Sponsored

Offset? BS? Need some help

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
2021 JLUR. Probably a MC game changer 2.5 lift. Plan on 35/12.5/17, most likely end up with 37s. Lol

What is the difference between offset and backspacing?
I have no idea on what these numbers need to be. I was told anything between -12 and -18 offset.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Offset seems to mess people up since math is involved. I quit trying to think about offset since it changes on wheel width. I prefer to think about back spacing and front spacing. Gives you everything you need in a simpler method of measuring.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Offset seems to mess people up since math is involved. I quit trying to think about offset since it changes on wheel width. I prefer to think about back spacing and front spacing. Gives you everything you need in a simpler method of measuring.
And I'm an offset guy,it's the way I've always thought about wheel fitment, but this started w/ cars so there's that :)

Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
And I'm an offset guy,it's the way I've always thought about wheel fitment, but this started w/ cars so there's that :)
I'm an offset kind of guy.... obviously. But I get it. Especially when you deal with cars. People always buy the same size wheel so the offset is about the only deciding factor. You can't get anyone in the Corvette world to talk about back spacing. :LOL:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

this. ive worked in the wheel industry for many years. we use backspacing amongst ourselves. backspacing is basically how much "inner lip/hoop/barrel" you have from the mounting surface of the wheel. so if your current wheels have 5" backspacing, you can add more backspacing until you hit something like LCA or fender liner, shock, etc.. more backspacing sucks the wheel in, gives you less frontspacing (ie lip).
less backspacing pushes the wheel outward more, giving you deeper lips (on wheels with lips).

even when someone gives me an offset on a wheel, i convert it to backspacing in order to work with it. you can actually, physically measure the backspacing of any wheel yourself with a straight edge and a measuring tape.

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
2021 JLUR. Probably a MC game changer 2.5 lift. Plan on 35/12.5/17, most likely end up with 37s. Lol

What is the difference between offset and backspacing?
I have no idea on what these numbers need to be. I was told anything between -12 and -18 offset.
Like the posted video said "Two different ways of looking at the same thing".

OP
OP
somedude922

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
So.... anyone want to chime in on what size wheel I should get? Dont want too far out flinging shit all over the place, but need enough to keep it from rubbing components. If it rubs plastic pieces, I am not too concerned.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
So.... anyone want to chime in on what size wheel I should get? Dont want too far out flinging shit all over the place, but need enough to keep it from rubbing components. If it rubs plastic pieces, I am not too concerned.
What 35's are you interested in?

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have 2.5” GameChanger and 37” wheels. It depends on what you’ll be putting your Jeep through. I have wheels with 5.22” backspacing (+12 mm offset, 8.5” wide). During normal driving and all but hard wheeling everything is fine. I had the tiniest rub on the front sway bar bolt when wheeling it as hard as my skill level allows. I just put on some 1.75” spacers. They’re a bit too much poke for my tastes. I’m going to change them out for 1” spacers. This will be 4.22” backspacing.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Would follow the suggested backspacing from MC

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link