Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Stock Rubicon good for trails like that? Thanks!
Well, I haven’t been there yet. I’ll be going tomorrow after I check a couple properties I’m thinkin’ of buying. However, TrailsOffroad rates it a 3-4 out of 10 in difficulty. I think a Stock Rubi should be fine. I’m in a 3.5” lifted Sport S with 35s and i’ve done trails rated as high as a 6.

Check it out and have fun.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/389-mosquito-pass
Sponsored

Slopeside

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Did Argetine Pass outside of Georgetown last weekend which is an easy trail with only two obstacles that require attention to tire placement for a stock vehicle and a stretch of shelf road but you're rewarded with some awesome views.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/203-argentine-pass

AP-2.jpg

AP-3.jpg

AP-4.jpg

AP-5.jpg

AP-7.jpg

AP-9.jpg

Jshwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal JL Rubicon
This is just the type of thread I was looking for. Just moved to Denver last month and have a stock Rubicon. Have been itching to get it on some real trails since I came from Houston. Trailsoffroad looks like a great resource. For the trails mentioned in this thread so far would I be ok without a winch? I do have some recovery straps but hope to avoid having to use anything like that. Also, are you guys airing down for most of these trails?

Working on my in car maps set up. I have GPS but don't think I want to rely on that. Maybe a iPad and Gaia but figuring that out.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I would say just about all of CO's high mountain passes are doable in a stock Rubi.
I have done, Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir, Engineer, Webster, Red Cone, Cinnamon, Holy Cross and The Alpine loop. I think you can do all of them with a stock Rubicon. Holy Cross you will not be able to do the whole trail, but you can run from the entrance to Creek but expect to be on the rock sliders and skid places. I do not think you should go past the creek and maybe a good place to get off the trail is at the T just before the first real big obstacle.

Note I saw a two wheel drive truck on top of Engineer and Cinnamon pass.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Working on my in car maps set up. I have GPS but don't think I want to rely on that. Maybe a iPad and Gaia but figuring that out.
I'm using Gaia with an Iphone and Apple Car play. I plan the routes on my tablet and they sync to the wife's phone. It's really nice not having to worry about mounting and keeping up with a tablet.

Later,
Johnny

Sponsored

MoDonPunkn4Dr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Cherokee Trail Hawk Mango Tango, 2017 H-D CVO Street Glide Blk/Org, 2018 Punk'n Rubicon
I have done, Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir, Engineer, Webster, Red Cone, Cinnamon, Holy Cross and The Alpine loop. I think you can do all of them with a stock Rubicon. Holy Cross you will not be able to do the whole trail, but you can run from the entrance to Creek but expect to be on the rock sliders and skid places. I do not think you should go past the creek and maybe a good place to get off the trail is at the T just before the first real big obstacle.

Note I saw a two wheel drive truck on top of Engineer and Cinnamon pass.
This is great info and great timing. I am headed out to Colorado soon. Was wondering about Black Bear in our 2018 stock Rubi. I am also heading to White Rim Road in Canyonlands. Any experience there? We don't have a tone of experience, Some Sedona and backwoods "log roads" and an off road park Rush Springs Ranch in Missouri (first time off pavement)

Thanks,
Don

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
This is great info and great timing. I am headed out to Colorado soon. Was wondering about Black Bear in our 2018 stock Rubi. I am also heading to White Rim Road in Canyonlands. Any experience there? We don't have a tone of experience, Some Sedona and backwoods "log roads" and an off road park Rush Springs Ranch in Missouri (first time off pavement)

Thanks,
Don
I would say that you will not have a problem with a stock Rubi. Just know that there is no room for error in many places on Black Bear Pass. Also if hights bother you..... Just know that there is a lot of heights involved. I thought Black Bear Pass was easy, and that if it was not for the heights, and the dam near zero room for error, it would be an easy trail. It is beautiful, so just make sure that you pay attention and stop to take photos if you are the driver.

I will be in Moab in about two weeks, White Rim Road in Canyonlands is on my list as a trail to run if we get all the badge trails done before we have to leave.

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

Thanks,
Don
We did Black Bear in a stock 2017 JKUR last year without any issues.

Black Bear is not open yet for the season, did Imogene and Ophir this weekend and is in great condition.

Krazyer

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Built!
I will be in Moab in about two weeks, White Rim Road in Canyonlands is on my list as a trail to run if we get all the badge trails done before we have to leave.
What are your dates? We are planning to stop in Moab on the way home from Breckenridge. in a week or two...if you got delayed, and want to run with another rig...it could work out.

Also, if anyone in Breckenridge wants to go out on some technical stuff...we are looking for other people to run with while we are here for the next week or two...

and if anyone can point me to any local clubs, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Chase

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What are your dates? We are planning to stop in Moab on the way home from Breckenridge. in a week or two...if you got delayed, and want to run with another rig...it could work out.

Also, if anyone in Breckenridge wants to go out on some technical stuff...we are looking for other people to run with while we are here for the next week or two...

and if anyone can point me to any local clubs, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Chase
Holy Cross, Chinamans Gulch, and Spring Creek are all good technical trails within a reasonable drive of Breckenridge. I might be going to Holy Cross next Saturday. Still confirming with some friends.

Sponsored

aphillips76

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door
Build Thread
Link
RE: Redcone... note that it’s not hard... except... that drop at the end. It’s basically a steep grade for a few hundred feet that is gravel covered with dropoffs on both sides. I did it about 10 years ago and said lots of bad words. I was in a TJ with a manual. Basically tossed it in 2nd, let off the gas and hoped for the best...

beautiful trail with above Tree line fun. But noted in some places as the most dangerous in CO. Not technically difficult but very high pucker.

Take Weston back if you do it.

Krazyer

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Built!
Holy Cross, Chinamans Gulch, and Spring Creek are all good technical trails within a reasonable drive of Breckenridge. I might be going to Holy Cross next Saturday. Still confirming with some friends.
If you end up planning on it...I would LOVE to run that trail! Just don't want to run it solo...lmk!

Krazyer

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Built!
RE: Redcone... note that it’s not hard... except... that drop at the end. It’s basically a steep grade for a few hundred feet that is gravel covered with dropoffs on both sides. I did it about 10 years ago and said lots of bad words. I was in a TJ with a manual. Basically tossed it in 2nd, let off the gas and hoped for the best...

beautiful trail with above Tree line fun. But noted in some places as the most dangerous in CO. Not technically difficult but very high pucker.

Take Weston back if you do it.
I looked at Redcone...I am hoping to get on some more technical stuff. I just got my lockers working again and the old girl needs a work out!

I appreciate the post!
Sponsored