Official Title: Too Many Damn Questions ;) F/K/A Opinions on Factory LED Package

1. AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23 Active Member

First Name:
    Jennifer
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 JKU Sahara
    Liked:
    Hey everyone. I currently have a 2015 JKU Sahara and I’ve been considering trading in for a new JLU Rubicon. I really want the Punk’n option and there are a few on the dealer lots. I have aftermarket JW Speaker headlights in my current Jeep and wanted your opinion on the Factory LED package. Is it worth it? Should I stay with aftermarket?

Also, I only have 2 more years of payments left so I’m still struggling with the idea of starting over with payments lol. My current Jeep has 85,000 miles on it and no major issues.

Okay done with the rambling. Thanks in advance for any advice on the lights and if you have any thoughts on trading in or sticking with the one I have, feel free to give them :)

emilboya, kermitjewel and Notorious like this.
  2. Ntegtmeyer

Ntegtmeyer Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
    Liked:
    I personally had a 2015 JK, had it almost 3 years and 50k on it. Saw the new JL and traded January of 2018. 2 years later and almost 36k miles, I’m extremely happy with my decision and I would do it all over again if I had to. Yea, starting over with payments sucks but IMO it was worth it and still is to me. All my complaints with the JK were addressed with the JL for the most part. As for the LED lights, I have them and they are 100% worth the money. They perform amazingly and I have no regret with them either. Not to mention, they look great and give the Jeep a more modernized look.

3. 3VOLVE

3VOLVE Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR, 2019 Audi SQ5, 2016 Indian Roadmaster
    Liked:
    Ditto as mentioned above. Solid straight from the factory without having to mess with anything else. The headlights and fogs are great on both on and off road.

4. Notorious

Notorious Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2000 TJ Sahara
    Liked:
    LOL!!

Re the lights, worth it!!! DOT approved, factory programmed front and rear, ready to go and if you’re about to drop $50k-$60k on a new Wrangler, it should have that option from the factory.

As far as performance goes, front and rear are top notch.

Re starting over.. lol well, a fact of life for most people is that they’ll always have a vehicle payment. Besides, these things are just worth it!!

Please post pictures when you get it!! :beer:

kermitjewel and AUjeepgirl23 like this.
  5. Adam 4248

Adam 4248 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLS
    Liked:
    In Florida you will be fine. I know from personal experience the led lights are not hot enough to melt snow, if driving through a snowstorm. Although, it is a simple matter to get out and wipe the snow out of the headlight buckets..

kermitjewel, AUjeepgirl23 and paffemt like this.
  6. Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2004 Lj
    Liked:
    I will second the fact they are not very snow friendly. Other than that I wouldn’t buy one without them.

7. goose77

goose77 Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JL, 1986 CJ Laredo, 2018 ROXOR street legal
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:

Factory LED's all the way. They look the best and are covered under factory warranty. The rings in the lights are just enough to accent the vehicle. Plus the markers are LED. Aftermarket LEDs always look weird, either too bright or a weird hue. They always look like cheap like you got them on Amazon for $20.

That being said I do love the KC LED headlights. and don't have much experience with JW Speaker but heard they are the best. My 2 cents.

8. Dave928

Dave928 Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLU Rubicon, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, 1988 Porsche 928 S4
    Liked:
    Aircraft Tech
    coming from a car with steerable Bi-Xenons (the wrangler LEDs are not THAT good), they're great for what they are. first jeep, so i don't know how poor the halogen lights are, but heard horror stories, so the LEDs are definitely worth the price. the LED fog lights have enough spread to almost be turning lights.

i don't understand why LEDs are not standard equipment through-out the model range. charge for the cold weather or tow package? sure. charge to upgrade lights? no.

9. melman8r

melman8r Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Sarge Green JLR
    Liked:
    Factory LEDs are a must buy, the best bonus yet is the AUTO high beam headlights. Every vehicle on the road should have them...

10. paffemt

paffemt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara
    Liked:
    Yes the LED's are definitely worth the money. After 2 snows though, I added Halogen lights to the front bumper so that I would not lose lights again or experience the warp speed effect. Interestingly enough no snow since I installed them. Coincidence, or was it the fact that I also bought a Snowsport180 plow for clearing the driveway as well? ;)

11. Roky

Roky Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    It’s definitely worth it for LEDs , as stated, I also think this should come standard.
    As for trading...... imho, if you can afford to do it, and it’s not a financial burden, you should go for it. There’s so much improvement on the JL , you’ll love it , especially if Jeep is in your blood, like me.

We only get one pass at life, as far as I know, you should enjoy it as much as you can. As long as it in no way burdens your family..........:)... and....then you would be be on this forum legally......:giggle:

12. df007

df007 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
    Liked:
    #12 Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Yes worth it. I got a good deal on a late 2019 in August by buying off the lot and it did not have LED. Got the whole front end changed over as economically as I could (take-off fogs(130) and fender lights(175), new heads(750)) but still cost more than the factory upgrade cost and I don't have the tail lights. Not to mention the programmer costs. I still saved overall, but not by much.

1k is a good deal for all those lights.

13. Buckster

Buckster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    '19 billet silver JLUR, '16 Grand Cherokee Overland, '12 BMW 328i cab
    Liked:
    Power Generation
    Garage Profiles:
    I'll go against the grain here. I bought my JLUR off the lot and it did not have the factory LED package. I went aftermarket on LED bulbs and have been well pleased. They do not in any way look like cheap aftermarket as they still use the factory housing. In fact, I was careful about the color (5500K) and re-aiming the buckets. I don't blind other drivers, and no coding required.
    I bought a steel bumper that had the factory LED fogs in it, and they honestly looked yellow and dim comparatively. Immediately sourced brackets and re-installed my original setup.
    As for the auto dim feature - the wife's GC has that, and I absolutely hate it. Takes away the drivers control of brights, and we've already got too many nannies.
    Like @Dave928 I definitely miss the adaptive bi-xenons from my Audi, but the Jeep doesn't go fast enough for that to be an issue.

All that rambling just to say that I wouldn't make the factory LEDs a deal breaker if you find a Punk'n that you want. There are good aftermarket options out there.

Oh yeah - just make the trade, you won't regret it. :jk:

14. sf5211

sf5211 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    New 2019 JL
    Liked:
    Plumber
    Hey Dave, thanks for installing those halogens and keeping my snow blower in the garage for the entire winter. Lol. (Only had to run the shovel once in Dec.)
    Seriously though thanks to you and the other posters on the LED’s not getting hot enough to melt the snow. I had no idea, I got my JL in July and as stated earlier a rare snow free winter here in NYC.
    As for the OP, the factory LED’s look good, are plenty bright and well worth it in my opinion. Put it on “auto” and you don’t even have to touch them.
    I too traded in a JK for a JL, sooooo much nicer Jeep especially for us manual transmission fans. Time goes so darn fast , you’re gonna blink your eyes and be done with the payments.

kermitjewel likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23 Active Member

First Name:
    Jennifer
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 JKU Sahara
    Liked:
    Thanks everyone :) . One more question ... so many of the Rubis on the lot right now have the Advanced Safety Group. Is there anyway to disengage that feature?