Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I believe so. Is it not longer than the JK?
Yes, but like I said (and what I thought you were replying to since you quoted it) the JLU is being lengthened 1" more than the JL. (WB lengthened 1.4" with JL and 2.4" with JLU)
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Yes, but like I said (and what I thought you were replying to since you quoted it) the JLU is being lengthened 1" more than the JL. (WB lengthened 1.4" with JL and 2.4" with JLU)
I apologize, I missed the 1" part.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Isn't the JL getting the same 8 speed trans as the JLU?
As long as they are the same engine, diesel vs gasoline should be the only different ZF8s, not the 2dr vs 4dr.

Ah, missed the source of the question above it. Yes no difference.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
As long as they are the same engine, diesel vs gasoline should be the only different ZF8s, not the 2dr vs 4dr.

Ah, missed the source of the question above it. Yes no difference.
To be fair, I did think about the possibility that the extra 1" could be due to the diesel engine drivertain.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To be fair, I did think about the possibility that the extra 1" could be due to the diesel engine drivertain.
It’s not why, but let me bake your noodle a little working backwards about a random theory why...

OK so JLU increase to Wheelbase is longer than JL by a small amount (1”)...

Now what is only available as a JLU and not a JL...

Sahara is only available as a JLU, what’s only available on the Sahara...

Selec-Trac... and where is the TC located...

Right behind the Transmission right under the tub between the drive shafts & wheels...

And how much thicker is an NV242 than NV241... I dunno, but really you could just account for that with a shorter shaft anyways.

Now, I’m not saying it’s SelecTrac, but if you want a theory, that one comes to mind, even though I place NO faith in it, just some ramblings after watching the hockey game and a few beers. :idea::beer:

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
It’s not why, but let me bake your noodle a little working backwards about a random theory why...

OK so JLU increase to Wheelbase is longer than JL by a small amount (1”)...

Now what is only available as a JLU and not a JL...

Sahara is only available as a JLU, what’s only available on the Sahara...

Selec-Trac... and where is the TC located...

Right behind the Transmission right under the tub between the drive shafts & wheels...

And how much thicker is an NV242 than NV241... I dunno, but really you could just account for that with a shorter shaft anyways.

Now, I’m not saying it’s SelecTrac, but if you want a theory, that one comes to mind, even though I place NO faith in it, just some ramblings after watching the hockey game and a few beers. :idea::beer:
That's pretty much exactly how I arrived to the possibility of the 1" being due to the diesel since as far as we know, it will also only be in the JLU. The SelecTrac is a good thought though. Really, I think Jeep has taken the opportunity to improve road manners and/or interior space a bit.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
No, you're missing my point... I think it's because they are willing to sacrifice a slight off-road cpacity in the 4 door because they know 95% of them will never know the difference in off road capabilities.

To most 4 door jeep owners, the extra space would be 10x more valuable than the slight reduction in break over angle. Jeep knows this. People buying the 2 door have already given up the idea of "extra room". 1" ain't gonna do squat to help get more buyers there.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
No, you're missing my point... I think it's because they are willing to sacrifice a slight off-road cpacity in the 4 door because they know 95% of them will never know the difference in off road capabilities.

To most 4 door jeep owners, the extra space would be 10x more valuable than the slight reduction in break over angle. Jeep knows this. People buying the 2 door have already given up the idea of "extra room". 1" ain't gonna do squat to help get more buyers there.
I'm betting the designers did absolutely everything they could to not grow the JLU. Now, if I was on the team, I'd at least take a look at slightly increasing cargo space on the 2 door. Now that my kids are nearly out of the nest, I don't need the 4 door, but the lack of room for ski and bike crap mandates the JLU or the JT for my next rig.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Wheelbase. Once I finalize my vehicle budget and start shopping vehicles, wheelbase is the first specification I review. It will tell me a number of things about a vehicle, including how it is likely to handle, ride, and maneuver, as well as issues of weight distribution and interior space volume among other characteristics. For Jeeps, it obviously tells me a few more things related to off-road use. As we know, a short wheelbase generally gives us good cornering but poor aerodynamics and a long wheelbase gives us good stability but poor maneuverability. For the road, I generally use my JKU because I prefer a longer wheelbase (116"); for the trail, I generally use my TJ because I prefer a shorter wheelbase (93.4"), but trust me, I am happy to drive either one interchangeably and as long as I am behind the wheel of one or the other, I don't care and both perform just fine as far as I am concerned.

Jeep has given us two choices in Wranglers (is this a great country or what?!): the JL (2 door) and the JLU (4 door), with nearly a two foot difference in wheelbases. The JL/JLU were not designed in a vacuum and, as Ape, digitalbliss, and others have suggested, Jeep likely built the JLU with a little bit of compromise because the reality is a very large percentage of JLUs will never see more off-road than a gravel trail or snow-covered path, but likely no more than the blacktop of the local mall parking lot. Jeep knows exactly what it is doing because its surveys, both formal and informal, tells it a lot about Jeep users and uses. Whether it is high-profile events like Easter Safari in Moab or SEMA, or the LA or NY car shows, or other lower profile events that Jeep attends, it is always gathering feedback. I would be shocked if you told me that the Jeep team doesn't read JP and hasn't followed these sites (JLForum, etc.) thru the JL design and production and uses the information to determine what it can "get away with" without losing its core audience. Jeep also knows that these sites are for the more hard-core Jeepers than the JKU soccer moms who have no clue we even exist. We can guess thru our a$$ how many JKU owners actually build and use off-road/trail vehicles, but if I were betting with my money, I would say it's a small percentage of total JKU buyers. And, a group that alone could not keep the doors open and the lights on in Toledo.

Yes, the JLU is more "upscale" than the JKU (and more upscale than some of us might like), but it is likely to be fine on the trail and no worse for the wear than the JKU has been. We certainly have seen our fair share of JKUs in Moab and elsewhere and I strongly suspect that in a year or less this discussion will be mostly moot. Heck, the JK has a wheelbase two (2) inches longer than the TJ and I haven't heard one person complain about that since 2007. My only hesitation in buying the JLU now is simply the unknown about its costs, colors, and options availability and, to some degree, letting the first model year bugs get corrected. I have been a Jeeper since my dad gave me an M38A1 at age 14 to drive around the hobby farm; not stopping now.

Last edited:

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Wheelbase. Once I finalize my vehicle budget and start shopping vehicles, wheelbase is the first specification I review. It will tell me a number of things about a vehicle, including how it is likely to handle, ride, and maneuver, as well as issues of weight distribution and interior space volume among other characteristics. For Jeeps, it obviously tells me a few more things related to off-road use. As we know, a short wheelbase generally gives us good cornering but poor aerodynamics and a long wheelbase gives us good stability but poor maneuverability. For the road, I generally use my JKU because I prefer a longer wheelbase (116"); for the trail, I generally use my TJ because I prefer a shorter wheelbase (93.4"). Just one of those preference things that many of us have expressed. No right or wrong answer.

Jeep has given us two choices in Wranglers: the JL (2 door) and the JLU (4 door), with nearly a two foot difference in wheelbases. The JL/JLU were not designed in a vacuum and, as Ape, digitalbliss, and others have suggested, Jeep likely built the JLU with a little bit of compromise because the reality is a very large percentage of JLUs will never see more off-road than a gravel trail or snow-covered path, but likely no more than the blacktop of the local mall parking lot. Jeep knows exactly what it is doing because its surveys, both formal and informal, tells it a lot about Jeep users and uses. Whether it is high-profile events like Easter Safari in Moab or SEMA, or the LA or NY car shows, or other lower profile events that Jeep attends, it is always gathering feedback. I would be shocked if you told me that the Jeep team doesn't read JP and hasn't followed these sites (Forum, etc.) thru the JL design and production and uses the information to determine what it can "get away with" without losing its core audience. Jeep also knows that these sites are for the more hard-core Jeepers than the JKU soccer moms who have no clue we even exist. We can guess thru our a$$ how many JKU owners actually build and use off-road/trail vehicles, but if I were betting with my money, I would say it's a small percentage of total JKU buyers. And, a group that alone could not keep the doors open and the lights on in Toledo.

Yes, the JLU is more "upscale" than the JKU (and more upscale than some of us might like), but it is likely to be fine on the trail and no worse for the wear than the JKU has been. We certainly have seen our fair share of JKUs in Moab and elsewhere and I strongly suspect that in a year or so this discussion will be mostly moot. Heck, the JK has a wheelbase two (2) inches longer than the TJ and I haven't heard one person complain about that since 2007. My only hesitation in buying the JLU now is simply the unknown about its costs, colors, and options availability and, to some degree, letting the first model year bugs get corrected. I have been a Jeeper since my dad gave me an M38A1 at age 14 to drive around the hobby farm; not stopping now.
On a side note... On Wisconsin!
Hope to see you in the play offs, Roll Tide! ;)

Sponsored

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Here is an important question I have yet to see asked...will golf clubs fit behind the back seats of a 2 door :whatsgoingon:

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
IMG_3823.JPG
On a side note... On Wisconsin!
Hope to see you in the play offs, Roll Tide! ;)
Me, too. Don't know if Wisconsin has what it takes to get there. And they still have Iowa and Michigan (& Minn) to play and our injuries are mounting. They have to run the table to even be part of the discussion.

Bucky's Jeep

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is an important question I have yet to see asked...will golf clubs fit behind the back seats of a 2 door :whatsgoingon:
Carry-bag or Cart Bag, or CartBag with wheels?

Essentially in my experience with the JK (which sees a lot of golfing at the cottage) only a medium Carry-bag will fit there and only leaning sideways, but my Ogio Carry-Bag won’t fit in the JK because it’s too thick to fit behind the top of the seats and the window when they are down in place and too long to lay flat, because the space is truncated at the ends back there. A soft top would allow you the freedom to stick out the end a bit where the seat leans back.
A CartBag would never fit IMO.

I don’t think this area in the JL has increased in space much.

Of course you can alway pair down you clubs (odd irons only) and use a travel bag, that might help. ;)

Or just fold the seat up, which is what I do... when it’s not removed altogether. But if you need that seat in it’s normal spot, it’s very limited space.
Sponsored