Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Does your $55k Moab have
  • Factory 2 in. lift
  • Hood Scoop
  • Beadlock capable wheels
  • ESS delete (probably worth $10k alone :LOL: )
  • Big-ass Hemi with warranty
  • Probably some other stuff (better brakes, frame, etc.)
$20k more than your Moab is a lot, but it's not like it's a "$4k or less" difference in vehicles.
Again - the extras are worth $10,000 extra compared to other similarly equipped models, not $20,000....But it doesn’t matter what I think if FCA can find ample buyers....

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Here is a question for everyone. Take someone like me for example. I live near a major city like NYC and use my Rubicon primarily as a daily driver or summer topless/doorless beach trips, stay factory stock and almost never off road. If anything, I bought my Rubicon only because I like the way it looks and so does my wife . The 2020 JLUR is almost fully loaded and costs nearly $55k before taxes. A 392 costs $75k before taxes and comes with almost all amenities my current JLUR has even at the base model of the 392.

What should motivate me to go trade in my current JLUR and have an order placed at a dealer for a 392? Although I'd love me a sound of the Hemi, the 392 seems to be a very nichy market that only the most hardcore Off Roaders play in. My heart is really tempting me to go to the dealer and trade in my current JLUR and place an order for the 392. But then my mind tells me that this makes no financial sense and I am better off using the money someplace else since this seems to be nothing but a White Elephant given my use case. Am I saying something wrong?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
One other factor - no discounts on the 392 yet.... I priced out a 392 at $78,000...I paid $53,000 for my similarly equipped 2020 Recon which had a sticker close to $58,000. That’s not a small difference. A v8 would be fun, but the v8’s sticker is $10,000 more than it should be. I guess high price is one way Jeep can avoid impacts to its mpg compliance efforts. If I want speed, the 2.7 turbo Bronco will get me there at the same price as a 2.0l loaded rubicon. The Bronco won’t rock crawl as well but it will beat the wrangler by most other measure. I am a wrangler fan but the value proposition is diminishing with factory price gouging. A day of reckoning is coming...soon.
Discounts are already happening if you have a good dealer outside cities where the speculators play.

$78K MSRP and $67,900 "my price" from my dealer. I am just hesitating if I want to spend that money with gas going to $6 a gallon - or more.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
I am from NYC as well...if I wanted to go fast, I would move to another state. To me, having a Hemi Wrangler( I owned a Hemi RAM 1500) in NYC is a waste of money in a Wrangler. To be honest, I owned Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW's, Lexus and cannot move at a fast pace due to potholes, red light cameras, etc...the only advantage in a 392 Wrangler is they do not have low profile tires...go fast with a Wrangler? lol...its like a big piece of plywood in the wind with 8 MPG...in my opinion, a BIG BIG waste of money

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am from NYC as well...if I wanted to go fast, I would move to another state. To me, having a Hemi Wrangler( I owned a Hemi RAM 1500) in NYC is a waste of money in a Wrangler. To be honest, I owned Corvettes, Mustangs, BMW's, Lexus and cannot move at a fast pace due to potholes, red light cameras, etc...the only advantage in a 392 Wrangler is they do not have low profile tires...go fast with a Wrangler? lol...its like a big piece of plywood in the wind with 8 MPG...in my opinion, a BIG BIG waste of money
Lmao...imagine racing on a straight road like the Long Island Expressway or Deer Park Avenue in Suffolk County or Route 107 in Hicksville, Nassau County with a Rubicon 392? You know someone will do it!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Ha. Jeep now offers the Wrangler in 2.0T, 3.6, Diesel, 4XE, 392 Hemi, and a full electric version is in the works. But now, a turbo I-6 or 5.7 V-8 is “desperately needed” for the JL to “compete with Bronco.” I respectfully disagree. For more reasons than what’s under the hood.
Don't forget about the 2.2!

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
yep, then you will hear how messed up the cops are for giving a ticket or how this piece of plywood cannot handle the speed of a 392. Lol

OP
OP
pnut

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Here is a question for everyone. Take someone like me for example. I live near a major city like NYC and use my Rubicon primarily as a daily driver or summer topless/doorless beach trips, stay factory stock and almost never off road. If anything, I bought my Rubicon only because I like the way it looks and so does my wife . The 2020 JLUR is almost fully loaded and costs nearly $55k before taxes. A 392 costs $75k before taxes and comes with almost all amenities my current JLUR has even at the base model of the 392.

What should motivate me to go trade in my current JLUR and have an order placed at a dealer for a 392? Although I'd love me a sound of the Hemi, the 392 seems to be a very nichy market that only the most hardcore Off Roaders play in. My heart is really tempting me to go to the dealer and trade in my current JLUR and place an order for the 392. But then my mind tells me that this makes no financial sense and I am better off using the money someplace else since this seems to be nothing but a White Elephant given my use case. Am I saying something wrong?
Nothing motivates you to get the 392. You are happy with what you have, so this 392 isn't for you. It isn't for alot of people for various reasons.

My case is different. This Jeep is my summer / hobby vehicle which I DD in the summer, but store in winter.
I drive on the dunes all summer where horsepower is king, and the more horsepower, the more fun.
For me, this is a bucket list dream item come true. I've been waiting 15 years for Jeep to make a vehicle like this, and I am willing to sacrifice to get it.

Edit: We have a Mustang GT as well. But you know what? We can't use the full potential. Unless I go to the drag strip, or on the street in a few small spurts here or there, it serves the same purpose as a basic car other than looking cool.

This Jeep on the other hand, I can make full use of the power, and will on the dunes. There are very limited rules out there. You have to be extremely careful, but it is one of the few places this kind of power can genuinely be used legally, so that is why I am in.....

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
WOWOWOW.
...I wonder where he got the emblems from.
That was my first thought too, the 392 badge on the hood even has the bronze trim around it! Does anyone more familiar know if the 392 badge from any other FCA vehicles has bronze edging on it like the 392 Rubi?

Sponsored

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
JeezAJeep, your kind of a buzz kill. Got it you don't like the 392 and see it as a waste, go check out the 4XE. Not sure if it's to much engine, price or you just like being a Debby downer. This is one hell of vehicle and many of us felt like it being produced was like a dream come true. For a lot of us this is not just a vehicle, its a hobby. To me my hobbies are priceless!

Last edited:

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Which is exactly why you shouldn't buy one. As with any purchase, it's about priorities, what appeals to you as the buyer. What the trolls refuse to except is that I don't need you to share my priorities to feel good about buying something, as I'm not buying it for you. ;)

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
There isn’t a single new car out there that isn’t a waste of money. No new car at today’s prices makes any sense, and the 392 is no different. That being said, let’s just be glad a v8 is finally in a Wrangler. V8’s have always commanded a premium price anyway. I won’t get one but I’m happy to see it being offered.

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
JeezAJeep, your kind of a buzz kill. Got it you don't like the 392 and see it as a waste, go check out the 4XE. Not sure if it's to much engine, price or you just like being a Debby downer. This is one hell of vehicle and many of us felt like it being produced was like a dream come true. For a lot of us this is not just a vehicle, its a hobby. To me my hobbies are priceless!
I always say, it’s all opinion. I just expressed how I feel living in NYC and owning a 392. Not a buzz kill nor a troll. If you don’t like my opinion just scroll right past it. If you wanna comment on a post I was answering for another guy, so be it. Could not care less. In any case, enjoy your Jeep’s whichever one you choose

Last edited:

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing motivates you to get the 392. You are happy with what you have, so this 392 isn't for you. It isn't for alot of people for various reasons.

My case is different. This Jeep is my summer / hobby vehicle which I DD in the summer, but store in winter.
I drive on the dunes all summer where horsepower is king, and the more horsepower, the more fun.
For me, this is a bucket list dream item come true. I've been waiting 15 years for Jeep to make a vehicle like this, and I am willing to sacrifice to get it.

Edit: We have a Mustang GT as well. But you know what? We can't use the full potential. Unless I go to the drag strip, or on the street in a few small spurts here or there, it serves the same purpose as a basic car other than looking cool.

This Jeep on the other hand, I can make full use of the power, and will on the dunes. There are very limited rules out there. You have to be extremely careful, but it is one of the few places this kind of power can genuinely be used legally, so that is why I am in.....
Absolutely in your case! There is a reason why Dubai off roaders use V8 Toyota Land Cruisers for their off roading experience because all they have outside the city are dunes. You need momentum and HP to conquer those. Wonder if the 392 may put any dent on Land Cruiser sales in Dubai? It is similarly priced to a Land Cruiser after all.

I do see the 392 advertised on Jeep’s Mid East site also. Guess they might be on to something for that market: https://www.mideast.jeep.com/ar/2021/wrangler/rubicon-392.html
Sponsored

Last edited: