First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
This study is half assed at best. Modern Diesels, even those without a tier 4 style emissions control, are much cleaner than the ones from years ago. And much better for our environment than gasoline engines. Those studies cannot link to any actual deaths. All they can link to is increased heart and lung disease deaths. Correlation does not equal causation. Those same areas with increased heart and lung disease are also areas where smoking is more prevalent, and where unfiltered coal plants are providing power. The amount of particulates in the air couldn't even be produced by the Diesels in the area. It's a bunch of propaganda bullshit that they are using to try to get rid of internal combustion engines all together. They know that it's easier to win the "better for the environment" arguments against gasoline engines because of the CO2 levels.
Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
I let my "Non Filtered" Diesel Truck idle, for 20 minutes, the other day. Just because I hadnt started it in a couple of weeks. Then I revved the engine several times, blowing out the soot.
I feel soooo goooood!!!!

I think I will do it more often now. Have a nice day. :flag:.

I miss my straight piped 5.9 Cummins......

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
This study is half assed at best. Modern Diesels, even those without a tier 4 style emissions control, are much cleaner than the ones from years ago. And much better for our environment than gasoline engines. Those studies cannot link to any actual deaths. All they can link to is increased heart and lung disease deaths. Correlation does not equal causation. Those same areas with increased heart and lung disease are also areas where smoking is more prevalent, and where unfiltered coal plants are providing power. The amount of particulates in the air couldn't even be produced by the Diesels in the area. It's a bunch of propaganda bullshit that they are using to try to get rid of internal combustion engines all together. They know that it's easier to win the "better for the environment" arguments against gasoline engines because of the CO2 levels.

Maybe Al Gore, and a big "Carbon Tax", on all U.S. Diesels will solve the worlds environmental problems??

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Ehhh, they cause a lot more pollution but less CO2. Nitric dioxide is not so great for you despite it being used as a pulmonary vasodilatior. I would never say diesels are cleaner than gasoline engines.

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
Is anyone aware that diesel exhaust contributes to high sulfur emissions that are a high factor in greenhouse gas emissions and destroying the environment?
Anyone that would defeat the emissions controls... Idiocy.
Is anyone aware that diesel exhaust contributes to high sulfur emissions that are a high factor in greenhouse gas emissions and destroying the environment?
Anyone that would defeat the emissions controls... Idiocy.
Some sulfates actually have a cooling effect and counteract greenhouse gasses but they only stay in our atmosphere for a week. Look up sulfate aerosols.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ehhh, they cause a lot more pollution but less CO2. Nitric dioxide is not so great for you despite it being used as a pulmonary vasodilatior. I would never say diesels are cleaner than gasoline engines.
I will absolutely say that. The particulate matter of a modern Diesel is lower than many direct injection engines. And they have less harmful off gassing from the combustion cycle because it burns much more of the fuel. And if you have ever worked in a garage on both Diesel and gasoline, you quickly learn how gas engines make you feel sick but Diesel does not.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I know that gasoline is basically a derivative of diesel (couple steps maybe?).
I have always wondered how much pollution is made (and energy spent) from creating gasoline from diesel fuel?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I will absolutely say that. The particulate matter of a modern Diesel is lower than many direct injection engines. And they have less harmful off gassing from the combustion cycle because it burns much more of the fuel. And if you have ever worked in a garage on both Diesel and gasoline, you quickly learn how gas engines make you feel sick but Diesel does not.
Regens make me nauseous. Diesel never bothered me until they came up with that diesel exhaust gem of a treatment.

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
In
Finally! Finally we can put exact numbers in our various calculations and algorithms proving how the diesel has a higher total cost of ownership than the petrol engines. Truly, a red letter day.
In my entire life (and I'm 63) I've never see an individual buy a car/truck/suv/motorbike on total cost of ownership. Cheapest, fastest, biggest, best looking, best milage, yes. Lowest total of ownership, never. They may try and rationalize the total cost of ownership but as they say "figures lie and liars figure".

Sponsored

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
That’s kind of anecdotal evidence. Also sick is so vague, what kind of sick? I will agree direct injection produces more particulate when not under a load. The emissions from both engines are different. If you like driving a diesel then drive one, don’t try to say they’re so much better for the environment and people. Both engines have different levels of pollutants. I prefer gas because the engines are less of a dog and you can build a gasser for torque if you need to, they don’t need to be turbocharged like a diesel and every time I fill up my hands are coated in oil that won’t wash off.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
A "pretty creditable study", ya gotta be kidding. I am in favor of leaving a clean environment for our descendants, but I would not refer to this "study" to support more restrictions on diesel emissions. As studies go, your referenced study is rather slim on accurate and supportable facts. The tern "linked" should be a red flag for anyone reading further into this article.

Human contributions to our polluted environment is quite evident and only an Ostrich would dispute the fact, how could they know with their head buried. We, as a specie, do not intend to ruin our environment, but we do like to cut corners toward realizing our wants. It is our independent nature to do as we please. Unfortunately weak willed humans will remove their own nose to spite their face and injure our own environment for instant gratification. It is part of being human. The homo sapiens supporting environment on this planet is doomed by our very existence, hard to accept but quite evident. The proliferation of our specie, over time, will be too much for the climate of Earth to support us. Accept it or destroy half of humanity and move on with your life. The Universe that we call home is in constant evolution, our planet included.
You should change you name to "Thanos"

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I know that gasoline is basically a derivative of diesel (couple steps maybe?).
I have always wondered how much pollution is made (and energy spent) from creating gasoline from diesel fuel?
Gasoline and diesel fuel (along with many others) are created from refining crude oil through distillation. Basically, heat it up, put it in a distillation column and the heavies stay at the bottom and the lights on the top. Almost every bit of crude is made into something with very little waste.
fractional-distillation-crude-oil-diagram-illustration-103308261.jpg

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
You should change you name to "Thanos"
Yeah I saw that reference earlier in the thread and didn't realize it was directed at me. Had no clue about Thanos until googling today. Comic books, yeah read a few of those 60 years ago. Should have kept them instead of smearing them with silly putty and putting them in the burn barrel with the rest of the trash. Could have bought a 2020 Wrangler with all the sports cards and comic books we went through as kids.

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
Regardless of whether or not diesel has a higher cost than gasoline, the diesel is on my radar. I have a 20 mile drive one way to work, 6 days a week. If I get 25 mpg, that 18 gallon tank should give me almost 2 weeks without refueling. Right now I get 23 in my car, and fill up once every 7-8 days. If I can extend that by 3-4 more days, I'll be happy.

Besides an EGR delete and a tune will yield a better performing, more fuel efficient and less polluting engine. I know this from personal experiences with doing numerous EGR repairs on the Rams with the Cummins. Most of the EGR repairs were for replacement of the DPF and EGR valve. I had a couple of customers do the EGR delete and a tune and solved the check engine light that these 2 things failing cause due to the fact that the Cummins were daily driven with occasional heavy work. The trucks that didn't have EGR and DPF problems were either turned or were used to haul and tow heavy loads a majority of the time.
Sponsored