Sponsored

Official Title: Too Many Damn Questions ;) F/K/A Opinions on Factory LED Package

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Factory LED all the way. Have a friend stand in front of your ride about 50 feet away and reflect the headlights toward your face. Do the same with factory LED package and you’ll feel like you just looked at an eclipse with binoculars. Okay maybe not that bad but yes, they are friggin’ bright.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Everyone on the road will hate you because these things should be illegal for being both too bright and the wrong color temperature. Tons of people will flash their brights at you and assume you have yours on because these are asshole lights.

But I love them so far.
Did you add anything like heavier steel bumpers, lift, or other options that might have changed the way your JL sits? Check you headlight aim. I don't remember ever being flashed and have owned my JLR for about a year.

Looks like a few halogen headlights need aiming also. Attached is a thread with a link to a video on how to aim headlights.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...tting-flashed-with-non-led-head-lights.28498/

Last edited:

JWAustinVTX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Factory LED is nice, but I wouldn't pass on a Jeep you like just because it doesn't have factory LED.

Mine did not come with LEDs and I like the look and functionality of my Oracle aftermarket setup. $800 invested in fogs, headlights, and tail. The adapters are plug and play

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
I changed the title of the thread because honestly, my head is all over the place. Keep your “typical woman” comments to yourself ;). What are your thoughts on buying used from dealerships? I bought my current Jeep as new because I was wary of buying a used one. I’m seeing some crazy deals on used Sahara/Rubi models with low miles (under 20K). But then why would someone trade in after 7K? Lemon? Maybe they didn’t understand what owning a Jeep actually requires? Lol. Would it be worth saving 8-10K on purchase price? Man, self isolation has me thinking too much.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I changed the title of the thread because honestly, my head is all over the place. Keep your “typical woman” comments to yourself ;). What are your thoughts on buying used from dealerships? I bought my current Jeep as new because I was wary of buying a used one. I’m seeing some crazy deals on used Sahara/Rubi models with low miles (under 20K). But then why would someone trade in after 7K? Lemon? Maybe they didn’t understand what owning a Jeep actually requires? Lol. Would it be worth saving 8-10K on purchase price? Man, self isolation has me thinking too much.
Ha! It is easy to think too much about Jeeps :CWL:.

Some might have bought a Jeep and realized it's not for them, some might have had steering issues (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/). I would recommend giving a used JL a good test drive to make sure it doesn't pull or have too much looseness or play in the steering.

Good luck!

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 things to keep in mind.

1. Actual selling price you pay.
2. FL has some of the highest DOC fees in the nation. keep this in mind.
3. Trade-in price and sales tax credit, if any.
4. Financing cost, interest rates new verses used.
5. The finance office and pressure to buy back-end products at closing.

Nothing wrong with used. Just make sure the deal is truly a deal. Calculate a fair new JL price and discount for used from there. Research to see why it was sold. Check VIN at a service department to see service history. Check if the warranty is valid and not black listed. Can a Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty be bought for the VIN? Ask for a Carfax. Warning though…Carfax is far from perfect and accurate. Double check for paint and body damage.

Used financing interest rates will usually be higher then new rates. That can offset cost. Check if your State caps sales tax on used cars. There might be money to be saved there.

Personally I like a new verses used now. It is a strong buyers market now. I'd wait and watch.

The economy is at historic lows and likely not improve in the near future. Many car companies are going to 0% for at least 60 months. Many for 84 months. Plus 3-6 months of deferred first payment. More brands are doing this everyday. In the history of car sales this has not happened. Not at this large scale. I really think there might be some kind of 0% incentives soon that will include Wrangler.

Research, prepare and plan while your waiting. Definitely go online and request info on multiple Jeep models so your odds are better to be registered for any Direct Marketing Incentives. I'd also check to see if your employer qualifies for Associate Pricing. Sign up for Tread Lightly asap if not. That's worth another 1%-2% of invoice.

You will also have to figure out how to deal with your current JK. Sell privately, trade-in, keep? A strong buyers market also means selling your old JK for top dollar might be harder. Shop it around to dealers, Carmax, and other used car outlets to get a try idea of your value.

Last edited:

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Two years ago, my wife and I each had our very nice daily drivers, a BMW and a Mini Countryman, but we really missed her 2013 JK. Started looking at used JKs for a fun weekend vehicle, but new ones didn’t cost much more than used, so we put a down payment on a 2018 2 dr. JL factory order. But after a few weeks wait, and still getting no answers to when would Jeep even start to build the 2 doors, we pulled the plug and bought a new JK. A little less than a year later, the 2 door JLs were out, we looked, and were blown away by how much nicer the JLs were than the JKs. So we traded in the JK with 7500 miles on it on a new JL.

A few months in, we noticed a few issues that Jeep said we’re not warrantable (squeaky breaks, a pucker in the soft top windows, and periodically blowing hot air when the a/c was on). My wife got so angry she refused to ride in it. So we traded it in with 7500 miles for a 2018 JK with 10,000 miles. Basically an even trade. A few months later, her Mini Countryman’s sport seats started hurting her hips, and after trying all types of cushions and pillows, nothing would help. She loved the ride in the JK, but the two doors didn’t work for her as a daily driver. So we traded in our 12000 mile JK on her JLUS.

So yes there are very nice low mileage used Jeeps out there. But there are some incredible deals out there on new ones. Unfortunately some of the best deals aren’t available in Jacksonville. Look up Koons CJDR in Fairfax Va and you will see some incredible prices. They will even work a deal on your trade over the phone. Take this to Jax CJDR, and see how close they will get. Then you can decide if the 700 mile trip to northern Va is worth it. Even if you don’t make the trip, Jaxcjd will give you a better deal because of it.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
You have gotten great advice so far. So great that I doubt I have much to add. But one more angle to consider...is a lease right for you? I know, everybody is throwing crap at their screens (me) right now. But seriously...Jeeps famously hold their value. If the Jeep can beat its residual value at the end of the term of the lease, you're getting money back...actual cash. Keep it within the miles, take care of it, and you'll keep your down payment in your account instead of theirs. It has worked for me twice.

craigerv

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Granite Crystal Metallic
I'll go against the grain here. I bought my JLUR off the lot and it did not have the factory LED package. I went aftermarket on LED bulbs and have been well pleased. They do not in any way look like cheap aftermarket as they still use the factory housing. In fact, I was careful about the color (5500K) and re-aiming the buckets. I don't blind other drivers, and no coding required.
I bought a steel bumper that had the factory LED fogs in it, and they honestly looked yellow and dim comparatively. Immediately sourced brackets and re-installed my original setup.
As for the auto dim feature - the wife's GC has that, and I absolutely hate it. Takes away the drivers control of brights, and we've already got too many nannies.
Like @Dave928 I definitely miss the adaptive bi-xenons from my Audi, but the Jeep doesn't go fast enough for that to be an issue.

All that rambling just to say that I wouldn't make the factory LEDs a deal breaker if you find a Punk'n that you want. There are good aftermarket options out there.

Oh yeah - just make the trade, you won't regret it. :jk:
Regarding the LED's... I'm with you on this one. My JLUS did not come with factory LED's. Instead, I pulled the factory H13 Halogens (which are simply pathetic) and replaced with BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K. Look for this on Amazon. $40 for both sides. Yeah, it doesn't do the halo thing, but the quality of the light and the change in brightness is unreal. Finally safe to drive at night!! Have not been flashed yet and measured aim is good. I have no stake in Beamtech, just a happy customer.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the incentives for the Wrangler might be starting.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-the-wrangler-now-0-for-36-months.48841/

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 things to keep in mind.

1. Actual selling price you pay.
2. FL has some of the highest DOC fees in the nation. keep this in mind.
3. Trade-in price and sales tax credit, if any.
4. Financing cost, interest rates new verses used.
5. The finance office and pressure to buy back-end products at closing.

Nothing wrong with used. Just make sure the deal is truly a deal. Calculate a fair new JL price and discount for used from there. Research to see why it was sold. Check VIN at a service department to see service history. Check if the warranty is valid and not black listed. Can a Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty be bought for the VIN? Ask for a Carfax. Warning though…Carfax is far from perfect and accurate. Double check for paint and body damage.

Used financing interest rates will usually be higher then new rates. That can offset cost. Check if your State caps sales tax on used cars. There might be money to be saved there.

Personally I like a new verses used now. It is a strong buyers market now. I'd wait and watch.

The economy is at historic lows and likely not improve in the near future. Many car companies are going to 0% for at least 60 months. Many for 84 months. Plus 3-6 months of deferred first payment. More brands are doing this everyday. In the history of car sales this has not happened. Not at this large scale. I really think there might be some kind of 0% incentives soon that will include Wrangler.

Research, prepare and plan while your waiting. Definitely go online and request info on multiple Jeep models so your odds are better to be registered for any Direct Marketing Incentives. I'd also check to see if your employer qualifies for Associate Pricing. Sign up for Tread Lightly asap if not. That's worth another 1%-2% of invoice.

You will also have to figure out how to deal with your current JK. Sell privately, trade-in, keep? A strong buyers market also means selling your old JK for top dollar might be harder. Shop it around to dealers, Carmax, and other used car outlets to get a try idea of your value.
0% x 36 months. Might be regional though.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/is-the-wrangler-now-0-for-36-months.48841/

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Typical woman. Hahahah just kidding Jennifer. It's a pleasure to have ladies in the forum. I guess some trade ins could be because of lemons but not all. I loved my 17 JK but traded in for the simple convenience of the Sky One Touch. There was not a thing wrong with that Jeep so whoever wound up with it got a good Jeep.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I'm thinking about ordering them tomorrow. But I'm not very auto-repair oriented. I don't know what the airbox is...the thing next to the intake, maybe? And I need a pic of the dust cover to be sure what it is.
here's a video where it shows the air box and dust cover. its at the end of the video. not the best one. i cant find the fully detailed one that this guy had.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
here's a video where it shows the air box and dust cover. its at the end of the video. not the best one. i cant find the fully detailed one that this guy had.

I can't thank you enough. Really appreciate it. You saved me (and cost MOPAR) hundreds. hahaha

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
That
After 85k miles you have two years left of payments(84 month moan?) and the JL will be more expensive even with Corona. Why spend $1000 on something that's completely unnecessary? You're just digging yourself into debt. I'm a proponent of buying exactly what you want but within reason. The stock headlights are fine and really you'll just be blinding people with LEDs if you live in Jacksonville. I would prioritize getting as much equity into the Jeep as soon as possible. If you really hate stock just go aftermarket afterwards. The LEDs are really nice but they're $1000 and a luxury option. No luxury option is a must have.
I disagree fully the LED lights or awesome and so adding g 37'' tires is a waste it's person's choice.
If you like the stock lights great I'm not a fan but it's a choice, I also believe in getting what I want LED was one of them.
Sponsored