Sponsored

Official 2019 Wrangler Info Inside

GlowingGhoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, WK2 SRT
Hear, hear. Look at Suburban/Yukon - if I have to choose an SUV to crash in, that’s the one I pick! In fact, let me crash my Yukon XL into any of your unibody Japanese “SUVs” and we’ll see who fares better. :)

I hate that 1980’s quality comparisons still have legs.
I find most people who like to point to the 'Top Safety Picks" on the IIHS ignore this disclaimer: *** "Larger, heavier vehicles generally afford more protection than smaller, lighter ones. Thus, a small car that's a Top Safety Pick+ or Top Safety Pick doesn't necessarily afford more protection than a bigger car that doesn't earn the award." I have no doubt that in a Wrangler / CR-V collision, the Wrangler will suffer far less damage than the CR-V, despite it's higher safety ratings, for that very reason. Ditto for a Wrangler vs almost any car-based SUV.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Hear, hear. Look at Suburban/Yukon - if I have to choose an SUV to crash in, that’s the one I pick! In fact, let me crash my Yukon XL into any of your unibody Japanese “SUVs” and we’ll see who fares better. :)

I hate that 1980’s quality comparisons still have legs.
Your point is well taken and I generally agree, but let's also be fair about it. Suburban to RX350 is not apples to apples. You think that a Tahoe or Yukon (non-XL to be even more fair) will be much better off than a Land Cruiser in a collision? How about a Mercedes GL?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Your point is well taken and I generally agree, but let's also be fair about it. Suburban to RX350 is not apples to apples. You think that a Tahoe or Yukon (non-XL to be even more fair) will be much better off than a Land Cruiser in a collision? How about a Mercedes GL?
But I’ve always been told that size doesn’t matter!? :cwl:

My rant is really more about the antiquated notion that American vehicles suck. My last 4 vehicle purchases have been American - two Fords, a GMC, and now a Jeep. All have been problem free and of excellent quality.

I’m not implying that imports suck, either. I’ve owned many and they’re usually great. ‘Just annoyed by the “American vehicles are junk” rhetoric.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
anyone think it will be possible to add the hardware for ACC to a 2018? I really miss that about my truck that I traded in for my 18 JLUR.

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Maybe I missed this, but when are they supposedly starting to take orders for 2019's?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
They didn't put it because they haven't figured out how to do etorque right. Haven't you heard about the crispy fried 2L Turbos?

K. I. S. S. and I'll add a supercharger if I need more power and torque without turning the Jeep in to a Prius.
It’s in the new Ram.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I find most people who like to point to the 'Top Safety Picks" on the IIHS ignore this disclaimer: *** "Larger, heavier vehicles generally afford more protection than smaller, lighter ones. Thus, a small car that's a Top Safety Pick+ or Top Safety Pick doesn't necessarily afford more protection than a bigger car that doesn't earn the award." I have no doubt that in a Wrangler / CR-V collision, the Wrangler will suffer far less damage than the CR-V, despite it's higher safety ratings, for that very reason. Ditto for a Wrangler vs almost any car-based SUV.
So I totally agree that a statement "American cars don't crash well" is unfounded. Many American cars crash very well. Even in Jeep's lineup the Compass is a top safety pick.

I also agree that when you have a larger car there is more safety afforded... in most situations. If you look at the IIHS or NHTSA crashes they are crashing into an static barrier that doesn't move. So basically if you are crashing your Kia Niro or a Ford Explorer at 35mph into a static barrier I would MUCH rather be in the Kia then the Ford even though the ford is larger. Same crash. Same speed. But more likely to walk away in the Kia. Now a kia vs the explorer the kia will accept a larger portion of the hit since it's a movable object. The explorer decelerates slower while the Kia goes from 60 to -20 in an instant as it's pushed backwards.

So it's not a guarantee. Some larger cards crash very poorly. I prefer a large, heavy car that also crashes well. Body on frame matters little. Trucks aren't known for their crash prowess. The frame tends to buckle. the 2018 RAM didn't do great. The 2015 F150 comes to mind as one that did particularly poor and just crumpled the passenger compartment.

As far as the wrangler goes. I'm happy to see the safety tech making it through. It will probably never crash well due to the design so anything that can help avoid a crash is a good thing.

Sponsored

caitlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The speculation is 9/12.

Our friends have been commercal cleaning our local Jeep dealer for over 10years -so close with them. Yesterday the Sales Manager said September 19th. Hope he is wrong and is sooner.

Scott from NC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mom Van, researching our next Wrangler
Our friends have been commercal cleaning our local Jeep dealer for over 10years -so close with them. Yesterday the Sales Manager said September 19th. Hope he is wrong and is sooner.
You know how these go "target dates" are often moved around, and by moved around I of course mean moved back.
I would just like to see pricing and configuration options so I can decide if I am purchasing a 2018 or ordering a 2019.

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
That would be right up there with moving to an internal hood release and possibly getting rid of the external clamps and possibly a factory locking fuel door. :)
When I first went to the dealer for my JL, I did my research and pretty much new what to expect since it's a wrangler and also all the new nice upgrades this one has. It actually took a moment for me to believe they still have the regular exposed fuel caps anyone from the street can just walk by and open. I understand Jeep's heritage, but considering they've accepted and adopted modern features like push-to-start etc, you think this would be a pretty basic stock upgrade.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
So I totally agree that a statement "American cars don't crash well" is unfounded. Many American cars crash very well. Even in Jeep's lineup the Compass is a top safety pick.

I also agree that when you have a larger car there is more safety afforded... in most situations. If you look at the IIHS or NHTSA crashes they are crashing into an static barrier that doesn't move. So basically if you are crashing your Kia Niro or a Ford Explorer at 35mph into a static barrier I would MUCH rather be in the Kia then the Ford even though the ford is larger. Same crash. Same speed. But more likely to walk away in the Kia. Now a kia vs the explorer the kia will accept a larger portion of the hit since it's a movable object. The explorer decelerates slower while the Kia goes from 60 to -20 in an instant as it's pushed backwards.

So it's not a guarantee. Some larger cards crash very poorly. I prefer a large, heavy car that also crashes well. Body on frame matters little. Trucks aren't known for their crash prowess. The frame tends to buckle. the 2018 RAM didn't do great. The 2015 F150 comes to mind as one that did particularly poor and just crumpled the passenger compartment.

As far as the wrangler goes. I'm happy to see the safety tech making it through. It will probably never crash well due to the design so anything that can help avoid a crash is a good thing.
I agree 100%. A lot of people talk about new cars being built poorly, and they would rather have an old all steel car. A quick google on this myth of older is better would show a lot. It also translates to bigger is not always better. The design of the car, and the safety measures that are built in matter way more than weight.

Here is a link for some entertainment showing this exact scenario. Old heavier car, vs newer lighter car with more safety features. The driver is much better off in the car designed to be safe:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
When I first went to the dealer for my JL, I did my research and pretty much new what to expect since it's a wrangler and also all the new nice upgrades this one has. It actually took a moment for me to believe they still have the regular exposed fuel caps anyone from the street can just walk by and open. I understand Jeep's heritage, but considering they've accepted and adopted modern features like push-to-start etc, you think this would be a pretty basic stock upgrade.
I like the exposed gas cap. It’s ruggedish.
Sponsored