Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Cold starts in upstate NY, or even warm starts in the morning leave me with a second or two of light rattling. What do you think? A little garden variety oil additive to increase viscosity? Or just let the engine do its thing and wear out at 250k miles?
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Cold starts in upstate NY, or even warm starts in the morning leave me with a second or two of light rattling. What do you think? A little garden variety oil additive to increase viscosity? Or just let the engine do its thing and wear out at 250k miles?
Assuming you have the 3.6 V6, use a great 100% synthetic oil like Amsoil at the correct viscosity this engine was designed with... 5w-30 SAE (not the 0w-20 SAE that FCA recommends so that they can help get the CAFE government regulations off their back). It should resolve your issue.

Mine has lot smoother starts and no rattling since I did my first oil change at 1004 miles.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
I changed my oil with full synthetic Amsoil 0W-20 and it actually rattles / ticks more now. Wonder if the 5W-30 will really work in quieting it down?
Sponsored