Sponsored

Off-road with a manual and hill assist

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
A (gasp) mild hybrid would be sweet with a manual for this. No clutch restarts. 100% torque from zero rpm. BOOM.
Sponsored

Gecko-JKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko JKU
in the JL manual it says this Hill Start Assist can be disabled......does anybody know if that's a one-time thing or would it have to be done every time the engine is started?

In my old Subaru Impreza it was a one-time thing, but then there was permanently an annoying orange light on my dash indicating it was disabled. Hoping that's not the case for the JL
In the JK the Hill Start Assist is a feature you can permanently turn off. I havent used mine in years. I'm assuming this is the same with the JL. It is a nice feature at times and on my JK it varies the amount of time held based on how hard you push in the brake. A light brake to just barely hold the stop usually resulted in a 1 second hold on my JK while a hard press of the brake would hold for several seconds before releasing.

Gecko-JKU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko JKU
This sounds like a Clutch-Start-Cancel type situation.....am I right about that? I've got a Tacoma MT that's got a CSC button, and it works exactly as you guys have described. I push the CSC button, clutch is up and truck's in gear, and by just turning the key she starts up and immediately begins to move. Really helpful if you're afraid of rolling back with the MT. Rather than having a CSC button, the Jeep just goes into CSC mode when in 4L? Epic

If you guys are saying what I think you're saying, I'd want to permanently disable Hill Start Assist on a JL and just use this CSC feature when I need it, no HSA required. That'd be great
The cluchless start was an automatic thing on the JK's. You didn't need to hit a specific button to do this. I haven't seen anything like that in the images for the JL interior so I imagine its the same way. That being said, I don't know how it works with the push button start on the JL.

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
The cluchless start was an automatic thing on the JK's. You didn't need to hit a specific button to do this. I haven't seen anything like that in the images for the JL interior so I imagine its the same way. That being said, I don't know how it works with the push button start on the JL.
Good call, it’ll be interesting to see if the push button start makes a difference

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think the hill start assist may eliminate the need for the clutchless start. I'll see if the clutchless start is there as soon as I can get on a dirt or grave road. I'm trying to remember, but I think I may have tried it and found it not to be there.

Sponsored

doublethebass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Tacoma Pro 6MT, waiting for an electric Jeep
I think the hill start assist may eliminate the need for the clutchless start. I'll see if the clutchless start is there as soon as I can get on a dirt or grave road. I'm trying to remember, but I think I may have tried it and found it not to be there.
keep us posted!

Dubeau9005

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2010 GMC Sierra 1500
Anyone know how to turn it off? Can’t seem to locate it in the uconnect anywhere.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Anyone know how to turn it off? Can’t seem to locate it in the uconnect anywhere.
It’s under safety in the settings.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the Texas Gulf Coast area, so first I would have to actually *find* a hill to try it on...

Well, actually, *first* I need to receive the JL that I ordered, but that will occur *eventually*...

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
This sounds like a Clutch-Start-Cancel type situation.....am I right about that? I've got a Tacoma MT that's got a CSC button, and it works exactly as you guys have described. I push the CSC button, clutch is up and truck's in gear, and by just turning the key she starts up and immediately begins to move. Really helpful if you're afraid of rolling back with the MT. Rather than having a CSC button, the Jeep just goes into CSC mode when in 4L? Epic

If you guys are saying what I think you're saying, I'd want to permanently disable Hill Start Assist on a JL and just use this CSC feature when I need it, no HSA required. That'd be great

I am wondering if there is a way to do a clutch-start-cancel on the new JL? My xterra had it and was useful a couple of times. I tried in the JL with it in 4L, engine off, foot on brake, clutch up, and hit the start button, and it just cycles through the off-acc-run options on the ignition switch.

In a way, you could get about the same results as the clutch-start-cancel by using the hill start assist, and when in a situation you would need this effect, you could make sure the hill start assist is on, and push in the clutch, start the jeep, then slowly let out clutch to get going but do it fast enough before the HSA disengages, so kind of what you were saying.

Wondering if anyone has figured out if there is a clutch-start-cancel option on the new JL?

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering if there is a way to do a clutch-start-cancel on the new JL? My xterra had it and was useful a couple of times. I tried in the JL with it in 4L, engine off, foot on brake, clutch up, and hit the start button, and it just cycles through the off-acc-run options on the ignition switch.

In a way, you could get about the same results as the clutch-start-cancel by using the hill start assist, and when in a situation you would need this effect, you could make sure the hill start assist is on, and push in the clutch, start the jeep, then slowly let out clutch to get going but do it fast enough before the HSA disengages, so kind of what you were saying.

Wondering if anyone has figured out if there is a clutch-start-cancel option on the new JL?
The issue for some of us is that they took away a capability with this new keyless start button crap. We used to be able to move the vehicle for a short distance on just the battery and starter if the vehicle would not start and now it is not possible.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, I just got back from Ca. and I haven't had a chance to try MORE different things with the 6spd tranny, but

I had one day to play, before I left Nv(jeep) and I found that--

Off-road, rolling/engine on/in gear---if you kill the engine and don't touch the pushbutton start--leave in gear and pop clutch and the engine starts/runs--but

If you're dead stop, just got in/w FOB and put tranny in NEUTRAL--try to start--NOPE, YOU'VE GOTTA DEPRESS THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY DOWN and then push button--start--run-

As I said, I haven't had any more time to CHECK THINGS OUT, but that's the way she works NOW--

I'll experiment next week and start my 'MODS"--

W.E.

JIMBO
Sponsored