DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to do my first major cross country off-roading trip with my family in early July. We're planning on driving from MI to CO and spending 3 days in the Ouray/Telluride/Silverton area hitting all the beautiful mountain passes. My question is whether anyone has a good list of things on the Jeep to check before hitting the trails? I usually do my wheeling pretty close to home so I'm not too worried but this is obviously different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to do my first major cross country off-roading trip with my family in early July. We're planning on driving from MI to CO and spending 3 days in the Ouray/Telluride/Silverton area hitting all the beautiful mountain passes. My question is whether anyone has a good list of things on the Jeep to check before hitting the trails? I usually do my wheeling pretty close to home so I'm not too worried but this is obviously different. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
How many miles are on your JL? If talking maintenance, I like to change diff and T-case fluids before a big off-road expedition. It is easy, fairly quick, and gives me a chance to get underneath and look at all the vitals closely. I also do an oil change, unless the current oil has less than a couple thousand miles on it. I also check brake fluid, coolant level, and power steering fluid. I'll change the air filter, too, before and after, especially if sucking a lot of dust on the trip. Give your tires a good lookover, too, in case you picked up a nail or something.

As for gear, man I'm just obsessive compulsive about that, so I won't get into it. I will say, though, that the best mod I've made to the Jeep for road trips has to be a refrigerator. I have a 35L SnoMaster. I never have to fuss with ice or have food that gets waterlogged. I don't leave home without that thing! In addition to what's in the fridge, I also carry a couple MRE's and extra water, just in case. Then there's the first aid kit, saw, hatchet, shovel, bear spray, Life Straw, tire plug kit, recovery kit......uh oh, there I go, Lol!

GowGow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR/2023 JLURXR
When are you planning on going? Some posts already mention some good things but I wanted to recommend you check the trail status before hand. I had a trip planned for all next week in CO but with the record snowfall it looks like a lot of passes will be closed for most of July. I had to change plans and decided on Utah instead.

Most of all just go and have fun! If you forget something go without it and if you really need it you can always buy.

OP
OP
DexterJeeper

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How many miles are on your JL? If talking maintenance, I like to change diff and T-case fluids before a big off-road expedition. It is easy, fairly quick, and gives me a chance to get underneath and look at all the vitals closely. I also do an oil change, unless the current oil has less than a couple thousand miles on it. I also check brake fluid, coolant level, and power steering fluid. I'll change the air filter, too, before and after, especially if sucking a lot of dust on the trip. Give your tires a good lookover, too, in case you picked up a nail or something.

As for gear, man I'm just obsessive compulsive about that, so I won't get into it. I will say, though, that the best mod I've made to the Jeep for road trips has to be a refrigerator. I have a 35L SnoMaster. I never have to fuss with ice or have food that gets waterlogged. I don't leave home without that thing! In addition to what's in the fridge, I also carry a couple MRE's and extra water, just in case. Then there's the first aid kit, saw, hatchet, shovel, bear spray, Life Straw, tire plug kit, recovery kit......uh oh, there I go, Lol!
I have <5000 miles so far. Good advice on checking/changing the fluids. I have a lot of the stuff on your list except for a bear spray a life straw...both great ideas! Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
DexterJeeper

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When are you planning on going? Some posts already mention some good things but I wanted to recommend you check the trail status before hand. I had a trip planned for all next week in CO but with the record snowfall it looks like a lot of passes will be closed for most of July. I had to change plans and decided on Utah instead.

Most of all just go and have fun! If you forget something go without it and if you really need it you can always buy.
We're planning on leaving on 7/5, getting there on 7/8. Like you, I've been monitoring the trail conditions. I'm getting pretty nervous since I had the whole thing planned a long time ago, hotel reservations and all. Hope some of the passes will open up after the 4th. Where are you going in Utah?

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Some good advice here. I would add taking it to the dealer before you leave and having them torque all of the suspension nut and bolts. And then do it again when you get home. My dealer highly recommends this and does it for free.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have <5000 miles so far. Good advice on checking/changing the fluids. I have a lot of the stuff on your list except for a bear spray a life straw...both great ideas! Thank you!
I bought the Lifestraw at Walmart and the Bear Spray I think I got on Amazon. The Lifestraw was only 20 bucks, so I have one in ech of my 2 Jeeps. If you lived near me or passed through, I'd let you take the bear spray. There's probably less than 1% chance you'd actually have to use it. I've told friends that if they go west or even south/east where there are black bears, they can borrow it. It has a nice glow in the dark handle and it wedges perfectly under the driver seat.

GowGow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR/2023 JLURXR
We're planning on leaving on 7/5, getting there on 7/8. Like you, I've been monitoring the trail conditions. I'm getting pretty nervous since I had the whole thing planned a long time ago, hotel reservations and all. Hope some of the passes will open up after the 4th. Where are you going in Utah?
We decided to try the UTBDR from four corners to bear lake. May swing west a bit too to check out zion np and Bryce canyon. Super excited about it and leave on Saturday

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
We decided to try the UTBDR from four corners to bear lake. May swing west a bit too to check out zion np and Bryce canyon. Super excited about it and leave on Saturday
Make sure you check out Sand Hollow off road park if you make it to Zion.

mjf4241

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Check out "Ouray County Road and Bridge" on Facebook. They keep updates on roads and passes that they have cleared and are clearing. Also check "San Miguel County Colorado Road and Bridge" for updates about passes. I'm going to Ouray in September with Jeep Jamboree and have been paying close attention to these pages. San Miguel's page says they are clearing Ophir Pass right now. The pictures show huge walls of snow pack on each side of the road. Looks like crazy amount of snow up there this year.

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
Do you already have all the offroad gear you need? I personally use a duffle bag, like the heavy duty one for carrying tools and i put all of my offroad gear in it so i can grab and go.
Sponsored