Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
I've nearly 7000 miles on a custom ordered 2019 that was delivered in December. Issues I've had were a constantly crashing dash cluster, the center console handle breaking right away, and defroster issues. Today I can add having my transmission just going. Nothing unusual. I was cruising down the highway towing a light Jeep trailer with an 80lbs canoe and some lifejackets, etc.. We're going around the speed limit when I start to smell burning clutch. I turned off a few miles from home. As my RPMs in any grear climbed straight up my gauges I stopped. No forward drive at all.

I managed to find a neighbor to tow my trailer so then called AAA. They sent a flat truck. The dude proceeds to cut my Jeep loose, it rolls downhill into my now disconnected M416 trailer, which is sitting in front of my buddies truck. There were plenty of frayed, rusted straps. The damned thing looked like The Flying Dutchman. I had to ride in my Wrangler as this old dude hoisted my busted butt up the bed of the tow truck. He was guiding a very rusty cable into an ancient winch using an old rusty ice scraper.

Muh. Baby. It's sitting at a rural dealership. When they replaced the warrantied console cover they had to be shown by me that you have to also swap the lock tumblers...

IMG_20190526_171029.jpg

IMG_20190526_171026.jpg
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Man I hate to hear that. Hopefully they can get you back together right and correct all the issues you’re having. Doesn’t sound like a fun experience with the wrecker though

Brett

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
So it sounds like it was the clutch and hopefully not actually the transmission?? I’ve heard a couple other clutch issues but nothing about the actual trans yet.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
So it sounds like it was the clutch and hopefully not actually the transmission?? I’ve heard a couple other clutch issues but nothing about the actual trans yet.
You're probably right. I just jumped right to the worst thing possible. It's a Holiday today so I'm guessing it'll be tomorrow before I can talk to them.

Last week my ESS began to crash and a warning light would go on. No other issues. I read on these forums it could be due to a loose wire in the door connection? I had taken the doors off last week, so thought it was the possible cause.

All I can say is, thank goodness it happened to us while we were only 4 miles from home. I just the other week drove to Chattanooga and back! No issues. I've been using the cruise control a lot on highways. I wonder if that's the issue? I didn't use it until I drove on that trip.

Sponsored

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
Hopefully a new clutch and related parts will have you back on the road again. That rollback wrecker definitely looks like it has seen better days. From your picture, tie down placement leaves a little to be desired.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
So what's the normal turnaround on fixing a clutch. It was indeed my clutch. It's been 11 days. I'm just curious what others have experienced.

Also, is it typical for a shop to never call you with information? I have to drive over there in my wife's car to find out ANYTHING. I also asked for pricing for swapping out my stock suspension for the Rubicon suspension, a .5" Teraflex spacers, and the longer Mopar control arms (all of which I have). I've asked twice now for the cost. Nothing. Nadda. Zilch.

I'm thinking I may switch service shops. Hopefully the other dealership will be cool with me having bought my 19 JLU at this one.

JoeFromPA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 M3
So what's the normal turnaround on fixing a clutch. It was indeed my clutch. It's been 11 days. I'm just curious what others have experienced.

Also, is it typical for a shop to never call you with information? I have to drive over there in my wife's car to find out ANYTHING. I also asked for pricing for swapping out my stock suspension for the Rubicon suspension, a .5" Teraflex spacers, and the longer Mopar control arms (all of which I have). I've asked twice now for the cost. Nothing. Nadda. Zilch.

I'm thinking I may switch service shops. Hopefully the other dealership will be cool with me having bought my 19 JLU at this one.
It’s a one day job. Maybe two if it was started mid day.

Either they didn’t prioritize it or they are waiting for parts to come in.

JoeFromPA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 M3
Ps when a clutch fails that way there is a chance it can damage or mess up surrounding parts. So, for example, they may have the clutch but a flywheel is taking longer.

Nonetheless the shop should be keeping you updated.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Ps when a clutch fails that way there is a chance it can damage or mess up surrounding parts. So, for example, they may have the clutch but a flywheel is taking longer.

Nonetheless the shop should be keeping you updated.
I know it's in their shop waiting for parts but no one has told me exactly what part. I'll just be patient. Just wish I knew when I may be getting it back. It's not that I don't mind riding my bike everywhere but I miss having my Jeep.

Sponsored

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
Doesn't FCA include roadside coverage for five years on new Jeeps ?

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Doesn't FCA include roadside coverage for five years on new Jeeps ?
Either way I used AAA as I've been a member since the early 90s. Just habit.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I know it's in their shop waiting for parts but no one has told me exactly what part. I'll just be patient. Just wish I knew when I may be getting it back. It's not that I don't mind riding my bike everywhere but I miss having my Jeep.
sorry youre having to deal with this man, i hope they get it righted soon.

thanks for keeping us updated.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I’ve struggled getting perfect launches with my Jeep. I used to rev it a bit and then start the clutch slip like how I’ve done with every other manual I’ve driven. This often led to at least 1 buck but sometimes multiple especially under light throttle as it seems the engine management system isn’t dialed in yet. I used to remedy it a bit by pausing full release of the clutch pedal.

Now I start releasing the clutch pedal and just before rpms are affected I progressively add throttle while releasing the pedal fairly quickly. I often get absolutely perfect launches now.

Anyways, this manual has been just about perfect and getting it just right is part of the fun for me. Having said that, I wonder if the quirkiness at low rpms and the way some of us compensate for it leads to some of these premature clutch failures.

OP
OP
Darter02

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Photographer
Anyways, this manual has been just about perfect and getting it just right is part of the fun for me. Having said that, I wonder if the quirkiness at low rpms and the way some of us compensate for it leads to some of these premature clutch failures.
Aside from the first five minutes of using this clutch I've had few issues. I hear what you're saying though. This is my 4th Wrangler, all manual transmissions, since 1990. There've been a few times where I've "revved" it up while starting in 1st. Usually though it's been a silent acceleration.

What I'm starting to wonder is if it's linked to using Cruise Control. I bought this vehicle in December. It wasn't until a few weeks ago that I began to use the CC. The first time was on a 12 hour road trip to Chattanooga and back. I've been taking to using it a lot. Even on secondary roads where I have long, relatively flat (I'm in Wisconsin) sections of road. There are so many long, very straight roads around here it's just really easy to slip on the CC. I was in CC when the clutch went.

To be precise, I was cruising along a four lane highway. It was slightly hilly but not steep. I had it in 5th going 70mph. I've noticed trying to cruise in 6th really only works if I'm going 75 or faster or it begins to "lug" and drops out of CC.

We where behind an RV that was towing another car. I smelled burning clutch but thought it was them. I pulled off the highway as we wanted to take the scenic road the last five miles to home. It was along there, while going 30mph behind a farm tractor that the clutch went completely out.

I'm going to be patient. Trying to be. I stopped in Monday to ask. The service representative didn't give me any clue as to when to expect it repaired. I'm still WAITING for a call. And still NO pricing on the extra work I want done, which is a mute point now. I'll not be taking my Jeep back to this particular service center.
Sponsored