Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ok, so what is the latest??? Is this engine coming to the Wrangler?

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Bad news, but word on the street is that it's skipping the Wrangler and going straight into the newly redesigned 2025 Renegade Trackhawk. Only the 500HP+ engine, though. Whee! šŸ˜¬

(but no, haven't seen any new news or rumors about it)

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
the only way I see this happening is at some point when they decide to end the 392 and move away from the V8 hemi stellantis could consider coming out with a replacement model of the 392 badging it in some sort of new form to then drop this engine in it! Honestly if you are looking ahead you see that most car manufacturers are all shifting to 4 cylinder engines with turbo etc and hybrid or full electric vehicles so in my opinion I would say the 2.0 or 4xe will be the base model engines going forward for the wranglers platform

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
the only way I see this happening is at some point when they decide to end the 392 and move away from the V8 hemi stellantis could consider coming out with a replacement model of the 392 badging it in some sort of new form to then drop this engine in it! Honestly if you are looking ahead you see that most car manufacturers are all shifting to 4 cylinder engines with turbo etc and hybrid or full electric vehicles so in my opinion I would say the 2.0 or 4xe will be the base model engines going forward for the wranglers platform
Bummer.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Reactions: AFD

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
If it sounds anything like BMW's 3.0 twin-turbo I6 in their X3 M, it will be highly enjoyable. Different from V8 noises, but extremely peppy and menacing in its own way.

I'm still watching to see what happens with the Hurricane I6 and the Wrangler. My guess is it will slip into 392 territory - you can have it, if you pay waaaaay too much for it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I was talking to one of the Jeep Jamboree trail guides tonight in prep for this weekend's Rubicon Trail run. He's been talking to Jeep engineers about the Hurricane and says that it just won't fit. It needs about two more inches, so we won't see it until the Wrangler iteration after the JL.

Jeep Willys

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door
I was talking to one of the Jeep Jamboree trail guides tonight in prep for this weekend's Rubicon Trail run. He's been talking to Jeep engineers about the Hurricane and says that it just won't fit. It needs about two more inches, so we won't see it until the Wrangler iteration after the JL.
thatā€™s what GM engineers told the executives about big blocks in the F and X body both. Until they went to Yenkos dealership and they had a big block in a nova.

give me and a couple other rednecks a wrangler and a hurricane and it will fit.

Sponsored

Dusty Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ply Roadrunner, 2010 Challenger SRT

Call me old, but I remember when they said you couldnā€™t fit a big block into an A-body Dodge. A dealer did it, and then drove it to Detroit to show the engineers it could be done.

If they can squeeze a 392 into a JL, I have a hard time believing that they couldnā€™t squeeze the Hurricane in there too.

IMHO, I think it was a bean counter decision to wait until the JM due to cost.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Generally they have a couple of big wigs hanging out at SEMA. Will try to see if any of them are talking about upcoming changes. They don't give away any secrets, but they do confirm items like whether the engine "could" fit in there or not.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Call me old, but I remember when they said you couldnā€™t fit a big block into an A-body Dodge. A dealer did it, and then drove it to Detroit to show the engineers it could be done.

If they can squeeze a 392 into a JL, I have a hard time believing that they couldnā€™t squeeze the Hurricane in there too.

IMHO, I think it was a bean counter decision to wait until the JM due to cost.
The 392 is two cylinders shorter.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
He's been talking to Jeep engineers about the Hurricane and says that it just won't fit. It needs about two more inches, so we won't see it until the Wrangler iteration after the JL.
That's what they all say šŸ˜¬

Still find it incredibly hard to believe that Stellantis designed a new global engine, with the primary purpose of fitting in as many STLA Large and STLA Frame global platforms as possible, yet it somehow doesn't fit one of their best-selling vehicles on the largest of those platforms by a mere 2 inches.

Dumber things have happened and even if the JL is short for this world, it's still entirely possible that Jeep/Stellantis is simply spreading FUD (false information) to avoid creating an unwanted Osborne Effect (potential customers cancelling or postponing immediate/near-future purchases for something better/cheaper/newer).

Anything is possible, but manufacturers pull this shit all the time, and for good reason.

The Osborne Effect: "is a social phenomenon of customers canceling or deferring orders for the current, soon-to-be-obsolete product as an unexpected drawback of a company's announcing a future product prematurely. It is an example of cannibalization." (LINK)

FUD: "Fear, uncertainty and doubt is a manipulative propaganda tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics, polling and cults. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information, and is a manifestation of the appeal to fear." (LINK)

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF

These mopar, ford and GM cars that got BB stuffed in them were all designed to have the standard engine be an in-line 6. The problem was width.
This Hurricane engine is long! If you look up the specs it about 5 yes 5 inches longer then the 392.
Sure they can fit it in a wrangler, just remove the grill.
Sponsored