Sponsored

Off road pages are (now) tied to Sirius subscription?!?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Industry wide problem. You can blame Tesla for normalizing it, but realistically, a lot of industries are doing it right now. Weā€™re dealing with it with our IT folks. Very few companies want to sell perpetual licenses anymore. Everything is one month, one year subscriptions.

Stellantis specifically has outlined it as part of their product plans.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/03/s...by-2030-generating-up-to-4-4-billion-revenue/

Iā€™m sure they are going to come up with something and call it ā€˜Jeep Wave Plusā€™ or ā€˜Trail Rated Platinumā€™ or some other nonsense.

Strategically, the goal is to generate continuous revenue, and lock-in customers. Take iPhones - donā€™t want to change to an android and have to replace (or have a worse experience with) the HomePod, the Apple headsets, the watch, the Bose speaker with the Apple specific groove, etcā€¦

Also, blame those damn kids. Each subsequent generation is more accepting subscription services, because frankly, they use them. Disney Plus, DoorDash Plus, Hello Fresh, Chewy, Amazon Prime, etcā€¦

Jeep Wrangler JL Off road pages are (now) tied to Sirius subscription?!? 61e5db4d2446eec4a7dd27926bd9ae62

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Subscriptions aren't anything new. They can be advantageous, too, particularly when recurring purchases of consumables provide material savings vs. a la carte purchasing. Lord knows I've saved $$ with Chewy when periodically ordering cat litter.

What I object to is the insidious use of subscription-based pricing models to redirect and/or functionally erase consumer choice. One exemplar of such corporate behavior is the loss of hardcopy service manuals for our Wranglers. We're now compelled to open our wallets for expiring access to discrete portions of data delivered on a screen and not provided in print. My Haynes manuals don't require an internet connection.

The occasionally heard excuse that "increased complexity of modern vehicles points to reduced DIY repair trends" is so much nonsense. The average dealership technician hasn't ever given the impression of being an intellectual whiz kid. If such folks can be trusted with a wrench, than so can this private owner.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
And what did you bring to the table. I for one am knowledgeable enough on this to know that XM and ORP are not impacted by each other..
You should look up the word facetious. You were the one that pointed out the facts immediately, but the conversation kept going. I was pointing out, through the use of humor, the absurdity of not accepting your answer, pointing out the appropriateness of your response, giving you kudos...oh never mind. If you have to explain it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
davewald

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
You should look up the word facetious. You were the one that pointed out the facts immediately, but the conversation kept going. I was pointing out, through the use of humor, the absurdity of not accepting your answer, pointing out the appropriateness of your response, giving you kudos...oh never mind. If you have to explain it.
Shouldā€™ve included a screen shotā€¦

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Guess I'm a tad gun shy, thanks to a couple of forum asshat's...... and as a result, I incorrectly, took your post the wrong way.. Sorry about that..

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Saved a copy of the advertised 'standard features' for my model from the Jeep.com website, just in case they ever decided to take my "Off-Road Info Pages" or "GPS Navigation" away with an update.

They may or may not ever make shit more subscription-based in the future, like everyone else is trying, but pulling an advertised feature at time of sale should be illegal.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have been retired for 5 years. On my desktop PC, I use Microsoft Office 2010. I would love to upgrade to a recent edition but I refuse to buy a subscription.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I have been retired for 5 years. On my desktop PC, I use Microsoft Office 2010. I would love to upgrade to a recent edition but I refuse to buy a subscription.
End of support for MS Office 2010 ended on 10.13.2020. Wonā€™t be long before you are forced to upgrade. šŸ˜

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
On my desktop PC, I use Microsoft Office 2010. I would love to upgrade to a recent edition but I refuse to buy a subscription.
An MS Office download can be purchased outright, if you prefer not to use the subscription model. I recently did just that when the one year trial on my laptop expired.

Yes, once support for your particular version is withdrawn by the Mothership, it may only be a matter of time until the software functioning stops, or slows to a point that renders it virtually unusable. Voice of experience here.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
An MS Office download can be purchased outright, if you prefer not to use the subscription model. I recently did just that when the one year trial on my laptop expired.

Yes, once support for your particular version is withdrawn by the Mothership, it may only be a matter of time until the software functioning stops, or slows to a point that renders it virtually unusable. Voice of experience here.
Office '97 is over a quarter of a century old and still works perfectly fine on even a modern OS (not including the help files). You can still type the exact same letters into Word and create spreadsheets in Excel with the same numbers and formulas your grandpa used!

Heck, I'd even argue that the older and lighter applications are faster to load and quicker/simpler to use without their newest UI "upgrades".

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin