Sponsored

Off road pages are (now) tied to Sirius subscription?!?

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Was just browsing the Mopar site for my JLR looking at the Sirius subscription options. When I clicked on my current subscription and looked at the details of what is covered in my base subscription, I noticed that Off Road Pages are listed as one of the services. See the picture. I assume this means that if I decide to stop paying the subscription fees that my Off Road Pages will stop working. WTF?!? I know that other manufacturers like BMW are toying with the idea of disabling functions in vehicles if you don't keep paying them for the vehicle that you already paid for, but didn't know that FCA/Stellantis had already sunk to that low. Has it always been this way, or is this some new level of evil?

Evil.jpg
On my '22, I let both Sirius subs expire (sat radio after 6 months, the uconnect app thing after 12 months). I still have Off Road Pages.
Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I always wondered if you can make the jeep go off grid... Sounds like you may not.

You will own nothing and you will be happy. It seems to be the growing motto.
We just need a couple of smart young hackers to make this happen... lol

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering Off Road Pages were removed, then put back, with OTA updates, I would think it could be possible.
When were they removed? I got my '22 last Feb (2022) and I swear the Off-Road Pages only came up when in "Off-Road +" mode. But I looked at my app screen the other day while killing time in line at the car wash, and Off-Road Pages were there. I clearly wasn't in OR+ mode. Was just in 2wd daily driver operation.

But I never did any OTA and don't recall seeing any messages saying that an OTA had been done, but maybe it was and I just didn't notice. Anyway, maybe I'm just crazy.

vanzano

First Name
Bob Lazar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
Unfortunately, it would not make a difference.
The cell units are also used for things like eCall. This means that while they usually use the external antennas, they also have a backup antenna. This is triggered automatically when the port detects that a 50 ohm connection is no longer there, as would happen in a roll over event.
You cannot even remove the SIM card, since they use an eSIM now. That same chip is also generally used for application layer processing as well, so you cannot just unplug it and still have your infotainment function at all.
Most car companies are trying to force us into a subscription model with respect to "normal" features and this will only increase.
Hell, BMW wants you to pay 15 bucks a month to use your heated steering wheel. Ford is trying the same.
Sadly, the ever expanding "you don't own what you buy" business model keeps trying to push its head into all areas of consumer goods.
You are wrong on this part here. Just did it a while ago for a friend and also have performed this before on my 2021 jeep. Stelantis in their infinite greed used an off the shelf part for the modem on those units. So it's as simple as popping a few connectors and closing the head unit together.

Anyone can open the head unit and remove the modem completely. For sure you'll lose GPS while doing that, but who cares ? Android auto/Carplay are better as GPS anyway.

Doing so and removing the modem from the head unit indeed make your jeep completely offline and stop being a "free telemetry" endpoint for stellantis. Also stops those shit calls from dealers creeping on you and telling your precise km for an oil change.

Another bonus point: No errors or dash lights for doing this process.

I removed this piece of sh** from my Jeep when bought it and tried to enable the modem, they wanted to charge me a penny for using it. So I decided to investigate and realized that it was already online and sending data back home.

So at that point I decided I won't be giving away free telemetry/being tracked and not getting anything back for it. Also I hate the idea of "someone" having internet access to my vehicle.

For reference some photos of what it looks like to remove it, photos from when I removed mine back in 2021:

Jeep Wrangler JL Off road pages are (now) tied to Sirius subscription?!? headunit_opened

vanzano

First Name
Bob Lazar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
I always wondered if you can make the jeep go off grid... Sounds like you may not.

You will own nothing and you will be happy. It seems to be the growing motto.
Nope, you can, check thy post above.

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Was just browsing the Mopar site for my JLR looking at the Sirius subscription options. When I clicked on my current subscription and looked at the details of what is covered in my base subscription, I noticed that Off Road Pages are listed as one of the services. See the picture. I assume this means that if I decide to stop paying the subscription fees that my Off Road Pages will stop working. WTF?!? I know that other manufacturers like BMW are toying with the idea of disabling functions in vehicles if you don't keep paying them for the vehicle that you already paid for, but didn't know that FCA/Stellantis had already sunk to that low. Has it always been this way, or is this some new level of evil?

Jeep Wrangler JL Off road pages are (now) tied to Sirius subscription?!? headunit_opened
If they ever did this, I would not buy Jeep every again.

The subscription concept is such BS. You pay for the functionality then have to pay again monthly to use the feature (saw this on a video about Mercedes doing this on electric vehicles, you have to pay a monthly fee to unlock the maximum performance). No thank you.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...removing the modem from the head unit indeed make your jeep completely offline and stop being a "free telemetry" endpoint for stellantis.

For reference some photos of what it looks like to remove it, photos from when I removed mine back in 2021:

Which Uconnect head units have the modem that you've removed? I'd wager just the 7" and 8.4" units?

I ask because I've the Uconnect 3 in my JLU, which is rather basic in terms of functionality.

vanzano

First Name
Bob Lazar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
Which Uconnect head units have the modem that you've removed? I'd wager just the 7" and 8.4" units?

I ask because I've the Uconnect 3 in my JLU, which is rather basic in terms of functionality.
8.4, I don't believe basic head units have that. If you can see the 4g icon in your head unit up to middle of 2022, you have it just like mine. After that, and again I have not seen this on Jeep head units yet, they started to include a separate telemetry module. This can be found already on RAMS

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Fact:
Having Off Road Pages (ORP) on a JL/JT is not... again not, impacted by whether you do or do not have an XM subscription.
Good lord, someone using facts on the Internet. If facts were at all relevant to any discussion, the whole of the Internet could be summed up in about an hour of reading. Please, for the love of online conjecture, keep the facts to yourself.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Good lord, someone using facts on the Internet. If facts were at all relevant to any discussion, the whole of the Internet could be summed up in about an hour of reading. Please, for the love of online conjecture, keep the facts to yourself.
And what did you bring to the table. I for one am knowledgeable enough on this to know that XM and ORP are not impacted by each other..

Sponsored

OP
OP
davewald

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
And what did you bring to the table. I for one am knowledgeable enough on this to know that XM and ORP are not impacted by each other..
Yeah. At least I brought a screen shot. ;)

ArcadeTracks

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Rubicon. 2dr Soft Top. 2.0L Turbo, Auto, Stock
Could it be linked to/confused with this? https://www.onxmaps.com/offroad/app/features/jeep-partnership
"Active Jeep Wave members get a free 6-month subscription to onX Offroad Elite Activate onX Offroad Now The Industry's Leading Off-Road Navigation App onX Offroad's GPS mapping technology is built for off-roaders, by off-roaders. Explore 550,000 miles of trails and 500,000 recreation points including campsites, trailheads, and fuel stations."

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
On a side note, I still get Sirius/XM emails and stuff about "great offers" in my mailbox for my GC that I'd let the trial run out on years before and traded in for my Wrangler and am now getting stuff for my Wrangler since it's about to hit the 6 month mark (geez where'd the time go??)

So yay, double the spam and stuff to shred...oh yeah and Mopar warranty mailers.

I swear I get more junk from FCA/Stellantiswhatever whenever I buy something from their lineup than any other make I've bought in the past 10-15 yrs.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
Stellantis may be using ā€œalternateā€œ facts now that they own the brand. I guess weā€™ll see when I stop paying for Sirius.
I recently quit SXM. Iā€™ll have to check if I have offroad pages tonight.

vanzano

First Name
Bob Lazar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Willys
@JeepCares can you shine some light on the screenshot provided on the first post ?

I mean, it's a fact that information is on the website. If it is a mistake or something that is planned is yet to be determined.
Sponsored