Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
What did you use to weld the parts together? I have one of those 110v harbor freight welders and pretty much zero experience. I was wondering if one of those would cut it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What did you use to weld the parts together? I have one of those 110v harbor freight welders and pretty much zero experience. I was wondering if one of those would cut it.
I used a Lincoln Weldpak 110 flux core welder that I borrowed from a friend. You’ll need to check your specifications on the welder and make sure it can handle the thickness of your material. Welding isn’t terribly difficult to get a decent proficiency with, but it can definitely be dangerous: both when performing the task and also the results of a failed weld on something like a trailer frame. Make sure you are confident in your skill to lay strong beads. Good luck with learning a new trade.

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door
I've got $2,800 in the material/parts on this project. That obviously does not include any labor. When I sell something like this/ask for permission, I don't figure my time as money but my wife and kids would say otherwise. My 6-year-old just recently said, "You're done [with the trailer] !? Now you can go fishing with me!" ... man, that one hurt. Time to throw all our junk in here and go fishing!

View attachment 467752
Can only imagine the memories fishing and camping that will make that kiddo forget. I have 0 doubt you are an involved daddo. Looks great sir!

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I've got $2,800 in the material/parts on this project. That obviously does not include any labor. When I sell something like this/ask for permission, I don't figure my time as money but my wife and kids would say otherwise. My 6-year-old just recently said, "You're done [with the trailer] !? Now you can go fishing with me!" ... man, that one hurt. Time to throw all our junk in here and go fishing!

View attachment 467752
Very meticulous breakdown, great job! Like mentioned above, I'm sure the kids are going to have years and years of incredible memories with their folks in the ol' "Quarter-Wide." What an awesome family project!

OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Today we added a 20”x30” sliding window w/ screen to the passenger side. Still need to finish the interior trim and paint. I mounted the window towards the rear in hopes of getting a good cross breeze from the screen door.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 9A49A4A6-207B-4CF4-ABBE-ED5D66381D95

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 9C3270B9-0A25-402D-8834-CA2D8C19EE9E

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame FAFBC3B9-1265-4233-A01E-0D5187AE2F02

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame CC977FC4-2DD5-4DB4-9C24-78AED1909D24

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame D90C0CBA-C479-4DD5-89EB-651F2A32770F

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame A4BB37A3-1746-406D-98B4-064731D41C07

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 5DA5FE9C-090E-4EC3-A788-C21F846C5CB2

Sponsored

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
Wow! I’m super impressed with your skills. Your knowledge of materials and technical skill proficiency is outstanding. I can’t help but think you are in engineering?

OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow! I’m super impressed with your skills. Your knowledge of materials and technical skill proficiency is outstanding. I can’t help but think you are in engineering?
Thanks for the kind words!

I went to school for history and geography but now I work for a restoration/general contractor so that's where I gained the majority of my experience. My cousin had a body shop that I worked at in high school and that's where I learned to weld and where I started tearing up perfectly good Jeeps 15 years ago.

OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 98192CA0-1421-4498-A1E2-876659813216

Finished the window mod for the guest bedroom. (I actually really enjoyed the rooftop tent on the trial run so I’m calling it the master.) We pulled one of the kid’s 8” foam mattresses from the bunk beds to use on this next trip. I think we could do with a 3” or 4” version to save some head room. Potentially a folding twin size. More to come there.
Also digging the overplayed quote on the pillow, but have to give a shout-out to J.R.R. Tolkien and Aragorn for the good vibes. I just recently finished reading (listening to the audiobook) of The Lord of the Rings for the first time after being a big fan of the movies for years.

OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The trailer did great following us around North Georgia and SC this weekend. A couple of takeaways: we need stabilizers at the corners of the trailer because the folks in the rooftop tent feel every movement from the folks sleeping in the trailer and vice versa. These springs are soft and I’m running 12 PSI in the tires so getting the trailer on jacks and off the suspension should help with that.

Also, the Jeep did good towing the trailer around the mountains all things considered. I had no intentions to regear the axles with the 37s, 3.6L/auto and factory 4.10s but it’s definitely noticeable now with a trailer in tow. Those mountain roads would have been more pleasant with lower gears. Still, it was never scary or unsafe, just a good bit of downshifting. No overheating issues either. Still wanna put this thing on the scales. We got 14.5 MPG and that was with a lot of climbs in the mountains. With no trailer, we typically get 17with 4.10s and 37s.

1ABAC03E-6E0D-4762-A1A4-93F46E9C054A.jpeg

DE3B0F11-8253-430C-A3F4-62C444884246.jpeg

C82B3664-D22C-4D95-83CC-0AD6F71ECA31.jpeg

0DD1B1A7-931E-4DC5-B3B6-4DB2E7F57865.jpeg

DAE599FE-AFB1-43F7-98DC-251534F2B6BF.jpeg

1666512A-6ECD-4DCB-BAB9-1C002DF36564.jpeg

5E2D4D6D-AD6A-4A62-A117-B0A2C905B21B.jpeg

597A3BF1-AE1A-48A0-A99E-4DAFA1B195EC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got to give a little shout out for the Air Lift 1000 rear air springs that I installed on the Jeep
earlier this year. I have had issues with rear squat before ever getting into a trailer with bike racks or even long camping trips when the rear of the Jeep is packed out. So I knew getting into this trailer that I would want a remedy for the squat. I read some good reviews on the Air Lift 1000 kit for the JL and (after a few of them highlighted no issues after heavy off-road use) I decided why not try it out. I got it for less than $80 with a coupon so figured I would just toss it if I wasn’t happy with it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/air-lift-1000-air-spring-rear-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-2021/p/AIR60829/

So far I am very happy with it. Easy to install, it remedies the squat when towing (at least handles my little trailer no problem) and it fixes my OCD tendencies when it comes to the forward/rear rake of the Jeep itself for normal driving. I have the Schrader valve in the rear bumper next to the license plate. If I’m ever looking at the Jeep and think “the rear end’s a little high”. I just walk by and let a little air out of the system. If I’ve got a load in the back and she’s sagging I just grab a bike pump and throw a couple extra PSI in there to level it back out. It’s extremely satisfying for such little money 😂.

So for any of you guys with trailers, or rear sag, I would recommend it. It also comes with two valves and enough house/clamps if you wanted to have a separate valve for each side if you wanted that flexibility, but I chose to keep it simple. I don’t have a significant passenger or driver lean that I was looking to remedy.

Time will tell if they hold up. But so far I have gotten $80 of satisfaction from them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 87DBA246-EAC0-413E-B904-36C21F40C402

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 9B4B3BD5-1C20-40C7-BF07-3619630280E6

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pete_the_JEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I’ve got to give a little shout out for the Air Lift 1000 rear air springs that I installed on the Jeep
earlier this year. I have had issues with rear squat before ever getting into a trailer with bike racks or even long camping trips when the rear of the Jeep is packed out. So I knew getting into this trailer that I would want a remedy for the squat. I read some good reviews on the Air Lift 1000 kit for the JL and (after a few of them highlighted no issues after heavy off-road use) I decided why not try it out. I got it for less than $80 with a coupon so figured I would just toss it if I wasn’t happy with it.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/air-lift-1000-air-spring-rear-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl-2018-2021/p/AIR60829/

So far I am very happy with it. Easy to install, it remedies the squat when towing (at least handles my little trailer no problem) and it fixes my OCD tendencies when it comes to the forward/rear rake of the Jeep itself for normal driving. I have the Schrader valve in the rear bumper next to the license plate. If I’m ever looking at the Jeep and think “the rear end’s a little high”. I just walk by and let a little air out of the system. If I’ve got a load in the back and she’s sagging I just grab a bike pump and throw a couple extra pounds in there to leave it back out. It’s extremely satisfying for such little money 😂.

So for any of you guys with trailers, or rear sag, I would recommend it. It also comes with two valves and enough house/clamps if you wanted to have a separate valve for each side if you wanted that flexibility, but I chose to keep it simple. I don’t have a significant passenger or driver lean that I was looking to remedy.

Time will tell if they hold up. But so far I have gotten $80 of satisfaction from them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-road Camper “Quarter Wide” Trailer Build Using Harbor Freight Frame 9B4B3BD5-1C20-40C7-BF07-3619630280E6

Very nice work on the trailer!! It turned out great. 👍
This last post caught my eye. I have a JL and I'm planning on towing our 59 Shasta 16ft camper with it. The trailer weighs about 1800# dry and I do notice a little sag in the rear of the Jeep.. Since it's fairly light and has trailer brakes, I wasn't planning on running any anti-sway bars, but thought about adding the airlift bags to help level it out. Looks like that might be the way to go.

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
this is so frickin' cool! congrats, my man! Awesome work.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!

So far I am very happy with it. Easy to install, it remedies the squat when towing (at least handles my little trailer no problem) and it fixes my OCD tendencies when it comes to the forward/rear rake of the Jeep itself for normal driving. I have the Schrader valve in the rear bumper next to the license plate. If I’m ever looking at the Jeep and think “the rear end’s a little high”. I just walk by and let a little air out of the system. If I’ve got a load in the back and she’s sagging I just grab a bike pump and throw a couple extra pounds in there to leave it back out. It’s extremely satisfying for such little money 😂.

87DBA246-EAC0-413E-B904-36C21F40C402.jpeg

9B4B3BD5-1C20-40C7-BF07-3619630280E6.jpeg
If my wife could fix her rear end sag for $80......

Just a JOKE!!!! She has a great backside :)

OP
OP
Will

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I added some cheap mud flaps to the trailer.

But the best mod so far was picking up a black stone grill. Man this thing is nice! You can cook anything on it: bacon and eggs for breakfast, burgers for dinner. I was very happy with it on it’s first outing. I am going to work on a storage solution to mount it on the trailer; either a slide out or I’m thinking of purchasing an underbody truck box to mount to the side of the trailer wall that flips down: 🤷‍♂️. We will see. Trying not to break the bank here but that rarely works out when Jeeping or camping are concerned.

217E9C45-8B52-4DA0-903C-BE805E51E8C1.jpeg

4B6ECF96-0FA5-4AFE-9544-883CFA3E52C8.jpeg

3A44AAA8-D890-4CA7-98F8-33F991E64052.jpeg

5BDA120C-AA03-4B8A-BF57-C489C6EF5A2C.png

DVJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 4door
Love the build, awesome job! Thinking of doing something similar, this is great inspiration.
Sponsored