Sponsored

off road plus

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I cant seem to find out exactly what this button does. I searched the forums. I also looked in the manual. Google came up empty too. I have read that it somehow changes the geering to help drive in sand. But what exactly does it do. When can I use it 2hi 4hi 4low? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
From Owners Manual Page 114

Off Road+ Display — If Equipped
When the Off Road+ button is pushed in the switch bank, the Instrument Cluster Display will begin to show messages related to the feature. Depending on the Four Wheel Drive mode in use, the messages will differ, and after five seconds, all messages will clear from the display.
The messages are as follows:
 2H: Off Road+ Unavailable, Shift to 4WD
 4H: 4WD High Off Road+ Active
 4L: 4WD Low Off Road+ Active

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Speed Control are not available when using Off Road+. If either option is selected, a dedicated message will display indicating that the features are not usable concurrently.
Messages are as follows:
 4H: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in Off Road+
 4H: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in Off Road+
 4L: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in 4WD Low
 4L: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in 4WD Low

NOTE: The behavior of Electronic Stability Control while in Off Road+ varies depending on the 4WD status. If the vehicle is in 4H, Traction Control is automatically turned off. Also, holding the ESC Off button for five seconds will turn off ESC. In 4L, Electronic Stability Control automatically shuts off regardless of the Off Road Status.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think its like a offroad cruise...can set to like 0.6mph and it does what it needs (brake/gas) to maintain. I could be wrong have not tried it

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Owners Manual Page 114

Off Road+ Display — If Equipped
When the Off Road+ button is pushed in the switch bank, the Instrument Cluster Display will begin to show messages related to the feature. Depending on the Four Wheel Drive mode in use, the messages will differ, and after five seconds, all messages will clear from the display.
The messages are as follows:
 2H: Off Road+ Unavailable, Shift to 4WD
 4H: 4WD High Off Road+ Active
 4L: 4WD Low Off Road+ Active

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Speed Control are not available when using Off Road+. If either option is selected, a dedicated message will display indicating that the features are not usable concurrently.
Messages are as follows:
 4H: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in Off Road+
 4H: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in Off Road+
 4L: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in 4WD Low
 4L: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in 4WD Low

NOTE: The behavior of Electronic Stability Control while in Off Road+ varies depending on the 4WD status. If the vehicle is in 4H, Traction Control is automatically turned off. Also, holding the ESC Off button for five seconds will turn off ESC. In 4L, Electronic Stability Control automatically shuts off regardless of the Off Road Status.
So yea, like I said. The manual doesn't tell you exactly what it does. Thanks for the effort but not really an answer.

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
So yea, like I said. The manual doesn't tell you exactly what it does. Thanks for the effort but not really an answer.
I interpret it as only displaying "off Raod" information. Not sure what that is either. Don't think it's cruise control though which is Hill Descent.

EDIT: Oops missed the part where you read the manual. My bad. I also tried it in my driveway as well and noticed it turned off the ESC and displayed the off road pages on the screen. Gotta be more to it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
My impression is that it changes throttle response, possibly shift points and brings up off road pages on the uconnect. Not sure if there are other features that Im not aware of, I know at one point it was mentioned allowing rear diff lock, front open in 4 high, but im not sure where that stands. I tried mine out in my driveway and the throttle response was immediately noticeable, I forgot to check the diff lock status, will try tomorrow.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
INFO FROM: https://www.jeep.com/gladiator/capability.html

ADVANCED CAPABILITY WITH OFF-ROAD+

Fine-tune your adventure with Off-Road+. With a push of the button, you can adjust throttle, transmission shift points and traction control for peak performance on higher speed passes on sand dunes or low-speed rock crawling.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
In short, it allows more wheelspin. If you want to sling mud, or get some wheel speed to launch over a rock ledge, it will allow this vs. the traction control applying the brakes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
361Sean

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone! I feel like we are getting to the bottom of this.

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
It lessens the effect of the BLD, allows more wheel spin without the ABS effecting the faster spinning wheel.Using this along with disengaging the Stability control system... the button with the jeep and squiggly lines (there are two levels of disengagement read your manual )

Mostly it helps in deep snow , loose,soft sand and muddy situations allowing you to keep more momentum which the BLD inhibits.

Read the manual, and go out and try combo's to learn it. Jeep truly gives you the most when it come to 4WD systems. Go to the Rubicon level which adds lockers and you have pretty much the best 4WD system out there.

My only complaint is from the factory, the lockers can only be engaged in 4LO but with a TaZer JL Mini you unlock this to allow locking the rear lockers in 2HI and both the rear and the front and rear lockers in 4HI

The online manual is long ( like almost 700 pages) but it does explain things, you just have to look for it.

Writing a tech manual is one of the hardest things anyone can do. tech writers have the job of explaining the workings of something in the least amount of words yet getting the point across. Most are pretty good, you on the other hand have to become better at interpreting tech writing.

Google and U-tube are your friends here.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think its like a offroad cruise...can set to like 0.6mph and it does what it needs (brake/gas) to maintain. I could be wrong have not tried it
Wrong button.

In low range, Off-Road Plus adjusts the shift strategy to favor slow-speed drivability and provides enhanced brake lock differential (BLD) control to maximize traction in slow-speed rockcrawling. In 4-Hi, the trans calibration maximizes the powerband for more responsiveness, while ESC has a lower threshold for traction control intervention to enable wheel slip at speed and the ability to drift through loose terrain, such as sand. In addition, drivers can hold down the traction control button for 5 seconds in Off-Road Plus and eliminate the ESC intervention altogether. We imagine this little nanny-defeating nugget should trickle over to the JL within the next couple of model years.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
While off-roading in 4WH or 4WL, I have been happiest with the power delivery when I have "off road plus" selected and I have held that traction control button down for 8 seconds and every nanny is turned off. Then, the tires will behave and spin like you expect.
Sponsored