Sponsored

Offset, better or worse fitment?

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Hey all, I recently picked up a stock '21 JLUW and already ordered KO2 33's (rubi tires). I was going to use the stock willys rims, but I kinda want a better stance and was thinking going with a lighter weight, zero offset or even a little negative offset wheel. Back when I had my tacoma, the more negative you went in offset, the more issues you ran into with rubbing/fitment. Is this the same for jeep as well? If I go zero or negative offset, will it be harder to fit the 33's stock? I know I can fit them on the willys wheels (same specs as the rubicon wheels) but wondering about using different offsets.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Just go with a 8.5”, or a 9.0” wide rim width, with a 4.5 to a 5.2 BACK Spacing. These will give you the wider stance that you are looking for, plus a non-rubbing issue. You don’t want to go any wider than this, because you then may have a scrub Radius issue.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Just go with a 8.5”, or a 9.0” wide rim width, with a 4.5 to a 5.2 BACK Spacing. These will give you the wider stance that you are looking for, plus a non-rubbing issue. You don’t want to go any wider than this, because you then may have a scrub Radius issue.
ok thanks. So then zero or negative offsets won't make anymore issues? (assuming I do 4.5 or 4.75 BS)

rkeen81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon/2023 JLU Rubicon 4xe (Hydro Blue

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
ok thanks. So then zero or negative offsets won't make anymore issues? (assuming I do 4.5 or 4.75 BS)
Correct…
Yes, you don’t have to worry about offset, because it will change with Rim width. So only be concerned about Rim width and Back Spacing, and you will be good to go..:)

Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
So there aren't any rubbing issues when using stock Rubicon tires 285/70-17 on the Willys wheels?

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
So there aren't any rubbing issues when using stock Rubicon tires 285/70-17 on the Willys wheels?
From what I’ve read on here not really, just some at full lock articulation.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Your stock wheel will be fine. There aren't many aftermarket one out there that weigh less. If you want a wider stance, 1.25/1.5" spacers will give you the look.

Be carefull with offsets. Zero sticks outside the fender on Wranglers, getting into the + offsets begins to make a Wrangler without a lift look like a toy. It will also create rubbing issues. Unless all you want to do is cruise around town and fling road debris on the cars behind you they will work.

A +12/+18 wheel will fit nearly flush with the outer edge of the fender. A +25 wheel will give you all of the clearance you want, while still keeping all the tread under the fenders. The stock wheel is +44 at 7.5" wide.

Forget everything you learned about wheels and tire fitment from your Toyota days. The solid axles on a Jeep aren't nearly as affect by variances in wheel weight as your IFS Toyota was, but less is always better.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Your stock wheel will be fine. There aren't many aftermarket one out there that weigh less. If you want a wider stance, 1.25/1.5" spacers will give you the look.

Be carefull with offsets. Zero sticks outside the fender on Wranglers, getting into the + offsets begins to make a Wrangler without a lift look like a toy. It will also create rubbing issues. Unless all you want to do is cruise around town and fling road debris on the cars behind you they will work.

A +12/+18 wheel will fit nearly flush with the outer edge of the fender. A +25 wheel will give you all of the clearance you want, while still keeping all the tread under the fenders. The stock wheel is +44 at 7.5" wide.

Forget everything you learned about wheels and tire fitment from your Toyota days. The solid axles on a Jeep aren't nearly as affect by variances in wheel weight as your IFS Toyota was, but less is always better.
awesome, thanks for the reply. Yeah my only knowledge with this stuff is with tacos. 33's used to make us get a cab mount chop, which was surgery for the taco. It's pretty cool I can run 33's on the jeep stock. So it sounds like if I want to be flush with fenders, I should be looking for +12 offset. With the tacos, 0 offset meant it was flush... so thanks for the heads up!

george33

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM, 22 Rubicon & others some stay some don't

The Last Cowboy:

Can I get a clarification on the highlighted part of your last post of keeping the tires flush with the outside fenders. . .
Is the +12/+18 wheel you are referring to for a stock 17x7.5 rim?

When going to a wider 17x8.5 rim, what would the suggested offset be to keep the tread under the fenders? And also for a 17x9" rim?
(Both rim sizes with a stock JLR 285/70/17 tire.)

Thanks

Last edited:

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That would be for the common 17x8.5, 17x9 is close. I'd go +18 with the 9" wheels. Every wheel manufacturer will have wheels built at certain specs. If you don't see what you want with one manufacturer, look at another. The stock 17x7.5s are +44.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
So if I got wheels with zero offset (17x8.5, zero offset with rubi KO2 tires), it would create rubbing issues? Others said it wouldn't on here so wondering. I don't want to use spacers and looking to get some nice bronze wheels that give me a little wider stance. I would then sell the stock wheels.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So if I got wheels with zero offset (17x8.5, zero offset with rubi KO2 tires), it would create rubbing issues? Others said it wouldn't on here so wondering. I don't want to use spacers and looking to get some nice bronze wheels that give me a little wider stance. I would then sell the stock wheels.
Those should be fine.
Sponsored