Sponsored

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
For $80k you could buy a convertible Corvette that you can actually explore the potential of that HP. Another $30k gets you a Lamborghini.
It's funny you say that, I was looking for a fun "toy" for occasional driving and was looking at a Porsche 911, AMG GT or used Ferrari F430, but I kept coming back to the Jeep as something that was fun and practical. And something that could carry the whole family. I think I've fully converted from sports cars altogether given MA roads and weather, the utility factor of SUVs, and having kids. I'm not sure there's a better alternative for me than the 392 in terms of a fun, practical "convertible" that you can also take on the beach. Plus, the maintenance cost and effort is so much easier with a Jeep.
Sponsored

CNSD

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Nothing motivates you to get the 392. You are happy with what you have, so this 392 isn't for you. It isn't for alot of people for various reasons.

My case is different. This Jeep is my summer / hobby vehicle which I DD in the summer, but store in winter.
I drive on the dunes all summer where horsepower is king, and the more horsepower, the more fun.
For me, this is a bucket list dream item come true. I've been waiting 15 years for Jeep to make a vehicle like this, and I am willing to sacrifice to get it.

Edit: We have a Mustang GT as well. But you know what? We can't use the full potential. Unless I go to the drag strip, or on the street in a few small spurts here or there, it serves the same purpose as a basic car other than looking cool.

This Jeep on the other hand, I can make full use of the power, and will on the dunes. There are very limited rules out there. You have to be extremely careful, but it is one of the few places this kind of power can genuinely be used legally, so that is why I am in.....
How much is that beast going to weigh?

CNSD

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Clearance depends on tire radius/diameter, and does not correlate necessarily with height of body above the ground. Both the Rubicon and 392 ride on the exact same 33” tires. The 392 clearance is lower because the hight of the engine drops the engine bay about and inch. We do know from the press release vehicles that the 392 can ride on 37s without issue like the Rubicon can ride on 35s.

One other point of interest is the 392 water fording depth is 2.5” more than a Rubicon.
How much is this beast going to weigh?

CNSD

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This is odd. I’ve just installed the Mopar 2” lift on my 2021 JLUR and I gained on average ~3.5” over stock Rubicon. I’d expect 392 with the same Mopar lift to be pretty close to that.
How much is that beast going to weigh?

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
For $80k you could buy a convertible Corvette that you can actually explore the potential of that HP. Another $30k gets you a Lamborghini.

First, I love the C8, as with all Covettes, it's always been a great performance value. But you can keep your significantly slower, 14 year old Gallardo.

Second, you're comparing two cars that have absolutely nothing in common with an off-road designed Jeep. We aren't buying these to "win" at Le Mons. ;)

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Ahh yes, those new all-wheel-drive Lamborghinis are great at off-roading. Oh, and you missed the MSRP by a factor of 2.
The Lamborghini would admittedly be worse off road than the Jeep on road. But considering how much time most jeeps spend off road or even just with the top off, most drivers would be better suited with a minivan. The same holds true for the Vette and the Lambo. For as much time as people actually drive them fast, they would be better suited with a honda civic.
Personally, I remove my top and doors in the spring and dont put them back on again until the fall. I also spend a lot of time exploring off highway. So, I am stuck with a 2.0 turbo jeep, at least until my lease is up and hopefully there will be a better option by then.
As far as a more powerful jeep goes, my jeep already makes more power than my wife's miata and I still have more fun driving that around town.
Certified preowned Gallardo's are listing on Lamborghini's website for $119K with less than 10K miles.
I bring up the Lamborghini because they are about as useful for the average driver as a 392ci Jeep is.
That being said, I fully support a person right to pursue happiness in whatever way works for them, so long as it doesn't ruin it for everyone else. If someone wants to drive a 500hp Jeep go for it but I wont be impressed until I see them pushing the limits of that engines power. And, I will be talking shit about them every time I pass them on the freeway with my mud covered, 4 banger with the top down.

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
First, I love the C8, as with all Covettes, it's always been a great performance value. But you can keep your significantly slower, 14 year old Gallardo.

Second, you're comparing two cars that have absolutely nothing in common with an off-road designed Jeep. We aren't buying these to "win" at Le Mons. ;)
No, and neither are the people who buy the sports cars.
And, neither are the people who buy the Rubicon's going to run the Rubicon.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
No, and neither are the people who buy the sports cars.
And, neither are the people who buy the Rubicon's going to run the Rubicon.

That wasn't necessarily my point, my point was more that, people who want a "fast" sports car, buy a fast sport car.

People who want an off-road vehicle, buy an off-road vehicle. Just because someone buys a high performance off-road vehicle, doesn't mean they should have bought a sports car instead, as your original post implies.

Those are two totally different types of vehicles, with two vastly different intended purposes.

For me personally, the 392 represents the ultimate off-roader, that's it. :)

-Rob

Sponsored

JustJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
We are giving away a Rubicon 392 at Jeep Beach this year. Will be the best $50.00 anyone spends... I already bought 3 tix

Listen to that 392 We got a loaner, beautiful half doors

Jeep Wrangler JL Official: Jeep Wrangler 392 LAUNCH EDITION Starts at $73,500 Base Price. Build & Price Now Up IMG_3162.JPG

Last edited:

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Yes the price of the 392 is steep, if you just look at at the price. It's expensive but not excessively for what it is in a stock Rubicon. For those comparing it to the bronco.... there's been other attempts to knock the wrangler off it's throne. The FJ, perfect example. I my self am coming from a completely built up 4runner, and in no way did it compare to a wrangler unless I want to pass one going 80+ on the freeway. The 392 IMO is the pentacle of of the best off road vehicle ever produced. The bronco is another suv that is off-road capable, nothing more. Look at it's introduction video with a wheel dangling in the air on a road that looks nothing more than a service road. I'll even admit that some of my 4runners limitation where operator orientated but I'm pretty sure the IFS had a lot to do with that. I hope that some of your predictions about the price dropping and this becoming readily available are right. Though it seems a lot of bad ass models through out the years have had extremely short productions and to me rolling the dice with this isn't the worth extra 10k, 15k, 20k, how ever you want to equate the difference. I would easily through that into another Wrangler trying to get it to where the 392 comes from the factory.
"The 392 IMO is the pentacle of of the best off road vehicle ever produced"

Absolutely, and if you think about it like that, $75K is not out of line in 2021.

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
It's funny you say that, I was looking for a fun "toy" for occasional driving and was looking at a Porsche 911, AMG GT or used Ferrari F430, but I kept coming back to the Jeep as something that was fun and practical. And something that could carry the whole family. I think I've fully converted from sports cars altogether given MA roads and weather, the utility factor of SUVs, and having kids. I'm not sure there's a better alternative for me than the 392 in terms of a fun, practical "convertible" that you can also take on the beach. Plus, the maintenance cost and effort is so much easier with a Jeep.

Graytrucks, I totally agree with your assessment... for me, I just can't get in and out of those low riding Sports Cars anymore and for anyone thinking of buying a TSLA suggest you go get in one and more importantly try to get out of it, why they put that door post where they did in the Model 3 I will never understand... go get the Nissan Leaf + and save yourself about $20k.. best little EV out there.... I had a couple of Chevy SSRs which were a blast going to the store and the car shows but that is about all they were good for... try going to the mountains in the winter in that Vet or Lambo... and here in SOCAL you are not going more than 150 miles without going thru a 5k foot pass that freezes and snows in all the time... So while I could afford one of those sports cars I don't want them.. much rather have this 392 for so many reasons... one of which is just to hear that engine and feel wind and the acceleration from 0 to 30mph on the way to the store :)
Sponsored