First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I am headed out to Utah this summer but as I travel out I-80 through Wyoming, I want to drive an off-road trail or two. Anyone experience any good (not too technical) trails close to I-80 in Southern Wyoming?

Thanks
Sponsored

Steve Jennings

First Name
Not Now
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.neveragain.com
Vehicle(s)
Red Scooter
Occupation
Trust Funder
I am headed out to Utah this summer but as I travel out I-80 through Wyoming, I want to drive an off-road trail or two. Anyone experience any good (not too technical) trails close to I-80 in Southern Wyoming?

Thanks
Monument Ridge BoH Trail . Easy due to Forest service improvements and the view is spectacular. Try to find the white buffalo ranch just south of the trail start.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
The Monument Ridge trailhead is approx. 145 miles North of I-80 at Rock Springs. Go North on Hwy 191 to Bondurant. It's not exactly close but, as @Steve Jennings the views are spectacular.

There is a trail very close to I-80 at Green River, just West of Rock Springs, called Pilot Butte.

Pilot Butte
  • Accessible By
    Overland, High Clearance 4x4, SxS, ATV, Dirt Bike
  • Trail Length (mi)
  • Open Dates
    01/01-12/31
  • Managed By
    Bureau of Land Management

Lat/Long 41.63274, -109.30801

Idmt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JLURD, now JLUR
Not off road trails, but if you venture a bit north to Guernsey, there is a National Park Service has a rather obscure spot just on the south side of town that is quite interesting. Its a spot where the Oregon Trail passed through that was over some relatively soft sandstone and the ruts left by the wagons and the horses pulling them have left impressively deep ruts.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
The Monument Ridge trailhead is approx. 145 miles North of I-80 at Rock Springs. Go North on Hwy 191 to Bondurant. It's not exactly close but, as @Steve Jennings the views are spectacular.

There is a trail very close to I-80 at Green River, just West of Rock Springs, called Pilot Butte.

Pilot Butte
  • Accessible By
    Overland, High Clearance 4x4, SxS, ATV, Dirt Bike
  • Trail Length (mi)
  • Open Dates
    01/01-12/31
  • Managed By
    Bureau of Land Management

Lat/Long 41.63274, -109.30801
So does a stock Rubicon count as high clearance 4x4? Or do you need a modified 4x4?
Thanks

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
So does a stock Rubicon count as high clearance 4x4? Or do you need a modified 4x4?
Thanks
When I see recommendations like that, think of them in the context of all motor vehicles. In that sense, a Rubi is absolutely a high clearance 4x4. The only time I ever question my vehicles ability is when the signs start saying things like “heavily modified” 4x4s and certain risk of damage.

You might want to check out Chris Schontz’s “Venture 4wd” you tube channel. He recently spent time in Wyoming and visited some areas that made me really want to drive up myself.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Thanks
A stock Rubi counts as a high clearance 4X4. So did my Willys in stock form.

When I see recommendations like that, think of them in the context of all motor vehicles. In that sense, a Rubi is absolutely a high clearance 4x4. The only time I ever question my vehicles ability is when the signs start saying things like “heavily modified” 4x4s and certain risk of damage.

You might want to check out Chris Schontz’s “Venture 4wd” you tube channel. He recently spent time in Wyoming and visited some areas that made me really want to drive up myself.
Exactly and that is one of the considerations given when describing the difficulty of a trail.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
The Trans America Trail goes through Wyoming. This would need to be done in summertime, but the section of the trail that crosses the Teton's is beautiful, and can be done easily in a stock Gladiator Mojave.