01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
I
Several of the Top Gear and Grand Tour season finale episodes have truly epic overland adventures. The Bolivia special is epic. They drive through the jungle of the Amazon rainforest (literally through the jungle with no roads) and over a 17,00 foot volcano to the Pacific ocean

There is also the Grand Tour with the same guys on their Columbia special with the famous bridge scene. This one has a jeep.

They also have the Namibia dune buggies that are pretty cool.

And for southwest adventures, you can also read the book _The Monkey Wrench Gang_.
miss that show
Sponsored

OP
OP

old schooler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Keep em coming :):)

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
If you can find a copy, and don't mind Land Rover culture, "First Overland" is amazing. It's the story of two teams of guys, one from Oxford and one from Cambridge, who drove two Series 1 Land Rovers from London to Singapore and back. These Rovers were 87" wheelbase, so about 10" shorter than the wheel base of a 2-dr JL, and each carried 3 people and all their gear. IIRC, the trip is 17,000 miles one way.

One of them was a filmmaker, one an economist, one a mechanical guy, etc etc. It is an amazing story, and the word epic actually applies.

OP
OP

old schooler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
If you can find a copy, and don't mind Land Rover culture, "First Overland" is amazing. It's the story of two teams of guys, one from Oxford and one from Cambridge, who drove two Series 1 Land Rovers from London to Singapore and back. These Rovers were 87" wheelbase, so about 10" shorter than the wheel base of a 2-dr JL, and each carried 3 people and all their gear. IIRC, the trip is 17,000 miles one way.

One of them was a filmmaker, one an economist, one a mechanical guy, etc etc. It is an amazing story, and the word epic actually applies.

Wow! Sounds like a movie I can enjoy. I hope I can find a copy. Thanks for the suggestion

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Anyone know a good movie about off roading or overlanding? Doesnt necessariy have to be a Jeep starring role but that would be awesome if it is..
you know I just thought about it for a bit and I came out blank , now there is an opportunity to make a buck by producing a well tailored story about a young couple lost on their first off road trip through Canyonlands , he happens to be IT kid driving new red Rubicon and he is eager to show his wild side to brand new girlfriend Suzy , equipment onboard is an
impressive array of lastest Best Buy technology and included is even Garmin locator ,CB and so on but unfortunately during a vicious nighttime flushflood they lost the entire electronic support systems and now suddenly the whole trip has changed into Capricorn One story

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
What I love about Venture4WD is just how calm and rational Chris (the host/content producer) is. There's no, "Yo, yo, yo, what up YouTube?!" He speaks in complete sentences, describing things, sharing his impressions, all with a dry sense of humor and gentle wit. He spends a few nights camping in his Ursa Minor, then drives into the nearest town for pizza or coffee. When his Jeep breaks he fixes it. When he gets where he's going he gets out and hikes to the point of interest. He follows low impact priorities and respects property boundaries.

Even my wife, who is not what you'd call "cut from this cloth," loves his channel.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I found this to be pretty amazing.
That guy did Imogene in less than two and a half hours?? That amazing. I spent that long at the big mine, social tunnel, and the top of the pass combined (not including stopping for 30 min under trees to hide from hail). Seems like doing it so quickly could take the fun out of it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Anyone know a good movie about off roading or overlanding? Doesnt necessariy have to be a Jeep starring role but that would be awesome if it is..
Mad Max.

EDIT: Was late. But the original Mad Max is very much about overlanding and worrying about gas

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
And for southwest adventures, you can also read the book _The Monkey Wrench Gang_.
I always wanted to see someone try that free-rappel-with-a-jeep he describes in that book.