Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
In a Wrangler I'm sure Jeep will place a skid plate under the oil filter making it nearly impossible to get damaged by off road activities AND impossible to access it during oil changes.
Just like a 5th Gen 4Runner. You have to drop a plastic air dam and completely remove a skid plate every. single. time. you. change. the. damn. oil. Not an access panel — an entire skid.

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I was a little worried that I'd want one of these right away until I read this part = to get the most umph, you'll have to pay basically the same price for diesel (here). I know my 3.0L is a dinosaur, but I'll hang onto it for a good while longer thanks anyway. I'll lay odds you'll se the I6 in the Ram & Dodge muscle cars well before the Wrangler also.

Any thoughts on the new powerplant being direct-injected?
Makes sense. I think we'll see them in the bigger vehicles first. The launch vehicle is the Grand Wagoneer. That thing got dinged pretty hard by the reviewers for the massive weight - 600 lbs more than an Expedition/Escalade - and atrocious fuel consumption.

With only 250K/year capacity when fully ramped, they will need to be judicious on where to offer it. They are not like Ford that cranks out over a million Ecoboosts per year.

I think we will see it in the Wrangler as a halo engine for the Bronco Raptor fighter. Maybe they'll call it the Rubicon Hurricane.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi,

Will be neat to see where it ends up, funny thing just got my 22 JLUR 3.6 6mt and it's getting 15.5mpg, my 2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6 392 gets 17-22mpg, so what will this new inline 6 get 20-25mpg?

Regards,
Jim
Jeep is saying 15% better fuel economy than 5.7 Hemi. So, you need to keep expectations more realistic. In the Wrangler speed is your enemy. I can get 20MPG at 55MPH but only 14MPG at 85MPH.

Guess my average?

OP
OP
gato

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
apples and oranges but i love the inline 6 in my E46 BMW

I thought i'd keep my JL "forever" but with the 392, XR package and now this, Stellantis is making it harder and harder not to trade in and upgrade.
All engines should be In line 6. If you need more power, join them for a V12.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Just like a 5th Gen 4Runner. You have to drop a plastic air dam and completely remove a skid plate every. single. time. you. change. the. damn. oil. Not an access panel — an entire skid.
But it's so simple to do, de minimis.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I just hope they give us choices. I think the inline six, twin-turbo, is great. I would never choose that over the 3.6L, but I'm glad it's available. I just hope they keep offering the simple, along with the complex.

Sponsored

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Jeep is saying 15% better fuel economy than 5.7 Hemi. So, you need to keep expectations more realistic. In the Wrangler speed is your enemy. I can get 20MPG at 55MPH but only 14MPG at 85MPH.

Guess my average?
Hi again,

Both are based on 70-90 mph, have a 07 Ram 5.7 and at best it gets 11-15 mpg don't ask me how a 392 gets the best mileage of my fleet, so if this new straight 6 doesn't get in the mid 20's at a minimum then don't see the advantage.

Agreed a Jeep is a brick at best as far as aerodynamics. Although a Challenger isn't a light vehicle either.

Regards,
Jim

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
But it's so simple to do, de minimis.
Not sure if this is serious or not.

If it is serious, I would propose installing a skid plate that sits 1” above your toilet seat. Don’t worry! It will require “only” six bolts to remove, and you must reinstall it after every flush. Bolts will need to be torqued to spec, natch.

This process may sound unnecessary but it’s actually very simple. De minimus, really.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

A JLUR XR with just the SO version of this powerplant would be enough for me to look at trading in. Use the HO version with some 37s to be the high end halo Wrangler

Reactions: AFD

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I'm waiting on my flat-six to be built but yes other than flat-sixes, inline sixes are the next best ;) Aside from V10s, of course.

All engines should be In line 6. If you need more power, join them for a V12.
Sponsored