Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Don’t really know how that cafe crap works but I don’t see how that would be an issue it’s already in the wagoneers and soon to be in ram trucks, they all but said this will be the new “5.7” that they stick in just about everything
CAFE or
The CAFE standards in a given model year define the CAFE levels that manufacturers' fleets are required to meet in that model year, specific levels depending on the characteristics and mix of vehicles produced by each manufacturer. If the average fuel economy of a manufacturer's annual fleet of vehicle production falls below the applicable requirement, the manufacturer must either apply sufficient CAFE credits (see below) to cover the shortfall or pay a penalty, currently $14 per 0.1 mpg under the standard, multiplied by the manufacturer's total production for the U.S. domestic market.

They're going to the Hurricane over the V-8 because it get's better milage and helps the meet the new stricter CAFE standards, but it's still over the CAFE standard. To get the average they need, they'll have EX and 2.0T helping bring the average up. I got a $500 rebate for going with the 2.0T so they could meet the CAFE standard.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it is partly to meet CAFE standards —and not get fined. But it is also to keep Wrangler competitive on the market.

The competition is not standing still. Every month other automakers are introducing all-new or heavily redesigned SUVs with more power and greater efficiency; Jeep needs to make sure Wrangler remains competitive until JM comes out.

Wrangler is on a 10-year product cycle; most everyone else is on a 5-year cycle. That makes it harder on Wrangler to stay competitive.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yes, it is partly to meet CAFE standards —and not get fined. But it is also to keep Wrangler competitive on the market.
Problem is, the Wrangler isn't competitive on the engine front. Hasn't been for as long as I can remember. The only JL trim that IS competitive is the limited production 392. All the other engine choices are seriously lacking. Given where the JL stands now, it's difficult to see how they would position a Hurricane-powered JL in the market. IF it even ends up in the JL, a 420hp turbo V6 is not going to be the standard engine. Absolutely no way...all they need is 330-350hp and if they can save that kind of efficiency they absolutely will. But that can be done with the NA V6 or 2.0T, and those already fit the JL. So I think it's pretty obvious that IF the Hurricane comes to the JL, it will be a 392 replacement, not a standard engine.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Jeep just killed the 2.4L NA in the Compass and made the 2.0T (in detuned form) standard on the Compass.

With the disgraceful problems (and fuel costs out of control) of the diesel and the Hemi V8 fast approaching expiration date, it won't be long until the 2.0T and 3.0T are only engines in the Wrangler.

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Jeep just killed the 2.4L NA in the Compass and made the 2.0T (in detuned form) standard on the Compass.

With the disgraceful problems (and fuel costs out of control) of the diesel and the Hemi V8 fast approaching expiration date, it won't be long until the 2.0T and 3.0T are only engines in the Wrangler.
We’ve seen media release and speculation regarding this, however as we know The diesel days are fast approaching to near the end, nothing yet in regards to the 392 production end, but I would expect jeep to continue to offer the 2.0 and 3.6 in the wrangler market till they come out with the new updated model wrangler at some point I believe we’ll see some sort of new 392 concept possibly offering the 3.0 stellantis is not going to miss the money making opportunity of the 3.0 available in a special edition like the 392 so they can bank on it 💰💰💰 I highly doubt it they will offer the option of an engine upgrade on the wrangler as we have seen with the diesel or how they are doing it now on the wagoneer plus it remains to be seen how jeep decides moving forward in the EV department and what choices we’ll have aside from the 4xe hybrid

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
We’ve seen media release and speculation regarding this, however as we know The diesel days are fast approaching to near the end, nothing yet in regards to the 392 production end, but I would expect jeep to continue to offer the 2.0 and 3.6 in the wrangler market till they come out with the new updated model wrangler at some point I believe we’ll see some sort of new 392 concept possibly offering the 3.0 stellantis is not going to miss the money making opportunity of the 3.0 available in a special edition like the 392 so they can bank on it 💰💰💰 I highly doubt it they will offer the option of an engine upgrade on the wrangler as we have seen with the diesel or how they are doing it now on the wagoneer plus it remains to be seen how jeep decides moving forward in the EV department and what choices we’ll have aside from the 4xe hybrid
I fully agree. They make a ton of dollars on the 392…they will make the 3.0 “special” and keep the markups they have with the 392. That said, $85,000 for a gas guzzling 3.0l turbo wrangler might begin to lose its appeal long term….

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Jeep execs have said on multiple occasions that the hurricane(s) will replace the 3.6l ‘across all platforms’ probably why the have different output versions.
Where? I have yet to see any mention of the 3.0 coming to the Wrangler. The only places I have heard this are the speculation in this Jeep forum. Otherwise i've seen confirmation that it's coming to the Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee, and lots of speculation from automotive enthusiast sites. Can you cite a confirmation?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Where? I have yet to see any mention of the 3.0 coming to the Wrangler. The only places I have heard this are the speculation in this Jeep forum. Otherwise i've seen confirmation that it's coming to the Grand Wagoneer and Grand Cherokee, and lots of speculation from automotive enthusiast sites. Can you cite a confirmation?
Afaik, the only person with any possible insider knowledge that has publicly mentioned the 3.0 i6 coming to the Wrangler is auto journalist David Zatz, the founder of the Allpar forums. He first broke news of this engine years ago and has written a few articles at Stellpower mentioning it coming to the Wrangler with a somewhat higher degree of certainty than just random speculation.

Not quite a Stellantis exec or anything, but not at all worth dismissing imo.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I'm kinda of the same opinion. Frankly, I still think it's questionable that the engine compartment of the current JL is long enough. If that's the case, we may not see a "Hurricane" I-6 in a Wrangler until a model change.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I'm kinda of the same opinion. Frankly, I still think it's questionable that the engine compartment of the current JL is long enough. If that's the case, we may not see a "Hurricane" I-6 in a Wrangler until a model change.
Well...there is a redesigned Wrangler frame out there. I've seen it. I was told it was intended for the 2023 "refresh" but that was 2 years ago and as we can all see, there is no refresh for 2023. Perhaps it's just been pushed back a year, I can't say. But what I can say is that it exists, and a whole slate of accessories have been designed for it and some have even been ordered by Stellantis. So the frame is coming, sometime. Also of note, there are tub changes for this frame too, but I don't know what they are exactly. So that frame MIGHT have whats needed to make the 3.0 fit the Wrangler.

It seemed like a done deal to me that the 2023 would bring a refresh along with the 3.0, UNTIL the 3.0 launched as a 400-500hp limited production motor, and the 2023 Wrangler launched with no significant changes. Next most logical conclusion is that all this happens next year, but again, no official word that the 3.0 will actually make it to the Wrangler and still that production issue. It's also extremely unlikely that the Wrangler is going to end up with a 400hp+ motor that's not a limited edition.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I still think it's questionable that the engine compartment of the current JL is long enough.
I've been wondering about that very thing. The JL-generation transmission tunnel was widened to accommodate the ZF transmission, which had the collateral effect of reducing footwell space. It's not so cramped as for it to be cause for concern, though, and the 850RE in my Jeep has been nothing less than superlative.

That said, the JL Jeeps are positively bloated when compared to their TJ and YJ predecessors (the latter being just a tarted-up CJ to begin with). How much larger, and more costly, will the next-gen Wrangler necessarily become to address the never-satisfied demands of those who believe the vehicle requires ever more horsepower?

Jeep Wrangler JL Official: Hurricane Twin-Turbo 3.0 I-6 Coming for Jeep - HO with 510HP and 500 ft-lbs! Bloated JL Slim YJ

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
In 1987 Jeep was able to enlarge the firewall in the Cherokee to fit the 4 Litre . They needed a better high torque engine then, as now .
Sponsored