Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
This comparative view only applies to Rubicons... Retail cost differences: 285 (33") to 315 (35") KO2's are about $55 each for a total additional retail of $275. 4.10 to 4.56 gears is zero cost difference. Lockers, already included. Hinge gate reinforcement is $675. OEM wheels to beadlock capable wheels, $95 each for a total additional retail of $475. 1.5" suspension lift retail cost over included Rubicon lift, lets be generous and call it $500 additional retail cost. Total additional retail cost of all items: $1,925.
Again, these are retail cost, not what the factory pays...Like I said, $2500 would be a fair upgrade package price for Rubicons.
You are living in fantasy land my friend!! You absolutely CANNOT go by what the price difference is for what Jeep pays for these items PERIOD!!! You have to derive cost buy what it would cost you to buy these parts yourself and pay the labor to install all these parts. Some people can save on the labor by doing it themselves but again the numbers below being conservative still show it would cost you a lot more money. Please show everyone on this forum where they can get a 1.5ā€ lift just the parts for $500 So we all can get our Jeepā€™s lifted for that price please??? That means new shocks, springs and other components needed for 1.5ā€ over the standard Rubicon? Then add on top of that what is a fair price to install said lift after one already owns the Rubicon that alone will be atleast $500 in Labor. Now your tire price and tailgate reinforcement is the only thing you do have correct! Anyone wanting to run larger tires to do a gear swap front and rear installed you are looking at a total of $2000. Now letā€™s also take your Mopar Beadlock rims please show me where I can buy these for $55 per rim?? Nope once again look on any website and these run atleast $300 per rim so let me do the correct math for you below.
$675 Mopar Tailgate reinforcement
$1,500 Beadlock Wheels
$ 275. 35ā€ Tires
$2,000 New Gears installed
$1,000 1.5ā€ Lift new shocks and springs installed Maybe

$5,450 Total and you would not be able to buy and pay someone to install all these parts for this price. You have to pay someone to dismount and remount all 5 tires, labor to install tailgate reinforcement and the lift being over 1.5ā€ higher then the standard Rubicon is going to take more parts to center the axle and need LCAā€™s to bring the Caster alignment even close to 6 degrees!

Hope this clears up on how good a deal this entire new package is for the standard Rubicon itā€™s a steal!!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
There's always going to be the next greatest thing just around the corner. Get what's available and be happy with it. Waiting around for the next update is a never ending cycle, this goes well beyond buying a wrangler.
If you keep waiting you will be like me and still driving a CJ7 lmao

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
You are living in fantasy land my friend!! You absolutely CANNOT go by what the price difference is for what Jeep pays for these items PERIOD!!! You have to derive cost buy what it would cost you to buy these parts yourself and pay the labor to install all these parts. Some people can save on the labor by doing it themselves but again the numbers below being conservative still show it would cost you a lot more money. Please show everyone on this forum where they can get a 1.5ā€ lift just the parts for $500 So we all can get our Jeepā€™s lifted for that price please??? That means new shocks, springs and other components needed for 1.5ā€ over the standard Rubicon? Then add on top of that what is a fair price to install said lift after one already owns the Rubicon that alone will be atleast $500 in Labor. Now your tire price and tailgate reinforcement is the only thing you do have correct! Anyone wanting to run larger tires to do a gear swap front and rear installed you are looking at a total of $2000. Now letā€™s also take your Mopar Beadlock rims please show me where I can buy these for $55 per rim?? Nope once again look on any website and these run atleast $300 per rim so let me do the correct math for you below.
$675 Mopar Tailgate reinforcement
$1,500 Beadlock Wheels
$ 275. 35ā€ Tires
$2,000 New Gears installed
$1,000 1.5ā€ Lift new shocks and springs installed Maybe

$5,450 Total and you would not be able to buy and pay someone to install all these parts for this price. You have to pay someone to dismount and remount all 5 tires, labor to install tailgate reinforcement and the lift being over 1.5ā€ higher then the standard Rubicon is going to take more parts to center the axle and need LCAā€™s to bring the Caster alignment even close to 6 degrees!

Hope this clears up on how good a deal this entire new package is for the standard Rubicon itā€™s a steal!!!!
I think you misinterpreted his argument. He's not saying you can purchase those items that cheaply. He's saying that if you install the upgraded items instead of the normal OEM items right in the factory, the cost difference is small.

For example, instead of the 33s which cost I guess around $225 ish if you ordered 35s which cost around $275 ish, the difference is $50.

His point is if you're given credit for the standard items you aren't getting and you order the upgraded parts, the cost is around 2k-ish. Labor costs etc remains the same as it costs no more to install these upgraded items than it did for the standard items.

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I never understood why so many people loved the outback... Then I drove one.

I rented a small suv for 2 months to cover waiting for my eco-diesel to be built. We got a Jeep Compass trailhawk at first. unfortunately the ess battery died the first week and we had to take it back. in its place we were given a 2021 Outback. It is an amazing vehicle. We plan on replacing our other car with one. we have the smaller engine i the rental, the turbo is even better.

so while I would never use an outback as my primary offroad vehicle, it is still one hell of a car /suv / wagon thing,

Last edited:

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I think you misinterpreted his argument. He's not saying you can purchase those items that cheaply. He's saying that if you install the upgraded items instead of the normal OEM items right in the factory, the cost difference is small.

For example, instead of the 33s which cost I guess around $225 ish if you ordered 35s which cost around $275 ish, the difference is $50.

His point is if you're given credit for the standard items you aren't getting and you order the upgraded parts, the cost is around 2k-ish. Labor costs etc remains the same as ot costs no more to install these upgraded items than it did for the standard items.
No he is completely wrong you cannot view it that way period that is my point. You can only view it as what it would cost you after already buying a Rubicon to buy all these parts and install them!! We all live in the real world it makes zero difference what Jeep pays for these parts. So the $3995 to have all these parts and have everything completely under Factory WARRANTY is a steal!!!

Sponsored

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
I never understood why so many people loved the outback... Then I drove one.

I rented a small suv for 2 months to cover waiting for my eco-diesel to be built. We got a Jeep Compass trailhawk at first. unfortunately the ess battery died the forst week and we had to take it back. in its placed we were given a 2021 Outback. It is an amazing vehicle. We plan on replacing our other car with one. we have the smaller engine i the rental, the turbo is even better.

so while I would never use an outback as my primary offroad vehicle, it is still one hell of a car /suv / wagon thing,
Agreed. Weā€™ve owned 5 Subarus and it pains me to say it. They torch any Jeep in the snow.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
No he is completely wrong you cannot view it that way period that is my point. You can only view it as what it would cost you after already buying a Rubicon to buy all these parts and install them!! We all live in the real world it makes zero difference what Jeep pays for these parts. So the $3995 to have all these parts and have everything completely under Factory WARRANTY is a steal!!!
I get that manufacturers don't price vehicles that way. The poster was just pointing out if things were done fairly that's how it SHOULD be.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Weā€™ve owned 5 Subarus and it pains me to say it. They torch any Jeep in the snow.
I was most amazed at how nice it was to drive in the highway. the ride is so smooth and quiet. we both loved it after the first day and I was talking to local dealers about a lease lol.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I was most amazed at how nice it was to drive in the highway. the ride is so smooth and quiet. we both loved it after the first day and I was talking to local dealers about a lease lol.
Take it on a dirt road, youā€™ll be amazed. They just soak up everything. We have put a lot of highway miles on ours. I have been wanting to replace our ā€˜18 with a turbo, but then Jeep happened, so maybe next year

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
If you get a hard top option from the factory, it's $1500. If you buy the hard top kit from Mopar aftermarket, it's $3000. One could assume you are getting "credit" for the soft top being deleted. If you get the dual top option, it's still less than the full retail cost of both tops.

It's a reasonable expectation to get a favorable price on an option package that replaces standard equipment during the build process. Obviously things change once the vehicle is built and you're ripping things off and bolting things on.

Sponsored

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I've had several subaru's. In 6-10 inches of snow they're great but fall flat once it gets deeper.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of people out there who can afford a $35k Jeep but for whom itā€™s a huge reach to scoop up a Rubicon for $10k more. Why limit the fun to only those who have relatively deep pockets?
First of all- jeep does it this way because it makes them more money. Period.

But Rubicons donā€™t have to cost $45k, $55k or $65k. I got my Rubicon for just under $40k. If someone thinks they can afford a $35k jeep but not a $40k one, they probably shouldnā€™t be buying a jeep to begin with. (Note- Iā€™m not saying everyone should buy a Rubicon, but youā€™re talking about a hypothetical person who wanted a Rubicon but could only ā€œaffordā€ a $35k sport)

Super expensive jeeps only exist because people donā€™t have the self control to not order half the options available. Do you really need heated seats, a body-colored hard top, a bunch of extra safety equipment, premium audio, remote start, and automatic cruise control? Reeeeally? If so, fine, but donā€™t get mad about $45k+ Rubicons.

cold fusion

First Name
Klaid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
2023 models all get D44s and rear locker available on any trim. 2024 models the ā€œXtreme 392ā€ package will have D60s. I should be ready to upgrade around then.

Itā€™s my fantasy, let me have it!šŸ˜œ
I'm probably dead by then, no need to worry and complicate things.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
First of all- jeep does it this way because it makes them more money. Period.

But Rubicons donā€™t have to cost $45k, $55k or $65k. I got my Rubicon for just under $40k. If someone thinks they can afford a $35k jeep but not a $40k one, they probably shouldnā€™t be buying a jeep to begin with. (Note- Iā€™m not saying everyone should buy a Rubicon, but youā€™re talking about a hypothetical person who wanted a Rubicon but could only ā€œaffordā€ a $35k sport)

Super expensive jeeps only exist because people donā€™t have the self control to not order half the options available. Do you really need heated seats, a body-colored hard top, a bunch of extra safety equipment, premium audio, remote start, and automatic cruise control? Reeeeally? If so, fine, but donā€™t get mad about $45k+ Rubicons.
I ordered a ton of options as this will be more than a dedicated trail rig. However I do agree with you. if I wanted to build a trail only rig I would for sure buy the cheapest model possible since most parts would be replaced anyways. if you look at it that way, you can get a brand new Jeep significantly cheaper than the current average new car price. in that regard its a good deal. now fully loaded is another story, my 2020 was 54k msrp with most options. my 2021 is right under 64k. the main difference was the diesel engine. others were just options to make daily driving and long trips nicer. However, no one should pay msrp anyways. my 2020 ended up around 47k purchase price and my 2022 will be roughly 54k. still a lot of money, but that was due to all the options I selected.

Last edited:

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a ton of options as this will be more than a dedicated trail rig. However I do agree with you. if I wanted to build a trail only rig I would for sure buy the cheapest model possible since most parts would be replaced anyways. if you look at it that way, you can get a brand new Jeep significantly cheaper than the current average new car price. in that regard its a good deal. now fully loaded is another story, my 2020 was 54k msrp with most options. my 2021 is right under 64k. the main difference was the diesel engine. others were just options to make daily driving and long trips nicer. However, no one should pay msrp anyways. my 2020 ended up around 47k purchase price and my 2022 will be roughly 54k. still a lot of money, but that was due to all the options I selected.
I just checked the current average new car price in the USA. Right now the average new car price is around $41,000.00. thats a huge number, and in reality you can easily buy a new wrangler under that. in that context, a base rubicon with the xtreme recon package would be a pretty good value compared to the "average" new car.
Sponsored