Official: Jeep kills the Cherokee

Catsailr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
My 2000 Jeep Cherokee was my entrance into the Jeep world and is the reason I'm now waiting on my 2023 JLU Willys to be built. The XJ is an awesome vehicle. The new generation Cherokee makes no sense at all.

I briefly thought about buying the current Cherokee to replace my XJ, but after research I realized a JLU is a near perfect replacement, even an upgrade, for everything I liked about the XJ plus more.

So I'm not sad to see the Cherokee go now. It never came back. The XJ was the true Cherokee.
I bought a 2000 Cherokee new and it was my first jeep. Still have it but it hasn't run in about 10 years.
Sponsored

keithcroshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator (A lot of overlap)
I ranted to a buddy when I saw an article about it. I had a 2000 XJ as a "sorry your dad died" offering from the dealership he worked at his entire life (wasn't free just deeply discounted). I under appreciated that thing so much as a young lad and nearly gave it away when I got a "real" job for a KK (which they called liberty but in the rest of the world I think it was called Cherokee). Honestly they killed the Cherokee when they discontinued the XJ. The KK wasn't anywhere near as capable as the XJ and it was a slug to boot. My wife got the new Cherokee when it first came out and it looked like an Orca whale. The transmission seemed like a beta test as the 8 speed transmission was constantly hunting for the ideal gear while you spun your tires when pulling out into traffic.

No farewells here, it's been weekend at Burnie's since 2001.

ScarberiaDude

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2022
Occupation
Retired
+1 for missing the KL Cherokee. I was looking for a small vehicle capable of towing 3000+ lbs. The Cherokee was the smallest vehicle with a V6, and with the Trailhawk guise has some modest off-road capabilities too. The GC is way more vehicle than I need. So far zero troubles with my 2022.

Amazingly the 3.2 Pentastar V6 gives me the same fuel economy as my old Patriot with its 4-banger.
Sponsored