Sponsored

Offroad with my Sport (River Rally Off Road park, Chicagoland)

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
So I took my Jeep to the local "off road park" which is basically just an old quarry, big pond in the middle, and a bunch of muddy tracks around the perimeter with some mild obstacles, etc. The chick at the front gate eyes my Jeep, and says "those tires stock?" "Yep" "well you want to stay off the Wilderness Trail, you probably won't make it." Oh lady, it's a lease, guess where I'm going first now?

Here's the place: https://riverroadrallypark.com/

Generic picture of what you're basically dealing with:

rally-park-9.jpg

So I aired down (not too far, like 22 from 38) and wandered off. The Jeep is a damned billy goat. The braking differential works wonders. I slid around a bit, but this place barely even slowed it down. The ONLY obstacle I couldn't do that I tried was a big see-saw type thing where you have a big metal bridge section that's mounted on a concrete pipe, you are supposed to drive up one side, the thing pivots, slams the far end to the ground, and you drive off the other. I couldn't make it up because my tires were just covered in slippery mud, and I was starting to slide towards the metal edge of the bridge thingy, was worried I'd nail the side so I gave up. On a dryer day (we had torrential rain a couple hours earlier) I woulda made it no problem. There were a couple other obstacles I skipped because I don't have the breakover angle for, but that's more a lift thing than anything else.

The wilderness trail was the best part, and even that was basically just a muddy two-track through a wooded area, maybe a mile long. Couple deep water crossings and some tall hills, but not much else. I did a few circuits of that.

Only other thing I did, was on my way out, I figured I'd cut across this giant mud puddle, and uh, whoops, way deeper than I thought. Wave came up over the hood, and I thought I really F'd up, but the Jeep puttered right through and I came out the other side. I floored it and the auto locks engaged, scared the crap outta me. You can see how high the water came up on the tire:

50157874-197E-4AA6-8AA6-CB3DA1FF95B8.jpg

Also, my engine is filthy. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

A67F4228-B432-4308-A201-84BC734FA4E4.jpg

Since I was by myself, I didn't have a lot of pics, and the ones I did take are wholly unimpressive. The last one kinda shows you the layout of the rest of the park, aside from the "wilderness trail"

C1F067D3-6D77-47E5-B2A5-A5D297B071E9.jpg

0F1833AA-5DE9-482B-85EF-CF2C7BAA3C1C.jpg

Anyways, I dunno if I'll go back; it was $25 and really wasn't much to do, I was bored after an hour or so. It is nice that it's close to home though (~30 min away) versus Badlands which is awesome but more like 3 hours away.

Also, they make you stop so they can pressure wash you on the way out, so you don't get that awesome "I've been offroad, what are you doing with your mall crawler?" superiority over everyone else.

I did get to use my new Viair 88P to air back up, worked great. :thumbup:

Anyways, as much as I really want a Rubicon, and I rip on the dainty tires (the non-LSD Sport ones), it is amazing when you take one of these things off road even with a pretty weak spec off road wise, how capable it really is.
Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
If you'll never do anything gnarlier than that, then just get better tires n call it a day.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
So I took my Jeep to the local "off road park" which is basically just an old quarry, big pond in the middle, and a bunch of muddy tracks around the perimeter with some mild obstacles, etc. The chick at the front gate eyes my Jeep, and says "those tires stock?" "Yep" "well you want to stay off the Wilderness Trail, you probably won't make it." Oh lady, it's a lease, guess where I'm going first now?

rally-park-9.jpg

So I aired down (not too far, like 22 from 38) and wandered off. The Jeep is a damned billy goat. The braking differential works wonders. I slid around a bit, but this place barely even slowed it down. The ONLY obstacle I couldn't do that I tried was a big see-saw type thing where you have a big metal bridge section that's mounted on a concrete pipe, you are supposed to drive up one side, the thing pivots, slams the far end to the ground, and you drive off the other. I couldn't make it up because my tires were just covered in slippery mud, and I was starting to slide towards the metal edge of the bridge thingy, was worried I'd nail the side so I gave up. On a dryer day (we had torrential rain a couple hours earlier) I woulda made it no problem. There were a couple other obstacles I skipped because I don't have the breakover angle for, but that's more a lift thing than anything else.

The wilderness trail was the best part, and even that was basically just a muddy two-track through a wooded area, maybe a mile long. Couple deep water crossings and some tall hills, but not much else. I did a few circuits of that.

Only other thing I did, was on my way out, I figured I'd cut across this giant mud puddle, and uh, whoops, way deeper than I thought. Wave came up over the hood, and I thought I really F'd up, but the Jeep puttered right through and I came out the other side. I floored it and the auto locks engaged, scared the crap outta me. You can see how high the water came up on the tire:

Since I was by myself, I didn't have a lot of pics, and the ones I did take are wholly unimpressive. The last one kinda shows you the layout of the rest of the park, aside from the "wilderness trail"

Anyways, I dunno if I'll go back; it was $25 and really wasn't much to do, I was bored after an hour or so. It is nice that it's close to home though (~30 min away) versus Badlands which is awesome but more like 3 hours away.

Also, they make you stop so they can pressure wash you on the way out, so you don't get that awesome "I've been offroad, what are you doing with your mall crawler?" superiority over everyone else.

Anyways, as much as I really want a Rubicon, and I rip on the dainty tires (the non-LSD Sport ones), it is amazing when you take one of these things off road even with a pretty weak spec off road wise, how capable it really is.
ALL Jeeps are quite capable. Knowing what your limitations are (and you do), knowing how to pick your line, knowing how to work the accelerator - skill sometimes trumps equipment. Good for you for showing that you can have fun with a stock Sport!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

rally-park-9.jpg

wow , you just baptized your new Jeep , congratulation

zhilbert

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
The chick at the front gate eyes my Jeep, and says "those tires stock?"
And those are just the stock road tires (not the stock all-terrain tires?) If so that's good to know. I'm planning to do a little off-roading soon and am hoping I can manage with just airing down my stock tires. Figure I'll have to avoid anything too mucky or dicey.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I’ve heard about this place, thanks for the write up I may go check it out!

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
wow , you just baptized your new Jeep , congratulation
Haha nah, I’ve taken it off a few times before. We did Badlands in IN back in May, my buddy (silver 4Runner) made this video, it’s mostly Toyota’s but they let me tag along.

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
And those are just the stock road tires (not the stock all-terrain tires?) If so that's good to know. I'm planning to do a little off-roading soon and am hoping I can manage with just airing down my stock tires. Figure I'll have to avoid anything too mucky or dicey.
Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts that come standard without the LSD (doh!)
Sponsored