Sponsored

Offroad DUST and dirt in engine compartment.... newbie question.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So, I did some very light trails in Moab a week ago. LOTS of dust In the engine bay. Two questions:

1) what do folks do with their air filter after dusty wheeling? Nothing? Bang dust out/blow dust out? Replace?
2) engine also had significant red dust/send/dirt on engine. What do you all do to clean it?
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Judicious use of power washer.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Yup, spray rinse in DIY car wash bay or low pressure power washer. The water isn't gonna hurt anything. Don't spray it into the intake (duh) and don't hose down the alternator or fuse box (duh) but in reality, the vehicle is rated to ford water 30" deep and has a totally open area below the engine. Water is gonna get in there, and after 7 Jeeps using the power washer as I described above, I've never had a single issue.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Exterior dust does not hurt. Dust(dirt/mud) pressuer washed(flooded) into electrictic contections is problomatic. Flood vehicles are totaled vehicles.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
I've only done it once, but I put a plastic bag over the alternator and just hosed down the engine bay. Didn't need anymore pressure than a regular outside spigot and it looked like new when done.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
garden hose with a nice spray nossle works well. jst be careful around the sensitive areas like fuse box, eletrical components. wipe down with a wet rag on the fuse box, alt. as for the air filter, i usually knock off any dirt buy brushing it with my hands or tapping it on the driveway. if the filter collected up alot of miles, then i would replace it. "rule of thumb" (for me) is if the paper of the filter is 1/2 to 3/4 full of irt / stain, then replace it.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve power washed the engines in every vehicle I’ve owned for the last four decades and have yet to have a single issue.
If the engine is exceptionally dirty, I will spend extra time thoroughly cleaning the alternator and starter, just make sure to give them both a good rinsing and drive the jeep for at least 10 minutes afterwards to ensure everything is nice and dry.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What I've found to work best, is a thorough blow gunning with compressed air. Don't forget the radiators. Than water, at not insane pressure, for the final rinse on a cold motor. Again, don't forget the radiators.

Assuming it was dry to begin with. I prefer air first, because some contaminants can turn clay-like and become harder to flush out. There are so many nooks and crannies that will pack with sediment as the water rinses down, making it harder to flush those dead ends.

OP
OP
Dkretden

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thank you all for your responses!

JLURUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
What I've found to work best, is a thorough blow gunning with compressed air. Don't forget the radiators. Than water, at not insane pressure, for the final rinse on a cold motor. Again, don't forget the radiators.

Assuming it was dry to begin with. I prefer air first, because some contaminants can turn clay-like and become harder to flush out. There are so many nooks and crannies that will pack with sediment as the water rinses down, making it harder to flush those dead ends.
+1 I always use the same method, the air compressor is great for removing dust. Only rinse with the hose every 3rd or 4th time out
Sponsored