Build Thread
Link
So, I put a lot of miles on my Jeep. It was delivered on March 14th 2020, and I have over 18,000 miles on it now (11/20/2020). The dealership put Rotella T6 5w-40 in it for the first oil change, even though it doesn’t meet the MS-12991 spec. I drove around a bit and really didn’t notice a difference in regenerations or anything. Of course I haven’t paid attention, and I don’t have a Scan Gauge to let me know. After 6700+ miles, I had the oil changed and requested the correct spec oil. Here is the oil analysis for the Rotella T6 oil.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oil analysis after dealership put Rotella T6 oil in my 3.0 1605891560896

Notice, it has both the factory oil’s results, and the first oil change on the left, which is the Rotella T6.
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Basically it performs as expected with the “exception” of slightly higher viscosity which I’m sure the 12991 spec dropped for efficiency purposes. I doubt the difference is enough to limit lubrication in the setting of relatively low oil pressures in the gen3 3.0.

Last edited:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Oh no, tear out your hair and run around screaming, the 'wrong oil' was used! Lol. I'm glad to see the report looks fine. I knew some dealerships would be using their bulk diesel oil instead of a spendy fill that meets 'spec'.

You'd have to run it out a little further towards that 10k mark and get many many more samples, but my guess says the results would be within the safety margins on average.

Thanks for sharing man.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I think the other concern that was raised with T6 was it predisposing to turbo coking...someone who knows more than I about that issue maybe can chime in about whether there are identifiable differences on a UOA from coking.

MeekoDiesel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD Sting Gray , 1948 Willys CJ2A , 1976 Chevy C10 , 1998 Honda Civic
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Technician - Shearon Harris Nuclear Station
One of the main reasons for the gen-3 oil spec is that it calls for a low-SAPS oil (Sulphated ash, phosphorous and sulphur). These metallic minerals are found in engine oil and over time get past the pistons and sent down the exhaust. The DPF catches them along with the soot from combustion. The DPF is able to burn off soot but it cannot get rid of the ash from the metallic oil additives. So oil and Diesel engine manufacturers over the last several years are calling for low SAPS oil to prolong the life of exhaust system components.

Rotella I’m sure is great for lubrication purposes but it isn’t a low SAPS oil. Over time it might not protect the after treatment equipment quite as well from ash buildup.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I used the Pennzoil Euro as specified at the time in my '14 GC 3.0 then about 2 years in they changed spec to the Rotella T6 so ran it for the last 3 years I had it. Had about 150k on it when traded and was a quiet as it was when new. Never considered the T6 an inferior oil.
Sponsored