Offroad tires going away? WTF! [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWVA JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Wrangler
Many states (I think it is 17 right now, including Co and VA) automatically adopt whatever screwy auto regulation that CA dreams up. So when they said no more ICE cars in whatever year it is, CO automatically put that in place. It great! Legislators don't even need to vote.

What a country!
Most people in Virginia are not aware this was passed. SMH
Sponsored

BasementKitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
i live in cali, they make dumb laws all the time, this year they banned flavored tobacco, however i can still drive to any military base in california and buy flavored tobacco and get it shipped here
The CARB nonsense infiltrated the rest of the country when they screwed up gas cans. Never thought I would say it, but thank god for the Chinese so I can still get cans with simple spouts that just work and don't cause me to spill gas everywhere.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The CARB nonsense infiltrated the rest of the country when they screwed up gas cans. Never thought I would say it, but thank god for the Chinese so I can still get cans with simple spouts that just work and don't cause me to spill gas everywhere.
I might be the only person to ever say this, but I'm pretty ok with the vapor recovery nozzles on gas station pumps. Having used the other kind in other places, anyway.. the gas pump fumes with the other kind are on the annoying side.

But I do agree with gas can vapor nozzles being really stupid.

If it makes you feel any better, my dad used to have an old metal gasoline can that had a little bit of rust, that sucker was clearly from the 70s. So, without a nozzle you need a funnel... and back in the 70s their solution was to put this stupid metal cylinder on the inside of the lid that you'd pull out to pour gas and it'd act kinda like a nozzle......

Yea that stupid metal cylinder thing was more leaky and troublesome than the stupid nozzles modern cans have lmao. Plus the can was awkward as hell to hold up while pouring gas into the lawnmower. I eventually got a plastic one with a nice handle.

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I can't believe you brought this up! I can't stand those "safety" gas canisters either. I still use my 20+ year old cans with a normal spout. The only way I use the "safety" can is by unscrewing the entire nozzle and pouring the gas straight out.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Knowing that PA's adoption of CARB was forthcoming, I stocked up by purchasing 6 genuine NATO-issue 20L fuel carriers. Not pictured are the two matched, non-vapor-recovery nozzles.

I hadn't envisioned that I would one day have a collection of pre-ban gas cans, but here we are. ?

Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad tires going away? WTF! [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS] Seasonal fill up Nov 2023

I've also a 10L fuel can on the Ural.

Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad tires going away? WTF! [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS] 20231123_092613

Sponsored

variableknife

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Sport S
California and Washington state legislators are currently looking at new tire regulations to reduce your choices of tires based on roll resistance. The thought of these government officials is to only allow sales of tires that have low roll resistance. This would increase efficiency and reduce emission, apparently saving the planet from climate change. My mud tires would likely not meet the proposed future requirement. New challenge! Off-roading on street tires!
My thoughts on this, simplistically, would be that when any state passes laws that you are unhappy with, move to a state that has laws more to your liking. Some move for economic reasons, or vocational reasons. Some move for political reasons. Some for family reasons. There is always a choice.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Oh great so now my tires will also make me a felon in CA as well? Great

Illegal high capacity assault tires! Tires of war!!
This potential future “felon” will further pollute the environment by driving to Reno and back for new tires, also picking up a couple functional gas cans while I’m there.
Jeep Wrangler JL Offroad tires going away? WTF! [LOCKED DUE TO POLITICS] 8D970F30-9DF4-41C3-94C7-D025C7FFA9A5

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Many states (I think it is 17 right now, including Co and VA) automatically adopt whatever screwy auto regulation that CA dreams up. So when they said no more ICE cars in whatever year it is, CO automatically put that in place. It great! Legislators don't even need to vote.

What a country!
Too many transplants...

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My thoughts on this, simplistically, would be that when any state passes laws that you are unhappy with, move to a state that has laws more to your liking. Some move for economic reasons, or vocational reasons. Some move for political reasons. Some for family reasons. There is always a choice.
A difficult choice with conflicting reasons. Kids and grandkids are here in Ca. , don’t want to be more than a one day drive away……. I’m Watching and Hoping for the fed up with the Salem/Portland BS- Oregonians “Greater Idaho” movement to succeed.

Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
First they came for the manual transmissions, and I did not speak out—because I drive an automatic.
Then they came for the MT tires, and I did not speak out—because I have ATs.
Then they came for the 2-doors that run on dinosaur juice—and there was no one left to speak for me... :)

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
So it helps to actually read.
  1. There's no actual legislation at this point, or even proposed legislation. The Washing state Dept. of Commerce is hoping to get the authority to regulate tires. Once they're told they have the authority, THEN they would introduce legislation.
  2. California has said authority, and is in the process of drafting their proposed legislation, which would likely go into effect lightly in 2026 and fully in 2028.
Direct Quotes from the article:
1. "Neither California nor Washington proposes to regulate the original tires installed by Manufacturers on new cars"
2. "... specialty tires sold in low volumes, such as off-road tires, would also probably be exempt."

It also sounds like there are tire groups (manufacturers, retailers, etc) who would push back on this pretty hard.
…and your more detailed, accurate, and nuanced summary is less disturbing than an oversimplified version because…?

It doesn’t matter. These people want to control your life. Two years ago the New York Times favorably reviewed a book that advocates for the reduced use of, and ultimately abandonment of, air conditioning. Yes, that energy-consuming sin that makes living in Florida in August completely comfortable must be eliminated. No legislation resulted, of course, but the thread is there. What appears ridiculous today is normative tomorrow.

Because it’s a religion, and your comfort, and apparently your ability to traverse rough terrain in your fuel-guzzling Jeep, may be sacrificed at the altar of carbon emissions.

Self-flagellation in the 21st century! Who’d of thunk? I thought only nut jobs did that. Now please excuse me while I adjust my thermostat…

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It's really easy to get a proposal on the ballot in California. If you happen to go to a store or a mall a few months before election season, you'll usually see people standing around with clipboards advertising some kinda thing they're trying to get signatures for to get on the ballot. Most of the time they're nothing really special, but sometimes people come up with some pretty wild ones lol.

Anyway, the tire program:

https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/programs/replacement-tire-efficiency-program

The California Energy Commission is mandated to adopt and implement a statewide Replacement Tire Efficiency Program for replacement tires for passenger cars and light-duty trucks, to ensure that replacement tires sold in California are at least as energy efficient as the tires sold as original equipment on the vehicles.
So far, this says nothing about all-terrain tires, or even mud tires for that matter. It looks to be advertising/pushing for more efficiency in tire TYPES, but not saying "hey from now on you all need to use prius tires on your jeeps" lol.

I continue to be amused by people who see a headline that is deliberately intended to alarm and anger people, and they fly off the handle instead of reading and trying to figure out what's going on. There's always more nuance to the subject.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.