Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The EPA has just published its fuel economy figures for 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited EcoDiesel V6.

The EcoDiesel Wrangler gets 29 mpg on the highway, 22 in the city, and 25 in combined driving. These figures are for the four-door model with an automatic, the only configuration offered with the 3.0L diesel engine.

Jeep Wrangler Ecodiesel MPG.png
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. FCA... build my Jeep already!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Exactly par for the course. 24 MPG combined is more realistic and is what diesel Jeeps were getting 15 years ago. That's about what you can expect from any midsize diesel 4x4.

So,

1,500 miles per month / 24 miles per gallon = 62.5 gallons per month @ $3.05/gallon = $190.63 per month

1,500 miles per month / 19 miles per gallon = 78.9 gallons per month @ $2.45/gallon = $193.31 per month

Difference between gas and diesel is $2.68 per month. At $6,000 (diesel option plus required automatic trans. upgrade) it would take 186 years to break even on the money spent.

*Fuel prices based on national averages per the EIA. Years to break even point doesn't consider added diesel maintenance and repair costs.

Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Can you run those numbers at 2500 miles per month, 29mpg, $0.30 more for diesel fuel, and $4000 cost for diesel? I run 90% highway miles and would have auto transmission with any engine. Thanks!

Crux

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.0D JLUR ordered
Or can you rerun them for places where diesel is the same price or cheaper than 87?

This poor dead horse... how many times is it going to be beat? Smh

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
@JAY can we combine these two identical posts? I think I answered this question fairly well, but it's in the other identical post in general discussion.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Exactly par for the course. 24 MPG combined is more realistic and is what diesel Jeeps were getting 15 years ago. That's about what you can expect from any midsize diesel 4x4.

So,

1,500 miles per month / 24 miles per gallon = 62.5 gallons per month @ $3.05/gallon = $190.63 per month

1,500 miles per month / 19 miles per gallon = 78.9 gallons per month @ $2.45/gallon = $193.31 per month

Difference between gas and diesel is $2.68 per month. At $6,000 (diesel option plus required automatic trans. upgrade) it would take 186 years to break even on the money spent.

*Fuel prices based on national averages per the EIA. Years to break even point doesn't consider added diesel maintenance and repair costs.
Or we can use the automatic, because it still is the most commonly sold, and does get 1 more MPG over the manual according to the EPA. And then the cost to upgrade is reduced to 4500. Then we can estimate with the old standard of 15,000 miles a year instead of 12k. And then we can even estimate what it might be for folks who run larger than stock tires because a large segment of our Jeep community does that.

20191220_094805.jpg

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I'm not sure what the deal is, but this theme runs rampant all over the internet. I can't imagine constantly poking my head into threads all over the place just to declare how much a certain product sucks. Seems the simple answer is don't buy said product and be happy.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm not sure what the deal is, but this theme runs rampant all over the internet. I can't imagine constantly poking my head into threads all over the place just to declare how much a certain product sucks. Seems the simple answer is don't buy said product and be happy.
Which is exactly what every wise consumer will do.

Unfortunately, there are a gob of people who buy based on assumptions without doing the math. So, we constantly have to show them. That's what Jeepers do. We help each other.

Gringostarr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Diesel Ocean Blue
Occupation
Architect
Been wanting to upgrade my TJ since the JL came out (I was never a fan of the JK) and since the diesel was announced I've been doing a ton of math to see if it was worth upgrading.

Based on mileage and price of gas/diesel in my area alone it's looking like the break even point for me would be at 100k-120k miles over the turbo and between 80k-100k over the 3.6 which to me seems great, and those break even numbers will only improve as the price of fuel continues to go up over the years.

Also that 500 mile range means I can make the trek up 395 to Tahoe on a single tank of gas which pleases me greatly.

Now to wait until they bring back Sarge Green so I can order mine.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
As someone with a 09 and a 3.8 it makes a lot more sense for me. I get around 14-15 city and 17-18 on the highway. This basically equates to a $750-$850 savings in fuel per year based on the 18K miles I drive each year and an extra 100+ miles per tank (less time at the pump). Regardless, I could care less about cost and just want the power as my 09 can barely get out of the way. The savings in fuel is just a bonus for me. My family had a Ecodiesel GC in the fleet and it was awesome to drive, it never stopped pulling with all the TQ.

I find it odd that everyone jumps on the fact that over a 2.0L or 3.6L it most likely won't pay for itself for most, but no one questions anyone when they spend 10s of thousands doing a HEMI swap and ends up getting less MPG than what they started with. In my opinion, the diesel is the best of both worlds, all the TQ with better MPGs.

Stl-Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
Shouldn't we assume that the diesel engined jeep will have a higher resale value than the gas engine and that would reduce the amount of miles needed to break even? It isn't a known number so it won't plug nicely into the calculation but in terms of real world dollars it would matter.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Shouldn't we assume that the diesel engined jeep will have a higher resale value than the gas engine and that would reduce the amount of miles needed to break even? It isn't a known number so it won't plug nicely into the calculation but in terms of real world dollars it would matter.
Most likely if you ever plan on selling it. I was never ever going to sell my JK (lifetime powertrain warranty), but then the diesel came along....so I guess things change. But as of now, once I move up to a Diesel JL I have no plans on ever selling it.
Sponsored