Sponsored

Official EPA Fuel Economy For 2020 Jeep Wrangler Ecodiesel: 22/29/25 MPG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR; 2021 JLR
We traded in a Mercedes ML350 BlueTec (6 cylinder turbo diesel)(which we purchased new) for a JLUR w/ 3.6 engine.

The diesel Mercedes was a beast--not fast acceleration, but it felt very powerful and performed well--fun to drive. It was a great, reliable family SUV, but we unloaded it as soon as the extended factory warranty expired at 75K. At the end, it had major problems with the exhaust systems which thankfully was covered under warranty.

If you want the diesel Wrangler I'd say go for it and have fun with it--and then unload it as soon as the warranty expires. Or, budget for the possible or probable emissions / exhaust failures at 70-80K miles. $$$

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the diesel will flop or have issues, or not. Only time will tell. My opinion follows, the old school jeepers (those who do all their own wrenching and a good deal of fabrication) will have the creativity and bravery to tweak the diesel to its best performance. The new school jeepers (those who mod their rigs with bolt on kits only) may not have the cahoneys to get the best out of the powertrain, too scared to void their warranty. In the mean time, members will rip on a powertrain before it has shown its longevity and capabilities. I choose to keep an open mind.

Wishing all the best to those who have a diesel model on order. And, Happy Holidays to all, hoping we all have a good 2020!

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Dont care. I've worked around my diesels I've owned since 2000. The exhaust smells better from a diesel. Your eyes don't water and burn from the diesel exhaust. When was the last time, or anytime, someone died from inhaling diesel exhaust. Would I purposefully inhale the fumes? No. But when I do, I don't wet my panties and call poison control. As for the DPF, yank it, and crank it. Your engine will love you for it. Screw the Draconian EPA.

According to this pretty credible study, almost 400k people per year are killed prematurely due to diesel emissions (from older engines that lack a DPF):

https://phys.org/news/2019-02-pollution-deaths-linked-diesel.html

That's fine if you 'don't care', but other folks might care about their lives and their children's lives, and they are breathing the same air. If you want to make reckless decisions that only affect you, just choose not to wear your seatbelt. Don't rip out your DPF and dump soot into the face of the folks behind you on the trail. It's got nothing to do with any government agency, just about not being a dick.

And that's the crux of the diesel conundrum; they make you choose between leaving your DPF intact and suffering through maintenance nightmares and performance-sucking regen cycles, or ripping it out and being a dick to your fellow man.

Last edited:

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
According to this pretty credible study, almost 400k people per year are killed prematurely due to diesel emissions (from older engines that lack a DPF):

That's fine if you 'don't care', but other folks might care about their lives and their children's lives, and they are breathing the same air. If you want to make reckless decisions that only affect you, just choose not to wear your seatbelt. Don't rip out your DPF and dump soot into the face of the folks behind you on the trail. It's got nothing to do with any government agency, just about not being a dick.

And that's the crux of the diesel conundrum; they make you choose between leaving your DPF intact and suffering through maintenance nightmares and performance-sucking regen cycles, or ripping it out and being a dick to your fellow man.
Maybe I’m reading the article wrong? Says worldwide 385k people died from air pollution (I’m not sure how they come up with the numbers as somehow they are including some lung/heart disease, strokes, and diabetes in their data) but 47% were diesel related. So that’s 180k (9400 in the U.S.). Obviously that’s to many deaths but I feel these studies sometimes are off. Are they taking a heart disease death and saying air pollution was a possible cause and using it? I don’t know.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350

Cry me a larger river will ya. I want to be awash in liberal tears lol.

400,000 people out of 7.5 billion. Big fucking deal. Also you know how many people heart disease kills every year? Look it up cry baby. Educate yourself. If it's still possible for you......orange man bad right? Everyone is racist. Diesel is bad. That latest power.....reallocation in California was awesome!

When the mega city turns you into soylent I'm sure other leftists will appreciate it. Yummm.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Cry me a larger river will ya. I want to be awash in liberal tears lol.
I never mentioned a thing about political ideologies; you're just projecting your own insecurity there. There is nothing 'liberal' about my ideology anyway; I am firmly libertarian on every 'Political Compass' test I've ever taken (as are you, if I had to guess).

I believe people should be able to do whatever the hell they want, unless it hurts me or my family. Folks that rip out their DPF are just pissing in the well. We don't even need scientists or government agencies to tell us that, because many of us lived through exhaust soot making the air in most American cities un-breathable in the 70s, and it's still happening now in third world countries.

You should try actually using your own brain sometimes, instead of just mindlessly parroting tropes you read on social media. All this 'libtard'/'Trumptard' stuff has turned people into sheep that lost the ability to think for themselves. But I suppose it's easier to babble on about crying rivers of Soylent or whatever the hell you were talking about than making a cogent argument about how modifying your vehicle to dump diesel soot into the air is a good idea.

Last edited:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I never mentioned a thing about political ideologies; you're just projecting your own insecurity there. There is nothing 'liberal' about my ideology anyway; I am firmly libertarian on every 'Political Compass' test I've ever taken (as are you, if I had to guess).

I believe people should be able to do whatever the hell they want, unless it hurts me or my family. Folks that rip out their DPF are just pissing in the well. We don't even need scientists or government agencies to tell us that, because many of us lived through exhaust soot making the air in most American cities un-breathable in the 70s, and it's still happening now in third world countries.

You should try actually using your own brain sometimes, instead of just mindlessly parroting tropes you read on social media. All this 'libtard'/'Trumptard' stuff has turned people into sheep that lost the ability to think for themselves. But I suppose it's easier to babble on about crying rivers of Soylent or whatever the hell you were talking about than making a cogent argument about how modifying your vehicle to dump diesel soot into the air is a good idea.
It's all about control. You'd obviously be happy under the leftist system in your 'normal use zone'.

agenda-21-map.jpg

Reactions: PSI

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase

QUOTE]
A "pretty creditable study", ya gotta be kidding. I am in favor of leaving a clean environment for our descendants, but I would not refer to this "study" to support more restrictions on diesel emissions. As studies go, your referenced study is rather slim on accurate and supportable facts. The tern "linked" should be a red flag for anyone reading further into this article.

Human contributions to our polluted environment is quite evident and only an Ostrich would dispute the fact, how could they know with their head buried. We, as a specie, do not intend to ruin our environment, but we do like to cut corners toward realizing our wants. It is our independent nature to do as we please. Unfortunately weak willed humans will remove their own nose to spite their face and injure our own environment for instant gratification. It is part of being human. The homo sapiens supporting environment on this planet is doomed by our very existence, hard to accept but quite evident. The proliferation of our specie, over time, will be too much for the climate of Earth to support us. Accept it or destroy half of humanity and move on with your life. The Universe that we call home is in constant evolution, our planet included.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

I let my "Non Filtered" Diesel Truck idle, for 20 minutes, the other day. Just because I hadnt started it in a couple of weeks. Then I revved the engine several times, blowing out the soot.
I feel soooo goooood!!!!

I think I will do it more often now. Have a nice day. :flag:.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
My political views definitely lean right but the air we breath is now considered a carcinogen. Something everyone should be concerned with.
Pretty sure the air is cleaner that it used to be say 30 to 100+ years ago. My grandfather had great stories about having coal dumped into the home basement to feed the furnace in St Louis with zero particulate filtration on the stack.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Pretty sure the air is cleaner that it used to be say 30 to 100+ years ago. My grandfather had great stories about having coal dumped into the home basement to feed the furnace in St Louis with zero particulate filtration on the stack.
Lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase