Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Was at the Philly auto show a few weeks ago. At the Jeep booth they knew nothing about this engine.. or maybe just weren't telling. When asked the only thing they knew about future engines is the V8 was done.
Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Huh, thought they still offered the non-ESS 3.6 for the Sport. My bad!

I know the new 3.0T should obviously be longer than the 2.0T, but do we absolutely know that it's significantly longer than the 3.6 Pentastar with sleeved cylinders? I'm just having a hard time visualizing how it would be prohibitively more difficult to fit the new 3.0T into a JL 2-door chassis versus the RubiTrux 2-door they crammed with a 6.2L Demon V8 mated to a ZF8..

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/jeep-wrangler-build-features-demon-v8-engine/

And purely imo, but it just seems dumb to create a new global engine platform that wouldn't fit into the 2-door Wrangler.
I was going to say WHERE, how can I get one!

As for length the V6 is about the same as the I4 the cylinders are staggered and overlap. The V8 is about as long as a 5 cylinder. Eliminating the sleeves.... they are really scraping for mm there. Sleeves aren't that thick, they might gain 13mm, 1/2 inch.

Reactions: AFD

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Automakers will never talk about future product until its officially announced. The Philly auto show people are dealer lackeys and agency people anyway.

Was at the Philly auto show a few weeks ago. At the Jeep booth they knew nothing about this engine.. or maybe just weren't telling. When asked the only thing they knew about future engines is the V8 was done.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
LOL, we'll see. They were pretty though!

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
As exciting as this news is, I don’t think it will be in the wrangler too soon. Seems like RAM and big Jeep suv vehicles will get priority.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Dale Jewett “the Hemi V8 is in our product lineup for the foreseeable future “ Road and Track today. Replacing all V8’ in all vehicles will take time.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
My 2022 JLUR XR is only at 1,781 miles and I already see myself calling Gupton to order a 23. Bet you 23 is refresh and part of it will be this engine. I want one. I will have one. Don't tell my wife.

Ketamingo

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Honda Accord. 2023 JLUR XR HVY ordered 6/25.
"The Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is the primary internal combustion power plant of the future in North America for vehicles using the STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms."

Seems like more of an educated guess than just wishful thinking that this will come to the Wrangler. This engine is part of Stellantis simplifying their global production (goodbye HEMI and 3.6). The STLA platform is all about consolidation across their multiple brands and preparation for EVs. The Wrangler is part of the STLA Frame group. While much of the STLA platform is solely for EVs, the STLA Frame includes the future of ICEs as well. They say in this engine announcement that we'll see it on showroom floors this year but, while their roadmap indicates that STLA Large will roll out with model year 2023 and STLA Frame isn't coming until 2024. So yeah, we'll probably see this in the Grand Wagoneer for 2023 but not likely in the Wrangler or Ram until 2024.

https://electricvehicleweb.com/stellantis-stla-platform-details/

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Offer this in a JLR and I'm in!!! When can I order??

Reactions: AFD

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

More than likely had something to do with this:

iu.jpeg
The only half overhead (intake), half flathead (exhaust) engine I ever heard of. Replaced the 3A’s L head with the F head because it is about a 20% HP increase. Had to use a short Holley from a Fairlane 6 and trim the hood pinch seam to not cut a hole in the hood 😊

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
So, it's more a pessimism due to the 2-door constantly being neglected?

On the other hand, iirc, the 2-door still has 4 engine choices currently being offered. The 2.0T, 3.6 w/ESS, 3.6 without ESS and 3.6 eTorque MHEV. That's rather excessive imo, and the 3.0T (at least the SO) could easily replace one (or all) of the Pentastar options.

I could maybe see them saving the 3.0T HO for the 4-door as a 392 replacement, but the SO would be a great match for the smaller 2-door.

I've never had any desire to wait for potential upcoming options/revisions for the Wrangler before, but think I'm absolutely gonna wait it out to see if they can at least get the SO into the 2-door. I can definitely see today's official announcement having an 'Osborne effect' (customers holding off their purchase) until they manage to release a road map of exactly which vehicles are getting these new engines, and when.
Your 4 options are only 2 engine options. The 3.6 non-etorque is the only option(which isn't an option when it's singular) for a manual JL. The 3.6 etorque or the 2.0t are the only options with an auto. In reality you have 2 transmission options and a choice between 270hp 2.0t and 285hp 3.6. 15hp, that is your option. No more no less. I think it's wishful thinking at best to envision the 3.0t going in a 2dr. They better design a new manual transmission if they plan on putting it behind 400hp, they had to detune the 3.6L so the clutch wouldn't burn up. The death of the pentastar will likely be the end of the manual transmission the way things are headed.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
So yeah, we'll probably see this in the Grand Wagoneer for 2023 but not likely in the Wrangler or Ram until 2024.
The new i6 HO was already added (and subsequently removed) from the 2022 Grand Wagoneer online configurator as a $2k option just yesterday. Might've been a fluke, but between that and the official press release stating it'll be in showrooms sometime this year, I don't think we'll be waiting for '23MY for some models.

https://moparinsiders.com/our-first...win-turbo-3-0-liter-gme-t6-inline-six-engine/

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your 4 options are only 2 engine options. The 3.6 non-etorque is the only option(which isn't an option when it's singular) for a manual JL. The 3.6 etorque or the 2.0t are the only options with an auto. In reality you have 2 transmission options and a choice between 270hp 2.0t and 285hp 3.6. 15hp, that is your option. No more no less. I think it's wishful thinking at best to envision the 3.0t going in a 2dr. They better design a new manual transmission if they plan on putting it behind 400hp, they had to detune the 3.6L so the clutch wouldn't burn up. The death of the pentastar will likely be the end of the manual transmission the way things are headed.
I sincerely hope that is not the case in terms of the death of the manual transmission. I am hopeful that because some of Wranglers biggest competitors (Bronco) still offers a row your own option, Jeep will find a way to make it work).

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I sincerely hope that is not the case in terms of the death of the manual transmission. I am hopeful that because some of Wranglers biggest competitors (Bronco) still offers a row your own option, Jeep will find a way to make it work).
It's doable, if they use the manual from the challenger/charger line up. They'd be foolish to try to make the mediocre current wrangler manual survive behind 400hp, especially in vehicles that are under warranty.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR