Sponsored

Official: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Specs, Info, Wallpapers...

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
The difference is that Selec-Trac let the user manually shift into 2H (Full Time), 4H (Full Time), 4H (Part Time), N, and 4L...basically any combination you could possibly want. It was the best T-case ever built. Ever.

Selec-TracII took those two 4H selections and combined them into one which was electronically controlled by the vehicle. Therefore you didn't have as much control over mode.
So, basically, when in 4H, there is no longer the ability to actually lock F&R (which is what P/T did). Since the differentials on the Sahara don't lock either, maybe it doesn't matter?
Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Makes me want to get a Manual even more - considering it's going the way of the dinosaur.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Three factors in favor of a manual --1. Cheaper; 2. less likely to be stolen; 3. less likely to be asked to be borrowed:like::like:
4. WAY MORE FUN
5. Better control over how you want to drive your vehicle
6. A novelty factor that further sets your ride apart from the masses.
7. WAY MORE FUN, did I mention that?

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
What is up with this pic??? Sub placement.

2018-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-72-1-jpg.jpg

Video from CNNMoney. They noted a canvas sunroof. Hope we get to see it tomorrow.
Yes, that's the sub placement in the 2dr. That's also where the sub is in all 2015+ JKs/JKUs. It's designed to take it.
According to the CNN Video (which I know its the best source) It shows that and says it drainage. But I'm guessing its a sub if the 2015+ models are like that.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
The half doors...Do you think those peep holes can be closed? I don’t hate them if you the can open/close. While I think they are kinda cool looking, I don’t think they add much functionality, maybe a little visibility but not in a area often used. If you can’t close them off, then they are just stupid. Also can’t wait to see what the upper half looks like.

Manual Transmisson...I want to know more about this, its a new model, is it better, stronger, more reliable? Should I be stoked or disappointed. Waiting for spec nerds to tell me what my opinion on this is as I don’t have my own yet.

Sponsored

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
So, basically, when in 4H, there is no longer the ability to actually lock F&R (which is what P/T did). Since the differentials on the Sahara don't lock either, maybe it doesn't matter?
The pic of the Sahara shows the 4H part time and 4H Full time. So did the owners manual. So i think thr Sahara had select trac 1.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
The half doors...Do you think those peep holes can be closed? I don’t hate them if you the can open/close. While I think they are kinda cool looking, I don’t think they add much functionality, maybe a little visibility but not in a area often used. If you can’t close them off, then they are just stupid. Also can’t wait to see what the upper half looks like.
I’d be shocked if those weren’t already closed with plexi or glass.

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Makes me want to get a Manual even more - considering it's going the way of the dinosaur.
If it is going the way of the dinosaur, why wouldn't the just make the automatic the standard, and do an upcharge for the manual to try to squeeze people out of it?

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
So, are the wide m220 axles gone from the Rubi or are they being renamed D44?

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
It sucks that the manual isn't offered with the turbo 4.

Oh well. Adding a turbo to the V6 seems like an adequate solution to me.

Sponsored

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
If it is going the way of the dinosaur, why wouldn't the just make the automatic the standard, and do an upcharge for the manual to try to squeeze people out of it?
Why would they do that when they can still keep the manual as the standard and upcharge everyone for the transmission that most people want/get?

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Sadly it looks like its gonna be another short guys only model :(

Big plastic projection in middle again, Drivers brains get smashed out if your head move to right. I really hope its not as close as it looks, its a game of inches though so so cant tell for 100% :/

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
They just relegate the manual to base trims and base engines to make it look like no one wants a manual transmission anymore. "Oh, you want power windows and air conditioning? Well, I'm sorry, but the manual trans simply won't fit in the vehicle with those luxuries."

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I love what they're showing us.

However, the lack of Sport pictures concerns me greatly. I get that they want to show off their coolest and greatest models, but I worry about what they've done to the Sport, and it's interior. D35 axle? Are you joking?!? It better not be like the non Rubicon TJ axle. Also, what's the price points? I'm worried that they're going to price gouge people into only Rubicons and Sahara's.
Sponsored