First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I agree in theory, now here comes the but— is there a technical reason it’s not offered with a manual now? The present clutch is in serious need of an upgrade, the manual is due an upgrade to a more stout 7 speed granny box, do the “take” numbers justify the R&D and production cost? What effect would a manual have on the T-4’s mpg and epa numbers? Whatever considerations corporate has that we don’t have a clue about.
All that is true. Jeep has to manage those trade-offs but part of me thinks it won't look good if the next Jeep doesn't have a Stick while the Bronco does. With the fierce rivalry between these two off-roaders, I can't imagine Jeep wants to concede this issue and give Bronco a "win" even if it means nothing, It will be a line in a commercial. just my opinion.
Sponsored

Reactions: LCW

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
All that is true. Jeep has to manage those trade-offs but part of me thinks it won't look good if the next Jeep doesn't have a Stick while the Bronco does. With the fierce rivalry between these two off-roaders, I can't imagine Jeep wants to concede this issue and give Bronco a "win" even if it means nothing, It will be a line in a commercial. just my opinion.
If you read my earlier posts ranting about marketing and advertising you already knew that I completely agree!👍

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Not gonna lie, this could make me switch from the diesel. Similar torque but almost 140 more horsepower sounds quite interesting. I'm sure the fuel economy would be nowhere near the same though.
I think within a few months of this engine being available in the Ram that the Ecodiesel option will go away completely.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I definitely see your point but consider that the Wrangler frame, cooling system, 4x4 drivetrain, and suspension all had to be heavily modified to fit this engine. This is a lot of R&D that needs to be paid for. And also considering that they could only build a few of them, this meant the R&D cost is spread over a much smaller number and therefore we ended up with $80K 392 Wranglers!
I mean I guess if your ok paying for Jeeps R&D go for it. Lol.. They've been building Jeeps forever and using the 6.4 in everything from pick up trucks, SUVs, to muscle cars. Its a staple engine. I doubt it takes much R&D to just reinforce a frame and install heavier suspension. To me it's not much more R&D then a 6.4 4x4 pick up truck.

I don't know it is what it is i guess. This could be debated until the cows come home. Regardless of the reason it's just hard to swallow that extra $40k over a Scat pack just because it has 4 wheel drive. That's a lot of money.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Won’t happen bc of tall 2.66:1 first gear.
It can also be had with a 2.97:1 1st gear, not super low but with 475ftlbs and factory 4.88's now available it would work well enough in my opinion. I think Stellantis is a big enough customer they could probably get tremec to build one with a lower 1st gear though?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It can also be had with a 2.97:1 1st gear, not super low but with 475ftlbs and factory 4.88's now available it would work well enough in my opinion. I think Stellantis is a big enough customer they could probably get tremec to build one with a lower 1st gear though?
A lower numerical ratio means a physically bigger gear to handle the torque input.

I don’t know the D478’s dimensions but I imagine they are very similar to NSG370, which was 25” long vs 32” for the TR-6060

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I mean I guess if your ok paying for Jeeps R&D go for it. Lol.. They've been building Jeeps forever and using the 6.4 in everything from pick up trucks, SUVs, to muscle cars. Its a staple engine. I doubt it takes much R&D to just reinforce a frame and install heavier suspension. To me it's not much more R&D then a 6.4 4x4 pick up truck.

I don't know it is what it is i guess. This could be debated until the cows come home. Regardless of the reason it's just hard to swallow that extra $40k over a Scat pack just because it has 4 wheel drive. That's a lot of money.
yes, it is hard to swallow. Hence I got a Willys with a stick and softtop! lol

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

The scat pack can be had as a fairly stripped model and is still $46k. That's only $32k less than the 392. The 392 however comes pretty loaded. Add the auto trans, leather, technology group, etc to the scat to get it equipped the same and now it's $60k+. $18k for a full frame, 4 wheel drive, etc isn't all that unreasonable anymore? It's still comparing apples and oranges, but at least they are similarly equipped fruits.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since Bronco offers a granny box they should keep up and not settle for “well enough” crawler gear and keep higher gear ratio for hwy mpg is optimal. If they are willing to accept the cost to be competitive?

Reactions: LCW

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Since Bronco offers a granny box they should keep up and not settle for “well enough” crawler gear and keep higher gear ratio for hwy mpg is optimal. If they are willing to accept the cost to be competitive?
Bronco only offers that on their least powerful engine. Jeep doesn't need to "keep up". As hard as Ford tried, they are still playing catch up. Especially if you want to talk about rock crawling. The Bronco has no articulation and even with the crawl gear has a higher crawl ratio than a Rubicon with 4.88's. Gearing is about torque multiplication, I'll take a 55:1 crawl ratio with a tremec and 500 ftlbs in a jeep over 94:1 and 300 ftlbs in a Bronco any day, but maybe that's just me? Of course if you throw the auto behind the new 3.0t and you get the crawl ratio and the power.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The scat pack can be had as a fairly stripped model and is still $46k. That's only $32k less than the 392. The 392 however comes pretty loaded. Add the auto trans, leather, technology group, etc to the scat to get it equipped the same and now it's $60k+. $18k for a full frame, 4 wheel drive, etc isn't all that unreasonable anymore? It's still comparing apples and oranges, but at least they are similarly equipped fruits.
I get what you're saying. Prices of everything have gone up since I paid $38k for my Scat Pack. And fully loaded ones are more money. But man I still think $80k for a Jeep is hard to swallow. And you are correct they definitely get you with the fully loaded package only. How much is a 6.4 Ram these days? I haven't looked. Shouldn't be more then that. I did wish Jeep would offer a less interior optioned less expensive 392. But with the 392 being on its last legs and on its way out unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I get what you're saying. Prices of everything have gone up since I paid $38k for my Scat Pack. And fully loaded ones are more money. But man I still think $80k for a Jeep is hard to swallow. And you are correct they definitely get you with the fully loaded package only. How much is a 6.4 Ram these days? I haven't looked. Shouldn't be more then that. I did wish Jeep would offer a less interior optioned less expensive 392. But with the 392 being on its last legs and on its way out unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
If you price out a power wagon with the level 3 equipment group, off road group, and safety group to get the most apples to apples comparison to the Wrangler 392 it works out to ~$77k I guess that's just the price point for a 4wd, 392 equipped, off road beast with lockers, sway bar disco, rock rails, AND luxury creature comforts from the factory? Of course that's base model trx territory and if I was spending $80k on another truck that's where my money would go.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
If you price out a power wagon with the level 3 equipment group, off road group, and safety group to get the most apples to apples comparison to the Wrangler 392 it works out to ~$77k I guess that's just the price point for a 4wd, 392 equipped, off road beast with lockers, sway bar disco, rock rails, AND luxury creature comforts from the factory? Of course that's base model trx territory and if I was spending $80k on another truck that's where my money would go.
A power wagon is a lot more Truck then a Jeep I would say with a massive amount of towing capability. It's a much larger vehicle. Even just in Materials alone there's a lot more metal materials through out the longer length of the entire truck.

I don't know I just think there's a bit of price gouging going on because it's Jeep and the excitement behind the fact that Jeepers have been asking for a V8 forever. JMO..

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco only offers that on their least powerful engine. Jeep doesn't need to "keep up". As hard as Ford tried, they are still playing catch up. Especially if you want to talk about rock crawling. The Bronco has no articulation and even with the crawl gear has a higher crawl ratio than a Rubicon with 4.88's. Gearing is about torque multiplication, I'll take a 55:1 crawl ratio with a tremec and 500 ftlbs in a jeep over 94:1 and 300 ftlbs in a Bronco any day, but maybe that's just me? Of course if you throw the auto behind the new 3.0t and you get the crawl ratio and the power.
IFS-will never = , I believe an upgrade to a stouter granny box is overdue and would be a welcomed upgrade. They claim they listen and want to give us what we ask for so let’s make noise, Maybe, Might, Possibly pay attention?I know-Good Luck.
Sponsored