Vehicle Showcase

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
What's the height of the stock 4 door Rubicon in inches?
Off hand I have no idea, I am soaking in the info as it comes. That plate is from a military hummer.

I didn't have too much trouble getting my JK into my garage with a 2.5 in lift, and a Rhino Rack roof rack. However, my Ham radio antenna would just barely clear the standard garage opening. The antenna was about 3 inches taller than the rack

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The tailgate latching mechanism is quite different, is that Rocker "switch" a lock/ unlock to open from the inside ? That MilSpec tag is great !

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Well, to be honest, I think Jeep is considering the JLU to be a great offroad SUV and the 2 door JL to be the serious off roader. I know the 4 door has been the most popular since its release, but I think thats because the majority of people dont use them for hardcore offroading. I wouldnt bash Jeep too hard for their "huge fail" because I dont think it is. Now if the 2 door had these problems, I would agree...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The tailgate latching mechanism is quite different, is that Rocker "switch" a lock/ unlock to open from the inside ? That MilSpec tag is great !
No, that's a rubber rest pad to add strength to the tailgate, and keep it from rattling.

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
You have to remember the target audience for the JLU. Most of these will never even touch an unpaved road let alone a trail with rocks. I am in Phoenix and there are a ton of JKU’s with 37’s, flat fenders, bumpers and winches. Most of them have as much wax on the axles as they do on the paint.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
That's sad. Thanks for the comparison though. Hopefully passenger space will be improved this time through re-engineering the platform.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
What's the height of the stock 4 door Rubicon in inches?
This is the one measurement I really wanted to know...go figure...lol. The other is ground clearance and 11"+ would rock! Current JKR is 10". The new JLR appears to be higher and with 33's it most definitely should be. My guess JLR is 1.5" higher at 73.8" higher than the JKR 72.3".

@ Baron - What are the approach, departure break-over angles of the Cherokee and Explorer? Better than a Rubi or even Wrangler Sport?

Sponsored

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
What is the giant black thing on the inside of the tailgate door?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Well, to be honest, I think Jeep is considering the JLU to be a great offroad SUV and the 2 door JL to be the serious off roader. I know the 4 door has been the most popular since its release, but I think thats because the majority of people dont use them for hardcore offroading. I wouldnt bash Jeep too hard for their "huge fail" because I dont think it is. Now if the 2 door had these problems, I would agree...
That's not true. Go to Moab. You'll see more 4 doors than 2 doors. They both have advantages. The 2 door is much more maneuverable and has a better breakover angle. The 4 door is a better steep hill climber, and while it doesn't have the turning radius of the 2 door (nothing does), it is very good for its wheelbase.

Overall, I'd certainly give the edge to the 2 door, but it isn't as clear cut as one might think, and the hard core off roaders have embraced the 4 door. Again, go to the gnarliest places and you'll find out.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
That's not true. Go to Moab. You'll see more 4 doors than 2 doors. They both have advantages. The 2 door is much more maneuverable and has a better breakover angle. The 4 door is a better steep hill climber, and while it doesn't have the turning radius of the 2 door (nothing does), it is very good for its wheelbase.

Overall, I'd certainly give the edge to the 2 door, but it isn't as clear cut as one might think, and the hard core off roaders have embraced the 4 door. Again, go to the gnarliest places and you'll find out.
Totally agree. Watch JK videos on YouTube and you will see the majority are JKU's. I would rather give up some breakover angle than constantly worrying about flipping over backwards or sideways on a steep climb!
Sponsored