Ohlins to expand offerings to the JL and JT

JNL111

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
JL community, Suspension lovers, and top gear fans (if you get the reference)

Good News, Ohlins is revamping the JL offerings and will have carryover into JT products as well. More to follow. What might you like to see in such an offering? What do you look for in a Premium shock?

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
JL community, Suspension lovers, and top gear fans (if you get the reference)

Good News, Ohlins is revamping the JL offerings and will have carryover into JT products as well. More to follow. What might you like to see in such an offering? What do you look for in a Premium shock?

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg
I have a few questions:
  • How long have they been working on these? Are they serious about bringing a product to market this time? I've been watching this thread for updates: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/king-shocks-for-jl.4514/#post-256929
  • I would like to see the lower shock mounts be made out of something more durable than aluminum, or the shocks to be designed with the shaft on the high side (where it can't be damaged). Something that can take a little trail-rash.
  • Obviously valving is important, but I'll leave that to the experts
  • Matching steering stabilizer?
  • Be sure to account for the various axle and wheel/tire combinations. A sport with stock tires has way less unsprung mass than a JL with Dana 60s and 40" tires.
  • Since you seem to have an 'in' at Ohlins, can you push for new products? I'm specifically looking for the Vespa PX & GTS. Ohlins (Indonesia) already makes shocks for the Vespa LX/Sprint, so it's not too far of a stretch.

CarterRuss

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 07 RS4
I have a few questions:
  • How long have they been working on these? Are they serious about bringing a product to market this time? I've been watching this thread for updates: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/king-shocks-for-jl.4514/#post-256929
  • I would like to see the lower shock mounts be made out of something more durable than aluminum, or the shocks to be designed with the shaft on the high side (where it can't be damaged). Something that can take a little trail-rash.
  • Be sure to account for the various axle and wheel/tire combinations. A sport with stock tires has way less unsprung mass than a JL with Dana 60s and 40" tires
So what you are saying is it is likely not even close to coming to market? Love Ohlins, would love to see them in a non-coilover setup. Won't hold my breath given this same topic was posted almost 18 months ago.

OP
OP
JNL111

JNL111

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL RUBICON
I have a few questions:
  • Be sure to account for the various axle and wheel/tire combinations. A sport with stock tires has way less unsprung mass than a JL with Dana 60s and 40" tires.
  • Since you seem to have an 'in' at Ohlins, can you push for new products? I'm specifically looking for the Vespa PX & GTS. Ohlins (Indonesia) already makes shocks for the Vespa LX/Sprint, so it's not too far of a stretch.
Perfect Post AnnDee4444,
So what you are saying is it is likely not even close to coming to market? Love Ohlins, would love to see them in a non-coilover setup. Won't hold my breath given this same topic was posted almost 18 months ago.
Good things come to those who wait :)

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Last year, Ohlins was purchased by the same company that owns Rancho. Though I don't know about Rancho, a number of other companies purchased by this parent ultimately ended up offering crap products. So everything you once knew about Ohlins no longer stands today. RIP Ohlins.

Sponsored

BDJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Last year, Ohlins was purchased by the same company that owns Rancho. Though I don't know about Rancho, a number of other companies purchased by this parent ultimately ended up offering crap products. So everything you once knew about Ohlins no longer stands today. RIP Ohlins.
Well this thread suddenly makes a lot more sense. I have the explanation I was looking for, I’ll step out of this conversation. Good luck to all parties involved.
I found this in their press release located here:

"Öhlins is an integral part of what will become our new Aftermarket and Ride Performance company. Its premium technology and brand reputation will strengthen our OE and aftermarket portfolios while enhancing our position in the global advanced suspension systems space."

I think we've all seen this before. A highly regarded boutique company with a great reputation gets bought up by a conglomerate, and their name gets slapped on all kinds of mass produced junk sold at a premium price to extract as much profit as possible. This is actually kind of sad.

RIP Ohlins.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yep totally agree. The quality and R&D time spent do way down but yet they still expect the same premium price because of the name. Sad but they will sell a ton because usually the marketing engine behind those companies will get the product out to the masses and they will pay for the sticker.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Anybody remember Marzocchi? Their mountain bike forks and moto forks were infamous. They too were bought by the same parent company. That was another example of a company whose products turned to garbage afterward. They're no longer even on the radar.
Sponsored