Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a question for everyone. Take someone like me for example. I live near a major city like NYC and use my Rubicon primarily as a daily driver or summer topless/doorless beach trips, stay factory stock and almost never off road. If anything, I bought my Rubicon only because I like the way it looks and so does my wife . The 2020 JLUR is almost fully loaded and costs nearly $55k before taxes. A 392 costs $75k before taxes and comes with almost all amenities my current JLUR has even at the base model of the 392.

What should motivate me to go trade in my current JLUR and have an order placed at a dealer for a 392? Although I'd love me a sound of the Hemi, the 392 seems to be a very nichy market that only the most hardcore Off Roaders play in. My heart is really tempting me to go to the dealer and trade in my current JLUR and place an order for the 392. But then my mind tells me that this makes no financial sense and I am better off using the money someplace else since this seems to be nothing but a White Elephant given my use case. Am I saying something wrong?
Not at all, itā€™s definitely an emotional purchase but Iā€™m ready and happy to sit pretty on the LIE. Get a bike and we can dodge potholes together. Better mpg too
Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Here is a question for everyone. Take someone like me for example. I live near a major city like NYC and use my Rubicon primarily as a daily driver or summer topless/doorless beach trips, stay factory stock and almost never off road. If anything, I bought my Rubicon only because I like the way it looks and so does my wife . The 2020 JLUR is almost fully loaded and costs nearly $55k before taxes. A 392 costs $75k before taxes and comes with almost all amenities my current JLUR has even at the base model of the 392.

What should motivate me to go trade in my current JLUR and have an order placed at a dealer for a 392? Although I'd love me a sound of the Hemi, the 392 seems to be a very nichy market that only the most hardcore Off Roaders play in. My heart is really tempting me to go to the dealer and trade in my current JLUR and place an order for the 392. But then my mind tells me that this makes no financial sense and I am better off using the money someplace else since this seems to be nothing but a White Elephant given my use case. Am I saying something wrong?
Like I mentioned in another post, the decision to buy, or not buy something is essentially a matter of your priorities. And what people "prioritize" when buying a car, is VASTLY different from person to person. Ranging from the price of the car, to performance, or the intended use, it's perceived value, is it a good or bad investment (meaning the cars anticipated depreciation, and whether or not you care), to durability, practicality, "keeping up with the Joneses".... the list of motivating factors goes on and on. And most people use their own personal combo of these factors to decide whether or not to buy a car, and that combo is theirs, and theirs alone.

From my perspective, based on what you described, it doesn't sound to me like a 392 would be the best idea for you. I say that because, no off-roading means to me that you have no real need for the performance upgrade, or what that upgrade means for the Jeep's ability to do things like move massive tires easily at some point, since you have no intent to mod it. And if it's just for the increased speed, there's not a lot of places to use it anyway if you're living in NYC, and the top speed you're gonna hit most days lies somewhere between 5 and 15 MPH while stuck in traffic and dodging giant, vehicle swallowing potholes. (Which I understand was the point of JeezAJeep's comments, at least at first.)

And personally, once you start going down the path of whether or not a particular car, truck or Jeep makes financial sense, it say's to me that you're concerned with not just it's perceived value for yourself, (meaning, is what you'll get from owning it worth the cost), but you're likely also concerned about the total cost of ownership, (like higher taxes, what you'll potentially lose to depreciation + increased fuel, insurance, and maintenance costs,) and maybe more importantly, what ELSE could you have done with that same money, that you would have enjoyed more.

But, that's a question of your priorities, that only you can answer. :)

Also, I completely understand, and respect, that everyone has their own opinions. And I believe they should, as well, since it keeps us all from being cookie-cutter versions of each other.

But for the record, it's more when they express theirs by hanging out on a thread about something they don't want and have no intention to buy, just to repeatedly mock and trash those that do, that I tend take issue with.

(Still looking at you, JeezAJeep.)

(šŸ˜„ I'm just kiddin with ya, no hard feelings.)

-Rob

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
392 is a little spendy HOWEVER, I surprisingly got a call from my dealer yesterday and unless the 392 pops on the excluded list they said they'd honor Tread Lightly affiliate pricing. I'm pretty happy about that! I owned a fairly beastly 1976 CJ5 with a 304 that I drove from WI to FL (and back) for Spring Break. For me, the nostalgia factor of the 392 is worth the price alone! Now if I could only get a VIN and get out of BX status after placing my order on November 23d!

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
392 is a little spendy HOWEVER, I surprisingly got a call from my dealer yesterday and unless the 392 pops on the excluded list they said they'd honor Tread Lightly affiliate pricing. I'm pretty happy about that! I owned a fairly beastly 1976 CJ5 with a 304 that I drove from WI to FL (and back) for Spring Break. For me, the nostalgia factor of the 392 is worth the price alone! Now if I could only get a VIN and get out of BX status after placing my order on November 23d!
Who was that? I sent out two emails yesterday to "discount friendly dealers" and got one reply at $5k over list and the other was radio silence.

I'd be a buyer of a TRX or 392 at typical Ram/Wrangler discounts but seems nobody wants to take my money. I can wait.

Last edited:

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
This is honestly one of the biggest who cares ever. Anyone that is buying this already has a blank check for $100k because theyā€™re immediately going to do $20k worth of mods before it even leaves the dealership.

Whereā€™s a turbo I6 or 5.7 V8 for ~$2k at so that Jeep can compete with Bronco? A budget 300-400 hp/tq engine option is desperately needed for the JL. (And no I donā€™t care about the 4Xe or diesel, the diesel is too expensive and not fast enough, the 4Xe too complex and untested).
A lot of assumptions...But anyway...wait a year and we should see the 3.0 Straight Six with some miles behind it in the GC, have some news as to when it replaces the Pentatstar, and prob have news of when the twin turbo, (Non-Budget Performance Version) will be out to replace the 5.7 HEMI and hopefully make it into the JL & JT in some additions.

Sponsored

DellCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Who was that? I sent out two emails yesterday to "discount friendly dealers" and got one reply at $5k over list and the other was radio silence.

I'd be a buyer of a TRX or 392 at typical Ram/Wrangler discounts but seems nobody wants to take my money. I can wait.
Oh, believe me.... I spent the better part of a Friday night, full Saturday, and Sunday morning calling dealerships in NC, SC, GA, and FL... I finally found one in the Orlando area that said "no ADM and at MSRP"... which is why I was happily surprised when they said they'd honor the Tread Lightly affiliate pricing. Once I get everything in writing - the true test - I'll happily share the dealer info.

purduecrew

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XR392, 2023 JLURD, 2022 Yukon Duramax
Oh, believe me.... I spent the better part of a Friday night, full Saturday, and Sunday morning calling dealerships in NC, SC, GA, and FL... I finally found one in the Orlando area that said "no ADM and at MSRP"... which is why I was happily surprised when they said they'd honor the Tread Lightly affiliate pricing. Once I get everything in writing - the true test - I'll happily share the dealer info.
Im with you on this. SInce there will most likely be a glut of these plus a lower price point on the next round, it should be no different than a Rubi and one should be able to find Tread Lightly/12-13% off MSRP and that means you could find a true base 392 for ~$70k discounted to ~$60K. Then Ill make the jump.

CockneyUSA

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X, Corvette Grand Sport, Toyota Tundra. Ordering 392...
Iā€™m very curious about this ā€œ2 inch factory liftā€ seeing as it doesnā€™t look any taller than a regular Rubicon. Probably a build bug but I still suspect it will not be two inches taller than a Rubicon.
D113417C-2735-414D-98C4-CEDC7C3181BF.gif
OK let's clear this up. The 2" lift is over the stock Wrangler. It is only 1" over the Rubicon.

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Im with you on this. SInce there will most likely be a glut of these plus a lower price point on the next round, it should be no different than a Rubi and one should be able to find Tread Lightly/12-13% off MSRP and that means you could find a true base 392 for ~$70k discounted to ~$60K. Then Ill make the jump.
Is included in that price a hair dryer so you can melt the ice and snow off of the windshield?

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
Not at all, itā€™s definitely an emotional purchase but Iā€™m ready and happy to sit pretty on the LIE. Get a bike and we can dodge potholes together. Better mpg too
Is included in that price a hair dryer so you can melt the ice and snow off of the windshield?

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Does your $55k Moab have
  • Factory 2 in. lift
  • Hood Scoop
  • Beadlock capable wheels
  • ESS delete (probably worth $10k alone :LOL: )
  • Big-ass Hemi with warranty
  • Probably some other stuff (better brakes, frame, etc.)
$20k more than your Moab is a lot, but it's not like it's a "$4k or less" difference in vehicles.
Fair enough, perhaps. Or not. Itā€™s an individual decision. My Moab has a hood scoop same as rubicon. Cosmetic... without the 392 necessary breathing apparatus.

in any case most of us are likely to upgrade the suspension anyway. I am getting teraflex w 3.3s. I donā€™t need the rest, so its not worth it or a direct simple comparison. Iā€™d spend that coin on a Raptor before the 392.

my point still is that to me it is not a good value.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
If the rumor that there will be a "base" 392 model for around 60k turns out to be true, then your approach would net you one around ~50k if it works. Not bad. ;)
Sponsored