Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
Are we factoring in head wind frequency or earthquake generated inclines? How about the direction traveled? If east/west you have to figure the rotation of the earth differently than north/south. What about average drag coefficient of the regional asphalt composition combined with the rubber compound and tread design of the given tire?
African, or European?
Sponsored

Stl-Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
Most likely if you ever plan on selling it. I was never ever going to sell my JK (lifetime powertrain warranty), but then the diesel came along....so I guess things change. But as of now, once I move up to a Diesel JL I have no plans on ever selling it.
I understand that impulse when someone buys a vehicle they think they will keep it forever (and you may) but how often does someone actually do that?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I get 17 city and 13 on the highway at 80. How does EPA rate highway higher?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got worse with 37s but was always bad. Hot and very thick humid Texas air doesn't make for great power or help with drag

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Got worse with 37s but was always bad. Hot and very thick humid Texas air doesn't make for great power or help with drag
Drag increases at the square of speed...drop that to 75 and you’ll be surprised how many mpg’s you get back.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly par for the course. 24 MPG combined is more realistic and is what diesel Jeeps were getting 15 years ago. That's about what you can expect from any midsize diesel 4x4.

So,

1,500 miles per month / 24 miles per gallon = 62.5 gallons per month @ $3.05/gallon = $190.63 per month

1,500 miles per month / 19 miles per gallon = 78.9 gallons per month @ $2.45/gallon = $193.31 per month

Difference between gas and diesel is $2.68 per month. At $6,000 (diesel option plus required automatic trans. upgrade) it would take 186 years to break even on the money spent.

*Fuel prices based on national averages per the EIA. Years to break even point doesn't consider added diesel maintenance and repair costs.
24 is more realistic if you add weight or rolling resistance or rack up above-average city miles. Forums make it easy to think everyone adds significant weight and rolling resistance to their wrangler, but the reality is not so. For the folks who do, the delta between 3.6/2.0 and 3.0 mpg will actually grow larger. Whilst you seem interested in educating buyers, your calculation applies to a rather small minority of Americans whose regional fuel prices mirror the exact delta between national average 87 and diesel prices. The large majority of us live a different reality so a more helpful buying tool (for those who actually care about paying back the up front premium, which is likely less than you think), would be one that allows the input of one’s own regional delta between 87 and diesel.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Drag increases at the square of speed...drop that to 75 and you’ll be surprised how many mpg’s you get back.
It's true, at 45 I get almost 30 mpg, 20 at 55, and it just gets worse from there

jesnamy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bikini (Amy)
Why use $6,000 for basis? I only see it as $3,250 on Rubicon with same equipment.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why use $6,000 for basis? I only see it as $3,250 on Rubicon with same equipment.
Because 186 years is like throwing accelerant onto a small fire lol

ETA: as an example of how variable this calculation is by region, the 3.0 premium on my rig will be paid back between year 3 and 4 of ownership...including DEF and oil change costs. I’d have bought it even if I was losing money in the long run because the performance differences are well-applied to my intended uses, but suffice to say, “averages” can be deceiving.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Who is buying a diesel for a) the environment, or b) for the economics.

Anyone chiming in on threads to bash the diesel for either of these two reasons clearly doesn't get it......at all.

It's the extra 200 lbs ft of torque. And for overlanders, it's the massive range, especially with some jerry cans/rotopax. I think I can pretty easily carry enough fuel for 1,000 mile range.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
Who is buying a diesel for a) the environment, or b) for the economics.

Anyone chiming in on threads to bash the diesel for either of these two reasons clearly doesn't get it......at all.

It's the extra 200 lbs ft of torque. And for overlanders, it's the massive range, especially with some jerry cans/rotopax. I think I can pretty easily carry enough fuel for 1,000 mile range.with
I’m buying it for both environmental and economic reasons. Diesel is slightly dirtier than gas per gallon used now when factoring in refinery but since you get more range per mile it’s technically a bit cleaner. Economically I’ve already posted my break even numbers (approximately 120k) which should be realized within 7 years since this will be the “road trip” vehicle along with my daily driver. The range is also a huge benefit, Vegas to Zion and back on a single tank, Victorville to Tahoe via 395 on a single tank, LA to Bend on two tanks is better than pretty much anything else out there.

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
Most folks do not buy a vehicle based solely on practicality. If they did, we would all be driving the same vehicle. Americans make emotional connections to our vehicles. We chose a model, color and options that appeal to us. If it was all about the environment, we would all drive electric cars that need charging every few days ( as long as we do not discuss how the electricity is made).

I doubt that anybody who buys a Jeep, regardless of the power plant did so based on a detailed analysis or costs vs environment, I suspect it is really based on "I want one", and all the options are secondary. The discussion on costs are secondary as well. Some folks make a visceral connection with the diesel. Sure, mileage may be a factor, torque is certainly a factor, longevity is a factor, but when all is said and done, I bought a diesel, cause I wanted one. In terms of the overall cost of the Jeep, the extra ~$3500 is not really a concern.

So to try to convince folks that this power plant is better or worse, or the costs involved with specific engine are not justified does not really matter. You may decide the diesel is not for you, but we decided it was for us.

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
Sold my JK just to buy the diesel. The JK was a garage queen as will be the diesel. Most of us here don’t care about mpgs. Buddy has the 2.0 e-torque on 40s and loves it. To each his own.

84CE70A3-2556-40E0-B7F0-B75455ED3061.jpeg

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Those debating cost per mile should do so after adding 37s. I’m guessing most of us considering this option are going that route or larger.

My only concern is warranty as it will start life as a daily driver and stripping emissions not currently an option.
Sponsored